Engine gone, anyone else had this problem...

JamesTdiSport

So there I was myself, the Wife our three month old and my two younger step sisters, a boot full on our way to Nottingham and twenty miles down the road the coolant light comes on, and the temperature shot to 130, got across to the hard shoulder and popped the bonnet.

Coolant level looked fine through the tank considering the engine was hot, so gave it a couple of minutes to cool a little and then took off the header tank filler cap and then guess what poored out, oil!!!!!

35'000 miles on a 1.9 Tdi 130 and the head gasket has gone with style... anyone else had this? anyone think the head could be badly damaged based on the amount of oil in the water?

And don't even get me started on Audi Assistance FIREdevil.gif we waited nearly 2 hours on the M6 to be rescued, then the poor RAC guy had to straight bar us 17 miles back to the nearest dealership, but thats a whole other story.

Rant over...

if they blame it on me, they will wish they'd never sold me it in the first place ;-) I was fuming the way I was treated on saturday, got to go into the dealership tomorrow so will see how they deal with me tomorrow on a working day, as it appears after 12pm on a saturday the world stops rotating until monday morning

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Head gasket went on the wife's 316tiES after only 6K from brand new. Of course dealer blamed it entirely on her!! They were good at that!

[/ QUOTE ]

How? How can she be responsible?

[/ QUOTE ]

They had the audacity to blame her driving style for it and not regularly checking the oil and water level. Complete feckwits. I've never seen a woman lose her cool in front of a man quaking in his boots before, gave me immense satisfaction.

wish I had seen this earlier!..

The oil cooler is a known problem and I have had it go on 2 Audi's and 2 VW's which use the same component. Its easy to change and worth doing as a precaution on older Audi's in my opinion.

Look at the square block the oil filter is attached to and that is the cooler; it uses water to cool it..