RedRobin

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

Red, if the dealer flashes your ecu to update it then you'll need to go back to your revo dealer so that he can put the revo code back on.

the dealer reflash will overwrite your revo software data.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Not according to Revo themselves. I have just double checked this with them directly. The Revo Performance settings will not be destroyed according to them. IF that was the case, I anyway know that my Revo dealer would restore my remap free of charge.

I hope this clears up this question for anyone else but if I find differently I will post it here.

169144-ok.gif

.....Carbonfibre is much much much lighter!! However, unless you have a full-race track car, the weight saving will make no difference to performance.

It will make a difference to performance but whether

you can tell on the road I'd dought. Didn't you say the AP's were 5kg lighter than standard? Then a carbon bonnet saves another 6-7 kg. Am I right in thinking that in motor sport they say 1kg loss = 1 BHP gain? God I'll have to go on a diet!

....It's very likely that a VW dealer will update your ECU if VW have made one available and consequently overwrite your remap. Solution is to reinstall your remap afterwards. It's also a good idea to change your map back to stock before the Service - Partly why I chose Revo with its switchability but other tuners have this feature too now.

Well it has not changed since they had the car but then again that would mean they had to do some thing for there money.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Sorry, RRR - I thought you were talking about the weight saving of only the Carbonio CAI !! If you've read my AP Racing brakes thread you'll have possibly noticed that the AP brakes are much much lighter than the OEM brakes - Surprising but true - We weighed them while I was there.

I'm just thinking of ways of getting better preformance with out putting any more power through the front wheels. As you have been saying with around 250 BHP the car feels well balanced and getting the power down is not an issue. How ever tempting 270+ is I don't want to go to far and make my car a pain to drive. Do the AP's weigh 5kg lighter each or as a pair?

I was very interested to read about you suspension and if money permits thats the way I'll go. Have you any thoughts on strut braces and poly bushes?

RRR > Getting the power down with Stage1 (don't know what bhp until I rolling road again) isn't an issue as long as you don't boot it hard on a slippy road. I don't drive like that anyway but there is sometimes the odd occasion when you need to and after some juddering and knocking the ESP kicks in. You can have wheelspin on the standard GTI too.

Yes, AP's weigh 10.6 Kg and OEM weigh 15.10 Kg each front corner. I haven't got strut braces for road use. Ray West did my suspension and he has built a few race cars so he knows what he's doing. The Eibach ARBs come with poly bushes.

I'm of the very strong opinion that if you remap you only fully benefit if you upgrade the brakes and suspension as well. They all compliment each other and result in a nicely balanced car. I did my suspension last Feb, so I spread the costs and also experienced what each mod was doing as I've never modded a car before.

It's been fully discussed before that you don't get a penny back from modding but you do get the huge pleasure of driving such a car. The big question has to be that even if you've spent say £30K overall, what car could match the Mk5 GTI for £30K unmodded? I don't mean for 0-60 figures etc but for driveability and the fun factor but all in a very practical car.

Snoopy will probably say Skoda or Cupra grin.gif. 169144-ok.gif

Yep I agree.A few weeks ago I started to test drive a few cars as I though I needed a change. Looking around I realised why I bought the GTI in the first place and stoped looking. Until I can save up for a RS4 (I wish) I'll stay put.

I've not found my suspension set up a problem. The Morego power grip changes the geometry a fear bit and I've not had to much problem getting the power down. Just have to tip toe out of junctions in the wet but once moving it's not a problem. Even exiting round abouts is not to bad since the new tyers. The nose diving and rolling is a problem though and if the Konis improve the ride great. Would like to do a track day at some point to.

Saving over 10kg of unsprung! Oh happy days they AP's get better and better.

[ QUOTE ]

The KoniFSDs are exceptional - I've driven GTIs back to back on the same bit of road, with and without them. They really kill the nose dive when with beefier Anti-roll bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

If KONI don't start selling these for the MkV .:R soon I'll be driving to Italy to make them myself SAUER0421.GIFsmashfreakB.gif

coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I've just contacted AP Racing to ask if they are producing a BB kit for the Mk5 .:R, not that you need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

be interesting to see what AP come up with Robin, suspect 6 or 8-pot will be an option 169144-ok.gif

and a good excuse to post what they need to match grin.gif

1012569-brakes_clean_side.jpg

In reference to the dealer reflashing the ECU, this will clear all other performance maps that were on the ECU. You will need to go back to the Revo reseller to get it reflashed, which they will do free of charge.

I know this as one of my dealers i used reflashed my ECU with the 6463 software without asking me and when i went to switch to Revo it wasn't there. Tho it worked in my favour as when i went to BBT i was told about the stage 2 map.... FIREdevil.gif

HTH

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

....And I'd just like to reiterate that switching back to standard ECU for a dealer visit isn't to conceal the remap but is advisable for the dealer's diagnostics and work, particularly if VW have a software upgrade available.

[/ QUOTE ]

So can the dealer tell if you have a remap even if it's switched back to standard mode or is it completely invisible?

My understanding is that it's invisible at local dealership level but a fuller investigation using equipment in Germany over a contested issue may expose the remap. But I don't actually know the definitive answer.

IMO the ideal is what I have done: My dealer is cool, I don't have to hide it, but I do switch it to standard for him to work on more reliably. Then back to how I like it afterwards 169144-ok.gif.

I had another opportunity to 'exercise' my Revo'd car yesterday - 250 miles round trip to a TSN meet 169144-ok.gif. On the way, on dual carriageway....Dry and sunny....Had to sit behind two cars unnecessarily hogging the overtaking lane....I didn't tailgate but politely flashed because sometimes they just don't use their rear mirrors!....No response....Repeat but still no response....I just sit there patiently with a comfortable braking distance. Then a blue Evo appears in my rear view mirror....Driven by a young lady with shades and tailgating me....I move over immediately to let her have a go at the idiots in front....She tailgates them....They eventually move over....Road is clear ahead so I anticipate her booting it away and I pop mine into S-mode and go with her, expecting her S**EVO-plated car to leave me for dead....But she doesn't. We both keep on accelerating but she doesn't gain. We came across the next batch of traffic and slowed with me keeping a good braking distance. However, someone else popped into the space (I don't like to tailgate, even with my good AP brakes) and when the traffic cleared I couldn't hold onto her acceleration from higher speeds and also became very mindfull of license-losing territory sekret.gif.

On my way back from the meet the roads were much greasier and temperature colder. I seemed to get plagued by boy-racers in Peugeots (3 different ones) but found that I annihalated them through roundabouts and acceleration although they kept coming back at me when I settled down my speed on straight sections. Oh, and a Mk4 GTI had a go but my Revo'd acceleration away from roundabouts is pretty awesome. When driving hard is where suspension and brake mods really come into play 169144-ok.gif.

This all makes me sound like a boy-racer myself but I'm just saying that the Stage1 Revo is very very manageable, even on greasy roads with the TC light flickering for very short split seconds - No real traction problems although I fully acknowledge that a R32 would lay it down better.

I might get flammed for this but I think one of the great features of having the Revo (or any genuiely quick car) is that you can blast past outside lane hoggers on the inside safely. It's a bit like riding a bike in that even if they suddenly decide to finally move over you are well clear.

I'd prefer to do this than flash people to be honest - some people really don't have a clue how to drive on the motorway, and some I'm sure some are even quite scared of it. I think flashing your lights at people can be very intimidating.