• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

but.... ALL vw's are imports.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly !!!

Think about it this way you can save £ 3,000 to £ 4,000 amnd get exactly the same car and as a added bonus not have to deal with the 123576-assfeck.gif UK VW dealers.

Would highly recommend Select, Shaun Hutton was great to deal with 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Legally I would not have to declare it as an import, so I would not. If the law was I had to, I would.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check up on that if i was you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't take my word for it, check up on it for yourself...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Buy...hicle/index.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

If the dealer asks if its an import, you can supply false information. If they dont ask it is a diffrent matter.

No, that would be stupid, I am not encouraging lying. The simple facts are that you do not have to declare that it is a personal import (see DVLA website). You are perfectly entitled to say nothing.

Besides this debate is going around in circles. One of the main reasons why I imported is because I am 99% sure that I will be either selling the car privately or px to a dealer other than VW (because I need an Touring next and not a Passat!) which vastly reduces the fact that the car is an import becoming an issue.

I would assume other people who have imported also consider their likely circumstances regarding selling, before they commit to import.

JonnyGTI posted this to a previous discussion, would help to check all these points:

[ QUOTE ]

From my experience with buying an import (from Motorprovider) my advice is as follows :

1. Pay as little a deposit as you can initially wink.gif.

2. Get it in writing on your order form that the car will be to full UK spec. and an agreed date of delivery. Put it in writing to them that you insist the car is full UK spec and must be provided with English Manuals and Leather GTi Folder).

3. Find out what country the car has been sourced from (Holland and Denmark are favourites) and if you are fussy about the smoking pack - check with supplier about this)

4. On collection of car get there early and give yourself an hour to check the car out fully before paying. If you're not happy with anything make sure you can get back home without the new Gti frown.gifsportifs2.gif and let them sort the problem out if need be.

Check for :-

A. Full Spacesaver Sparewheel in boot - (UK Spec.)

B. Full Alarm and Immobiliser (check by locking someone in the car, keep still for a minute, and then move arms around shocked.gif) - (UK Spec)

C. Headlight settings are UK spec (ie headlights are not always on with ignition)

D. English Manuals in leatherbound GTi holder (UK Spec)

E. Bottle opener

F. No dents or scratches mad.gif

G. Radio securty code has been input and you have the number etc

H. Check VIN numbers match between the car and documentation

I. Check all the documentation (PDI stamped etc)

J. Find out how long it will take for the V5 form to arrive.

K. Smoking Pack

L. I'm sure there's a few more things to check as well that I've missed ......

The first 4 above (A-D) are the common pitfalls where an import may not meet UK spec.

I would have no qualms myself about buying another import having used both Motorprovider and Motorpoint in the past.

Hope this helps 169144-ok.gif

PS Don't worry about residuals, yes they're slightly less, but only one of many factors to value a secondhand car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for hijacking this thread but, I have a question regarding the smoking pack, Ive checked on the VW website for the actual spec, but with no luck.

As cars4charity source from holland, the smoking pack is an option you can specify, what exactly is the smoking pack and what do you get in its place if you havent opted for it. My question is specifically do you get a cigarette lighter socket, as I use a GPS and mp3 player so would need the socket to plug them into...

Thanks all in advance

[ QUOTE ]

I thought that you were saying earlier in the thread that it didn't matter though?! confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you know that the little symbol you used at the end of your question was called 'confused'?

What I said was that legally VW cannot record a car as imported by speculation, because that could be potentially false information and neither does the owner have to declare it as an import (see DVLA link). However, that doesn't stop a VW dealer offering only import value trade in price on it if they suspect it is an import. So it matters to the extent that that has a greater chance of happening in a VW dealership than a none VW one. But I do maintain that not every VW dealership is switched on and it should only be a matter of shopping around until you find a VW dealer who offers full price thinking the car in a UK model (which it IS, but that's the story!).

The bottom line is that those buying from a UK dealer have to pay full price but are guaranteed to recieve UK dealer trade in prices. Those importing save around 15% (£3000+) upfront with an excellent chance of recieving UK dealer trade in prices. And even in the small-chance scenario that they are only offered an import trade in price (a) that won't put the original saving in arrears and (b) they have the option to shop around.

I can't see how importers can lose? But it seems some people don't like other people having a result.

I'm well aware that it's called confused. Hence the question mark at the end of my post. A confused person typically will ask a question to receive clarification.

Are you a naturally agressive person? smirk.gif

That was a smirk by the way.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Ive not read the whole thread as it got abit argumentative. So this may have already been asked.

[ QUOTE ]

I would always sell privately and walk into any dealership with cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious

If someone phoned up about your car when you had it for sale and asked

"Is it an import ?"

How would you reply ?

I know its normally the first thing i have been asked in the past both by private buyers and also dealers if asking for a cost to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Legally I would not have to declare it as an import, so I would not. If the law was I had to, I would.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check up on that if i was you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't take my word for it, check up on it for yourself...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Buy...hicle/index.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

So simply you are saying you would lie to me if i asked that question when i phoned up if you were selling your car.

This has legal consequences.

There has been documented legal cases about this in the past.

Christ on a raft, does anyone actually read the posts on here? I said the law is I do not have to declare my car is an import, I said nothing about claiming it wasn't.

Would anyone who has a UK dealer bought car admit their car was imported if I asked, because technically you would by lying if you said 'no'.

End of subject. Except to let you all know what happens when I sell my car.