BP Ultimate.

Smudge

Anyone given this new guzzle juice a go?

AnthonyB - you seemed to speak with knowledge. What more can you say?

BP's promo stuff doesn't give out much info, ie Ron levels etc. I did put a tankfull into the Pasat 1.8T loaner I had, and as daft as it seems, I thought I noticed a difference (for the good) straight away. Could have been asleep before hand though. yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Al - even 100 Ron isn't going to fix that lemon of a car..... fuck_scott.gif

How's it running at the moment ?

JT

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh she's true to form, eratic & shite!!! But I'm in negotiations with Ridgeway. Won't say much more here except to some extent it will be sorted soon.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only go on what I've been told and that is the fuel was designed totally with performance in mind. It gets a lot of the advantage from a new way of refining the fuel rather than additives.

Also, BP have been doing extensive tests, allegedly using independant people / facilities, and it's "supposed" to whoop Optimax into the ground for performance.

Like Optimax, I'd be suprised if it was only 97 RON. Optimax is rated at 98 but tests at the pump have often shown much higher - 99-100. Ultimate is the same and I've heard it's realistically more like 100.

I'll see what else I can find out - but meanwhile, I'll be putting a few tanks through.

Cheers all,

Anthony..

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only go on what I've been told and that is the fuel was designed totally with performance in mind. It gets a lot of the advantage from a new way of refining the fuel rather than additives.

Also, BP have been doing extensive tests, allegedly using independant people / facilities, and it's "supposed" to whoop Optimax into the ground for performance.

Like Optimax, I'd be suprised if it was only 97 RON. Optimax is rated at 98 but tests at the pump have often shown much higher - 99-100. Ultimate is the same and I've heard it's realistically more like 100.

I'll see what else I can find out - but meanwhile, I'll be putting a few tanks through.

Cheers all,

Anthony..

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told the RON has not been increased. Its purely the additives etc.. which let the petrol burn better and cleaner. Its more a drive to engine efficiency which will give you better performance.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers all,

Anthony..

[/ QUOTE ]

Anthony, where can this research be read?

Dunc

Perhaps they mean 95 to 98 RON (de do ron ron...)

Someone had to say it! the_finger.gif

Perhaps it should read 97/98, howerver it probably means that you can use any grade of fuel you want, but it will run like a pig on anything less than the best!

I have only used £5 worth of 95 RON when I didn't know if I would make a garage that sold decent motion lotion. Otherwise it is Optimax or now the BP Ultimate. Ultimate seems to feel the same performance wise as the Optimax though (costs as much as well). rocketwhore.gif

• 1 month later...

What is BP Ultimate?

BP Ultimate is a new high octane unleaded fuel that provides better engine performance and reduced emissions. With an octane rating of 98, BP Ultimate is formulated to provide high-quality performance in your car's engine.

What are the main benefits of BP Ultimate?

1. Better Performance

Higher Octane - more power

BP Ultimate has an octane rating of 98 - the highest rating of any road fuel available in Australia, so it significantly outperforms Regular Unleaded fuels. Higher octane allows the engine management system of modern cars to perform at their optimal level for better power, performance and economy.

2. Better Fuel Economy

Higher density - better fuel economy

BP Ultimate is a high density petrol. High density fuels have more energy per litre which means you need less fuel to drive further. This means better fuel economy and cost savings for you.

3. Cleaner Air

BP Ultimate is also Australia's cleanest petrol. It has very low levels of benzene, and sulphur and has reduced levels of aromatics, which means it produces less pollution. Lower sulphur not only reduces emissions but it improves the efficiency of catalytic converters to reduce carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen.

4. Cleaner Engine

BP Ultimate contains a special additive to keep inlet valves, fuel injectors and other fuel system components clean. This helps protect your engine and will allow it to perform more efficiently for longer.

How does a higher octane fuel improve performance?

For those engines with a high octane requirement, BP Ultimate allows engine management systems to optimise ignition timing to give full ignition advance for maximum power. Vehicles are able to operate at maximum efficiency to achieve the performance for which their engines were originally designed. These vehicles will be performing well below their potential, if they are running on Regular Unleaded petrol.

How does BP Ultimate clean my engine?

BP Ultimate contains a very effective detergent additive to control deposit build up. It keeps inlet valves, fuel injectors, carburettors and other fuel system components clean. Clean injectors are important for power and throttle response and smooth running.

Why is BP Ultimate Australia’s cleanest petrol?

BP Ultimate has half the benzene (only 1%) and a sulphur level that is ten times lower than the Australian Standard requires. It also has lower levels of olefins and aromatics.

How does BP Ultimate compare with other petrol grades?

BP Ultimate is a superior fuel that out performs other fuels.

Property benefits BP

Ultimate Competitor

Equivalent Premium Unleaded Regular Unleaded

Octane (RON) min

octane=

performance

& efficiency

98 98 95-96 91

Sulphur (ppm) max

sulphur = cleaner air

& less odour 50 500* 500* 500*

Benzene (%vol) max benzene = cleaner,

& healthier air 1 5* 5* 5*

* National Australian Standard

Higher octane = greater performance and efficiency

Lower Benzene = cleaner healthier air

Lower sulphur = cleaner air & less odour

The benzene and sulphur levels are equivalent to world best practice. The benzene figures above are for the BP Kwinana refinery. Other refineries produce to 5% benzene maximum.

Why does BP Ultimate cost more than other unleaded fuels?

BP Ultimate is a superior product - it not only excels in performance and power (98 octane), it is also Australia's cleanest petrol. The price difference between BP Ultimate and other unleaded fuels is due to the increased refining costs of producing such a revolutionary product.

Which cars can use BP Ultimate?

BP Ultimate is suitable for all vehicles currently using unleaded and leaded fuel. However, pre-1986 vehicles (ie. cars running on Super) and high performance vehicles will benefit the most from BP Ultimate. For cars currently using Super, valve-seat protection additives are recommended to be added to the tank. These are available at where BP Ultimate is being sold. Some pre-1986 cars are able to run on unleaded fuel without requiring an additive. To find out which pre-1986 models can use unleaded fuels, and therefore BP Ultimate, click here, being sure to note the conditions required for particular vehicles.

For leaded cars how much valve-protection additive is required?

This would depend upon the type of additive used. There are a number of products currently on the market. Follow the manufacturers' directions.

Will BP Ultimate replace Premium Unleaded?

No. Premium Unleaded (PULP) is a 96 octane fuel and will continue to be available. However, some sites may have PULP replaced with BP Ultimate due to the restrictions we have on the number of products we can sell.

When will BP Ultimate become more widely available?

It is currently being rolled out to more and more service station sites across Australia. To find your nearest BP Ultimate site, click here.

Trends show that more and more high performance engines are being driven on our roads. As these numbers increase, the demand for a higher octane fuel will also increase, such that it is anticipated that in the future, BP Ultimate will become as widely available as is the current BP Premium Unleaded.

What if I have had my pre-1986 vehicle tuned to run on the current fuels?

Some pre-1986 engines were built when the octane rating of the fuel was 97 or 98. These engines may have been detuned to run on current fuels. If this is the case, you will be able to retune your engine to operate on the higher octane BP Ultimate. This will lead to better performance, better fuel economy and fewer emissions.

How is the octane rating boosted?

BP Ultimate is a blend of more high octane unleaded components from particular streams of the refinery, namely the reformate and alkylate streams.

Where can I get more information?

For more information on BP Ultimate, please contact the BP Lubricants and Fuels Technical Helpline, on 1300 139 700 from 8:30 am and 5pm EST for the cost of a local call.

© 1999 - 2003 BP p.l.c.

It seems fine, Optimax is not available in Western Australia (it is available on the East Coast) because the Shell refinery hasn't been upgraded to make it.

But the BP Ultimate seems Gr8.

I'm interested in how much more they charge for Optimax / Ultimate over regular unleaded in the UK, US and other markets.

In Australia I pay about;

Regular Unleaded 84.9c / per litre

BP Ultimate 91.9c / per litre

And this will make you laugh....

Regular Diesel 94.9c / per litre smashfreakB.gif

So about an 8% markup for 98RON over the regular stuff.

Groover