Rear Lights

cranston_richard

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

If the rumour is true about new rear lights on the GTI then it's best to wait and see what they are like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, have heard that LED rear lights could become a feature in the not too distant future? Come on all you VW insiders, spread the knowledge the_finger.gif

I'm just going with the flow....A waterfall down the slippery slope of modding grin.gif.

I would deff go for them....Safer in use than current rear lights which suffer from very poor visibility of the indicator if braking at the same time - Something you are most likely to be doing often! That's my excuse anyway wink.gif.

Do they look smoked to you?

....Very good point. I don't know if that's the case but it's certainly very logical. Someone like Snoopy Geoff is bound to know the answer to that.

I certainly won't be trying to fit them myself if it's anything more complicated than 'plug and play'. I ask my VW dealer to fit such items because that way my warranty is less at risk [He's installing my Carbonio CAI in a couple of hours time].

Another point we should check is that in the UK the bright red rear fog is fitted on right-hand driver's side and white reversing light on left - All opposite to Europe and the pic I posted above. I don't know about the legalities of right or left-hand fogs but in the very dense sea-mists/fogs around here I would want it right-handed for maximum effect. I wouldn't want someone to hit me thinking I was a bike on the far left. Mind you, although I slow right down in those conditions I still seem to travel a bit faster than others who crawl and increase their risks by doing so [talking dual carriageways].

Must say I hate those rear lights, very bling.

Looks like someone has kicked your rear lenses out or you have four big reversing lights. Would be better if they were slightly smoked.

I notice on the passats from most angles except straight on it looks like half of the led's are not lit.

If they are changing them to those thank goodness I already have my car 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

id only go LED if the OEM ones come out , otherwise mine will be staying original.

im not a big fan of aftermarket cack. OEM or nowt notworthy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am with you on that one, otherwise we would be forced to hang around McDonalds late at night!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Do they look smoked to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to tell actually Red confused.gif

The main pic of the lights, they seem unsmoked on the right side (tailgate section) and smoked on the actual main part of the light, almost R32 like?

Agree with you on the safety aspects of the new LED lights, and I must say, everytime I follow a passat, I am green with envy when those funky outer rings flash orange, looks awesome at night the_finger.gif

If they do that with the Golf tho, bearing in mind the old (current) outer ring is the rear light with the centre being the flashing orange turn signal, what will the centre cluster of LED's on the new lights function as then??

Also like the idea that LED's outlast normal bulbs many times over, hence no maintenance, can't be bad 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Another point we should check is that in the UK the bright red rear fog is fitted on right-hand driver's side and white reversing light on left - All opposite to Europe and the pic I posted above. I don't know about the legalities of right or left-hand fogs....

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the legalities, cos I had a vauxhall nova years ago and I imported some lights, and sure enough, the fog light was on the wrong side (near side) of the vehicle and my car failed its MOT.

The reason? Simple, when your car is say temporarily parked up at the side if the road in dense fog, if you leave your lights on, the fog light will be on (of course).

If a vehicle approaching from behind sees your fog light, they assume that its on the proper side of the vehicle (i.e. off-side) and they then know that is the outermost point of your car for a safe overtake. However, with imported lights, the fog light is on the wrong side (kerb side), and to a motorist closing in on you, at the last minute, he'd suddenly find that the outermost point of your car isn't where he thought it was, hence the risk of them slamming into the back off-side of your car.

Think I explained that okay? You could buy some imported lights, provided they're from a country that drives on the left same as we do. If not, you're running a risk, and you'd have to keep your originals to replace them come MOT time 169144-ok.gif