Grand Theft Auto IV

Newbie123

More details from various magazines around the world.

Sorry for the poor formatting.

-------------

During the demo, Niko was seen approaching a bus stop. When he reached it, an icon appeared on-screen that enabled him to control the bus schedule. Is it possible to use the bus service similar to how you can with trains?

When Niko pulls out a weapon, the camera positions itself above his shoulder, and a view-finder appears at the centre of the screen. It's possible to lock a target and move laterally to avoid incoming shots.

Stealing a car can no longer be done simply by opening the door and driving off. Now it involves Niko approaching the car sneakily, breaking the glass with his elbow, using the injection cables to start the car, and only then can he use it.

Niko can freely climb wherever possible (telephone poles, fire escapes etc.)

Philip Glass, the author of the Grand Theft Auto 4 trailer music, will be involved in the production of GTA IV's soundtrack.

The graphical improvements are clearly evident when walking over a grating on the sidewalk. You can see what is underneath it, and the light trickles realistically around the iron bars.

During the demo, when Niko passed an ATM machine a message appeared on the screen indicating a button to press in order to access his funds. Nothing more official is discussed about this, though it would appear that you'll likely be able to deposit and withdraw money from the various ATM machines across the game.

As part of GTA IV's new physics, you'll be able to hear/feel the base of vehicles passing by with their radio turned on.

Rockstar says that the usual GTA driving controls have been tremendously tweaked and enhanced.

When selecting a contact on your mobile phone, a list of several commands are made available to the player, such as "meet me here" etc.

Playing the single player game through co-operative mode is not possible, however there will be a co-op mode in addition to all the other unknown multiplayer modes.

According to Dan Houser, VP of Creative for Rockstar Games, they haven't yet figured out if GTA IV is going to spark off another set of GTA games connected to it, and they're currently just focusing on this single game. He does say he "would have a certain confidence" setting GTA outside the United States, such as England in the future.

When asked about a San Andreas Stories for the PSP, he replies saying that they don't have any plans for that at the moment, suggesting that they likely haven't started at all on another GTA PSP title.

According to the magazine, GTA IV is currently 66% complete.

When Niko pulls out a pistol, a crosshair with a simple black cross within a circle shows up on the screen. This could be an indication of manual aiming being available in the game.

Rockstar's humorous take on the number 69 makes an appearance yet again in GTA IV, the editors of the magazine saw a sign for a "69th Street Diner". Another building called "Twitchins", the GTA version of Brooklyn's Domino's Sugar Factory, is in the game.

Niko will be able to climb and descend exterior fire escapes and some meetings will take place high in the office buildings of skyscrapers. It's said that from on top of them you'll be able to throw people off.

Hand to hand combat is also being reworked on for GTA IV, and will feel "much more natural" than before.

One of the radio stations includes an "Eastern European-sounding" dancing station.

Players will be able to change their camera views whilst in a car according to their needs. This however is said to still being experimented on, and that Rockstar want to give better control and "immediacy" to players.

For confirmation, boats will be making a return and the handling is "really nice".

When selecting your mobile phone, a zoomed-in version of the mobile screen pops up in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, where you can use its address book to pitch for "jobs" with gang contacts among other things.

One of the things that makes it easier for Rockstar setting GTA in a fictional New York is that they sometimes get a call from the developers at Rockstar North in Scotland, wanting to know more about a specific building or traffic flow in a certain area, for instance, and using their in-house researchers in NYC they can easily assist the guys back at R* North.

Dan Houser is quoted saying that the Liberty City in GTA IV is bigger than any single city they've done before, giving a more clear indication of the physical size of the game. He continues saying that the "detail" of the game is the big thing.

He also confirms Central Park to be in the game, though it's fictional name is still unknown to us.

Dan says that they're "certainly evolving the way the radio works". He says the same for police behaviour and their reaction to crimes. Nothing further is said about this...

"Fun ridiculous" weapons is said to be in the game, because R* is not going too "naturalistic".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry but why should i have to spend £300 on a 360 £50 on gta and then 'download content'? i don't want to download anything i just want to put the cd in the drive and play.

this console war download battle really alienates people like me who just want the game on the cd!

[ QUOTE ]

sorry but why should i have to spend £300 on a 360 £50 on gta and then 'download content'? i don't want to download anything i just want to put the cd in the drive and play.

this console war download battle really alienates people like me who just want the game on the cd!

[/ QUOTE ]

You can just buy the game and play it. It's just that MORE content will be available via a download, and no one has said that will come at a price.

• 3 weeks later...

Microsoft paid $50 million for GTA IV Downloadable Content

From a conference call held with Take 2's CFO last week:

"The first 25 million is for the first episodic content package that's supposed to go out and that is in March of '08. That's why it moved into current because it's in the next 12 months. The second 25 will be for the second episodic, the episode, and that will be later in fiscal ’08."

http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-45968.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...