Corroded Monza 18s....

RedRobin

It was me that was told this ( regarding the wheels being sent back to Germany for inspection)My dealer wanted CC details before they replaced the wheels in case BBS refused the claim )My wheels were not as bad as yours Robin but were none the less at fault.

I am sure this tactic is used to put you off. I continued the claim got 2 replaced FOC and heard nothing more. This may seem underhand ( and is) but i cancelled my CC as soon as i handed my details over ) so they would have had to taken me to court for money. !

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

It was me that was told this ( regarding the wheels being sent back to Germany for inspection) My dealer wanted CC details before they replaced the wheels in case BBS refused the claim )My wheels were not as bad as yours Robin but were none the less at fault.

I am sure this tactic is used to put you off. I continued the claim got 2 replaced FOC and heard nothing more. This may seem underhand ( and is) but i cancelled my CC as soon as i handed my details over ) so they would have had to taken me to court for money. !

[/ QUOTE ]

....CC = Credit Card? I only use a Debit Card.

But it sounds as if it may be worth pursuing - Afterall, the wheels are indisputably at fault. I can always fall back on my second option of refurbishing. Watch this space!

beerchug.gif Cheers!

[ QUOTE ]

If they aren't sent back to BBS every time then just why can't the garage make a judgement call on this and replace them confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

His dealer will have to put the claim in against his car which from the chassis details will show that the car originally came with 17'' wheels,if they were to make a judgement call and replace them off their own back i can expect they will end up footing the bill when VW kick the claim out and i'm sure they would love that.

Sorry to hear about your problems Robin. As you know I was interested in Oli's wheels when he was selling but this exact issue with warranty for the wheels being on a different car and with a different dealer concerned me a lot and also the fact that VW could start to adapt a harsher approach to all wheel problems no matter if the wheels were original equipment on that car or not.

In the end I went for replicas which are excellent copies, minimal extra weight and at a much lower cost should I damage one I will simply buy another replica. I feel I made the right decision as there are so many reports now of corroded Monzas.

Hi Dave_K - I've just returned from seeing a 'LegalEagle' and I would have a very strong case under consumer law. I am advised to collect the appropriate paperwork from the original purchaser (Oli and Euroimports). Although I have bought the wheels making them second-hand, the warranty still applies - warranty doesn't become nul and void to the subsequent owner. If you buy a car with 2 years warranty remaining, the warranty still applies.

Whether I ultimately decide to refurbish privately or pursue my case with VW or even buy replicas, is something I'll decide later. Presently, it's a matter of principle and neither myself nor Oli are at fault.

Out of interest, are your replicas diamond-cut and lacqueured and potentially open to the same corrosion?

All a bit disappointing really isn't it? Nobody on here has recommended their dealer more than you RR and whilst they might be between a rock and a hard place with regard to recovering funds / getting authorisation from VW UK, it really ought to be them doing the running around and looking into the legal aspect and supporting you as a loyal genuine customer.

I totally agree Robin that neither you or Oli are at fault in any way and if I was in your position I would be fighting very hard for replacements and writing some very direct letters. A polite but very direct letter to VW UK is an option, stating yuor disappointment etc, how you would think twice about buying another VW etc given their approach to this very clear warranty issue.

Problem I saw with buying technically secondhand wheels was in the dealer goodwill side of things. If some dealer contribution was required to rectify the matter then your dealer did not get the original sale of the item and therefore will be less willing to contribute. Your good relationship with your dealer will help but understandably their approach may be that these wheels are not their problem. Given the problems with BBS and a large number of requests for replacement wheels at high cost this makes your gaining of replacments a bit harder I feel. Just keep on to them and maybe VW Uk of whom you are a customer but unfortunately these wheels are from a car that was not their custom. Its all a bit messy having so many parties involved. I reckon your best bet is to keep on to your dealer and maybe talk to the dealer prinicipal. If you have no satisfaction just adopt the approach I have used in the past. Encourage the person you are talking with to move slowly to the centre of the showroom then talk loudly about how bad their customer service is etc and about how they just want a sale and then do not want to rectify problems. Make sure the showroom is full of prospective customers and you may well find you quickly get asked to the managers office who tends to very keen to solve your problems.

To be fair to my dealer (Loders of Dorchester), one of my usual contacts there (who has actually gone well out of his way re the separate subject of new tyres of my choice) has chatted to me at length today to explain the various points of view and the worst scenario, and it was he who suggested I give VW UK Customer Service a call. As Dave_K rightly points out, the subject is complicated by the Monzas not being supplied with my original car.

Whereas my dealer has no direct responsibility, he is however obliged to act as agent in this matter and is totally willing to do so. He also advised that I would be more likely to get results myself rather than he would. It's easy to suggest that that's a cop-out but I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt based on my previous (and current) experience with him. Also, I know better where I am with this if I deal with it myself (plus I miss such problem solving and wrangling from when I ran my own business!).

I now have a case number with VW UK, they are sounding as if they will consider my problem as a "manufacturing failure" (which it clearly is) and they have said they'll "do all we can to help". For now, I'm discussing the matter by phone in order to discover their attitude, my options, and to try to reach an amicable solution but will write letters once I know which way this is going to go. IF this whole thing got legal, it would be important that I made such efforts.

Oli's ex GTI would only still be 1 year old (unless it was parked in Europe for a year!).

As a manufacturing failure and one which has occurred a significant number of times (as I pointed out to them), VW should be banging on BBS's door very loudly. I assure you that the white milky residue is not someone getting over excited by the sight of my alloys! grin.gif

I'll keep everyone posted. And if anyone else has any direct experiences on this subject to report, I'd be grateful. 169144-ok.gif

I think they will replace them myself, Because VW Germany themselfs will cover the cost for the first 2 years.

I must admit when i first got to see this design of BBS wheels on a VW product again i had a bad feeling this was going to happen all over again and i thought too myself have the VW group not learned anything from past experiences with this finish of wheel on Audis & VWs ?

Mind saying that BBS 'painted' wheels are not of a good standard either imo they too deteriorate with years of use.

For everyone make sure your 18" wheels are ok and try and claim within the first 2 years as from my experience claiming in the 3rd year of VW UK only warranty is very hard.

My 18's are looking like new after 15 months, so are all the others I've ever seen here (other than kerbing).

Probably helps in NZ that we don't have any road salts (well not in Auckland anyway).

Also avoid those spray on wheel cleaners, including Meguiars, Autoglym etc as they are quite harsh.

[ QUOTE ]

Oli's ex GTI would only still be 1 year old (unless it was parked in Europe for a year!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably your warranty starts at the time the car is sold to its first owner, so in warranty terms the wheels are only 12 months old, irrespective of the compliance or build date of the car!

It would be here.

I also have secondhand Monza 18's courtesy of Redragon, though mine I think are the only set in the country, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that they don't develop the problem as the Monza 18's are not a VW Australia listed part.

Good luck with the fix RR.

That might be so now, though I have not seen any other Monza 18's on cars here and my wheels do still attract the attention of other GTI owners - like, did you paint your wheels?

When I got the 18's about 12 months ago VWA were quoting the equivilant around $2900 kiwi, if they were available. Add tyres like the GS3D's I purchased and you come in at around $4300 kiwi. A pretty expensive exercise on a $45,000 car.

Via Redragon I finished up paying around half of that. Love my wheels.

I notice that in dry and warm weather conditions the milky appearance is greatly diminished. The big question is going to be whether the warranty covers a component (in this case wheels) when removed to another vehicle. It's apparently the vehicle as a whole which is under warranty. But I'm waiting to hear from VW UK and meanwhile keeping a very watchful eye on the state of my alloys daily.

I've never used anything other than water or Meg's usual body shampoo on my Monzas.

I remember back when Oli was selling his wheels i raised the issue of warranty problems and at that stage Robin you seemed to get some reassurance through VW customer services I believe. If you have the name of the person you spoke to or a date so that they could review tapes that would greatly strengthen your case now.