'Nurburgring 700' attendees or previous 'ringers ?

JasT

I've booked up for this years Nurburgring 700 which is basically a whole group of very nice motors going over to the 'ring for 3 days. Bit of a cannonball rally, but maybe not as quick tongue.gif

I noticed there's another R32 going, as well as a VR6 and a GTi. Anyone from on here?

Also, I know a fair few of you have been on the 'ring before, can you give me any tips, I'm scared of coming home R32-less!! UHOH7.GIFgrin.gif

Not doing the 700, but doing the Scumball in August in the newly turbo'd Scirocco as well as going to the 'Ring and the Spa at the end of May in the R32.

The best tip for the 'Ring is preparation (as for any track day). Make sure all your tyres are OK and over-inflate them by about 2-3 psi at the track. Use a digital guage - not one of those bloody awful things at the garage tyre pumper-upper. Remember to let the air back out again before you drive back.

Check all your fluids twice a day, i.e. before you go out in the morning and again at lunchtime. When I say all your fluids, I mean everything - oil, coolant, washer fluid and power steering fluid. Buy some of each before you go.

You can learn the route of the track fairly well on GT3 on the Playstation. It won't give you any idea at all about the gradient of the hills - some of them are bloody massive!

Don't go balls-out as soon as you get there. If you're there for three days, you should get the hang of the track by the end of the first day.

The guys'n'gals at Circuit Days are great, well organised and a good bunch of people, so you should definitely have fun!

HTH

beerchug.gif

I had the good fortune of my Alfa 156 V6 breaking down close to the ring in 1998, and did it in a rental Fiat Marea estate, 2 laps and the brakes were smokin'. When you think about those guys like Fangio racing there in the 50's wearing a polo shirt for protection the mind just boggles.

You could check with your insurance company as the 'Ring is sometimes covered (its usually considered a toll road and not a race track but then we are talking about insurance companies!)

As Mook says, GT3 is great way to learn your way round the circuit, especially as you can do it from the comfort of your sofa! And in the R32 with similar tuning.

Mook - maybe you could help. Thought tyre pressures had to be lower on a track due to the fact the tires are going to get hotter than on road and so the pressures will increase as the air gets hotter. I know this was the advice for the motorbike but didn't know if it was different on the car. RS32 has been given pressures from Dunlop for the Clio and they are lower than standard road pressures (different sized tyre but principal the same) and the Cup Racers have even lower pressures to begin with.

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers for the tips Mook.

Anyone got any ideas if I should get insurance or how much it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. You should extend your existing policy to include going on the Nurburgring. You'll need to contact your insurance company anyway as you'll have to let them know you're going to mainland Europe (and which countries you're going through (France, Belgium and Germany for us).

You could use a separate insurance company to insure you for the day or a couple of days, but, if you think about it, they'll charge a bloody fortune, simply because of the risk.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers for the tips Mook.

Anyone got any ideas if I should get insurance or how much it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. You should extend your existing policy to include going on the Nurburgring. You'll need to contact your insurance company anyway as you'll have to let them know you're going to mainland Europe (and which countries you're going through (France, Belgium and Germany for us).

You could use a separate insurance company to insure you for the day or a couple of days, but, if you think about it, they'll charge a bloody fortune, simply because of the risk.

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

who are you insured with Mook for this place?

Well I just rang my insurance company and specifically told them I would be going to the Nurburgring, and that it was a public toll road, but I was aware that some insurance companies saw the 'Ring as a race track. Their response was that if it was a public toll road and you were not at a specific race event then they would legally have to cover me under the terms and conditions of the policy 169144-ok.gif

I guess if it was a special organised event you were going to where it was closed to the general public, it could be argued that you wouldn't be covered under you policy tho...

[ QUOTE ]

Well I just rang my insurance company and specifically told them I would be going to the Nurburgring, and that it was a public toll road, but I was aware that some insurance companies saw the 'Ring as a race track. Their response was that if it was a public toll road and you were not at a specific race event then they would legally have to cover me under the terms and conditions of the policy 169144-ok.gif

I guess if it was a special organised event you were going to where it was closed to the general public, it could be argued that you wouldn't be covered under you policy tho...

[/ QUOTE ]

Its great that you're insured - who is that with?

However, I'd strongly suggest you get it in writing from the underwriters. A friend was recently told he was insured, but when he double-checked later with the underwriters, they refused to cover it. Not good.

I looked into this as I wanted to go in April but COULDN'T find any UK insurer who is prepared to cover this now. Even Greenlight who normally cover UK trackdays won't cover the Nordshliefe now.