Intermediate oil change

Sponge

I've had my car from new, since Oct 2005. I've done 6800 miles, mostly shorter journeys, but the odd longer one (recently did Liverpool to Tenby). It's on variable servicing and the computer says the first service is due in 6800 miles, or 233 days. I have more or less used the whole 1 litre spare and yesterday I bought 4l of the stuff to keep me going. And here starts my question...

Due to the nature of the driving we (mostly) do and the time to the 1st service, I was considering doing an intermediate oil change myself. Do you think it's worth it? How will the computer react to the new oil? Is it clever enough to adjust the time to the 1st AVS, or would that require a manual (VAG) reset?

I'm quite happy to spend the money and change the oil now. Then go ahead with the 1st AVS in 6800miles/233 days.

What are your thoughts?

Dunno how smart the monitoring system is, not sure if it's like BMW's (I think?) that measure the amount of metallic particles suspended in the oil. Even then I think you have to reset the service indicators.

If you're only doing that kind of mileage, I'd be inclined to give it an interim oil and filter change now. I'm still uneasy about upto 2 year servicing intervals. I'm doing next to no mileage in mine and got Bedford Audi to switch mine to fixed interval servicing at PDI. Great news for fleet managers with a high miles per annum fleet, not sure about low mileage private owners.

Sponge, they will NEVER know. Believe me 169144-ok.gifsekret.gif

I've done 2 changes on my car now, it's 2 on Sept 1st and it pains me to have to pay Audi £300ish for nothing more than an oil change and new pollen filter.

It's often discussed and most people will agree if it's your own car and you're keeping it for a few years, do an annual oil and filter. I've seen Turbos seized solid on 3yo cars with FSH due to carbon and sludge build up in the oil feed pipes (2 year intervals)

Just ask a 1.8t owner that's had sludge problems................... smashfreakB.gif

It costs me less than £35 and an hour of my time to change my oil, well worth the extra piece of mind IMO 169144-ok.gif

BUB beerchug.gif

I plan to keep the car at least 3 years, probably 5, if not longer. I'll probably get it serviced by Audi during the warranty (I know I don't have to) but then by an independant. I'd rather do it myself, but I know some people like to see stamps in the service book come resale time.

Sorry if my post mislead..........

What I was trying to say is even though technically my car doesn't need a servive, parting with £££'s for an Audi stamp annoys me frown.gif. I will maintain FASH but will only do the minimum necessary to get the dreaded stamps. It's a fact that a service book full of stamps helps a lot with the 'lemmings' come resale. I maintain all my vehicles regardless of cost myself. In fact I normally go way OTT and my time aside, save loads in the process 169144-ok.gif

Lets face it though for a keen DIYer a basic service is a couple of hours work on the drive or in the garage. No more time than it takes to give a car a proper wash. Guess I should've bought a used car but couldn't find what I was after at the time........ smirk.gif I know there aren't many keen DIYers here but that's my veiw.

BUB beerchug.gif

Nah, you didn't mislead. I totally agree AB. 169144-ok.gif

I'm used to servicing my own cars. It's something I inherited from my dad, he was the same. It's only since my last new car 3 years ago and this one (all my previous cars have had no warranty to worry about), that I've felt obliged to pay someone else to do it in the hope that it may add value come resale time.

smashfreakB.gif

Heck, I had to MOT my Land Rover last month so I took the opportunity to change the engine oil, filters, gearbox oil, overdrive oil, axle oil, hub oil and flushed the cooling system (the list goes on...), all so it was ready for the MOT and rapidly approaching winter. Last year I renewed practically the entire braking system. I rather enjoy doing it tbh. suicide.gif

But it's not something I anticipate having to do with the Audi. wink.gif