creaking suspension

njc851

Hi there, lads n lasses

usual tale of woe from a car, going over speed bumps, kerbs and such, at low speeds, car creaks a bit from the front left. so loud it can be heard from well awal from the car. Of course, i take it in to VW, they can't hear it, I go out with a technician lookng for bumps, not a noise can be heard.

has anybody else had this noise? so i can tell them what to look for, as it's killing me, and sounds crap when i pull into car parks, driveways etc.

hope someone can help, i have a few minor issues, well... the car does..., but that's the one thats most irritating, the top of dash vent creak/rattle is supposed to be getting remedied next week.

Thanks again all

I've had the same problem on another car [bMW]and traced it to the anti-roll bar linkage where it connects to the suspension. The nut had come loose, not that you could see but after puting a spanner on it one turned less than a quarter turn, it was enough to fix the problem. So what I'm saying is you need get in there and phically check every nut/bolt on the ARB.

Cheers

Henry

Hi, my 32 is coming up to 10 months now with 11k on clock and im starting to get this too. We have speed bumps coming out of work 4/5 of them :-( and it does this every one. Very loud creak coming from the front of the car.

I dosn't seem to do it when drving along normally ie on the motorway or b roads with bumps etc.

It is crap as my g/f's S=plate fiesta does this and its well old... Looks like my first trip to dealers coming up...

I've had my R32 since last May & it had been creaking for a while. It recently went in for a service & the VW dealer said that there is an upgrade available for the suspension under warranty. Car booked in next week for upgrade - hopefuly that will sort the problem. However VW aren't sending out a recall only if you go in & ask.

My MK5 is 9 Months old and 9K miles. It doesn’t creak after it has warmed up so when I arrive at work its OK but after leaving it all day it will make a terrible creaking noise over the same speed bump on the way out. I also think it’s the ARB bushes having had this on a MKIV. I was hoping it would go away but it looks like my first visit to the dealers is in order. Does anyone know if the geometry needs checking after the repair? I’m sure I paid an arm and a leg for a broken ARB on the MK4 as they needed to drop the sub-frame? I hate dealers going anywhere near my car.

it just happens to these parts zharca - quite a common problem.

speak to your dealer on the phone and explain the problem. They may have heard of this issue and might be prepared to take your word for it.

They should be prepared to at least re-grease the bushes if a straight replacement is not possibly without hearing the problem.

169144-ok.gif

lol, the old creaking suspension that has plagued 3 of my GTi's (including my new MkV) It might not be what you think it is tho... try Rubber lube on all the door rubbers and boot rubbers that seal the doors and boot shut 169144-ok.gif

When dry, the rubbers creak against the bodywork when you go over bumps etc or when thier is movement in the chassis.

Apparently it was me causing it by wiping them every time I cleaned it!