Advice from the Golf gurus!

[ QUOTE ]

Ooooo, green? Nice colour on the Golf, but you'll find it a pig to re-sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that dark green is really nice...

From what I'm seeing of the market, these sell quick in any colour, especially lowish milers.

Silver would be first choice, or black, or that dark metallic blue... Not sure I'm gonna have the luxury of colour choice though. As long as it's not too heinous I don't mind really.

Ummed and aahed over a really clean one (55k miles) in that lighter metallic green as well. That was definitely a bit dodgy tho. Other half threatened to dump me if I turned up at her place in it smile.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, depending on what model and miles you go for, the cam belt will need doing at either 60k or 80k miles, and some of them 100k I believe. And also if it's 4 years since it was last done then it needs doing also. Budget anywhere up to £400 for a belt kit, possibly water pump, and labour.

Cheers Rustynuts...

It's looking like a 90 brake from around 2000-2001.

Mileage anywhere from 80k plus. Not really looking at anything higher than 110k (just call me paranoid).

As i understand it, the belts on the 90BHP ones want done at 80k? So I'll make sure whatever I get has this logged.

Thinking what else might go... What sort of money to replace the clutch on one of these?

P.S. Full marks on yer sig and avatar. That bloke was a 24 carat legend. 169144-ok.gif

My 90BHP Passat was every 60k for the cambelt, although that was on a 1995 car!

You dont really know if its been done or done properly when you get the car. I would budget to have it replaced as soon as you get the car, then your safe 169144-ok.gif

It's 60k on a TDI 90. As for clutch, mine hasn't gone yet (hit 156000miles today!) I don't think it's too expensive, I looked into it about a year ago when I was paranoid and I think it would be about £250-300 depending on labour charges at your garage. It's not a dual mass flywhewel.

IMO the best engine, not the most fun. A very well built engine that can run forever in the right hands.

My clutch was changed at 165k but only because the gearbox lost a gear. It was still running ok at 260k when i sold it.

Right I promise i'm gonna cool my heels before this thread starts breaking records, hehe, but I've got a handshake deal done on a met blue 2001Y SETDI 90 with 90k...

4 grand...

It's clean & tidy except for a few honest scuffs and marks. Runs and drives smooth, no knocks or bangs, turbo & electrics all work, 1 previous owner, VW main dealer history (same dealer that sold the car new) right through the book except for the last service, which was 2000 ago & done by Joe Bloggs garage. Cambelt change at 60k confirmed by a phonecall to the servicing dealer. Tax & MOT through to next April. Seemed to me to be a fair price, and fingers crossed it'll be alright. I'm gonna see about possibly getting it serviced straight away & the belt done again just to be safe, even though by the book it doesn't need doing.

Slight downside is there's only one key. I know it can be expensive or even impossible to get spare keys for some cars... Knowing my luck the Golf IV will be one of them. Anyone know the best way to go about it, and approximate cost? I can live without it, but would like to have a spare just in case.

Nowthen... let's see about those allies...

smile.gif

Well done! The car sounds good!

Get on ebay for the keys! Tons on there, just make sure you buy the right one. Then you need to get it coded, dealer will do it for a lot of money, or someone with vag-com can do it too! (vag-com's a computer program that lets you talk to the car and change a few things)

Reeto! Got 'mi Gyolf' yesterday and been out a couple of times... Have to say am loving all that torque at the bottom end! I live at the bottom of a long steep hill and in my instructor's car it was a case of mash it & hope you're still moving at the top. The Golf just pulls and pulls all the way up with hardly any throttle... nee bother... 169144-ok.gif

The decision to go for a TDI was spot on. Beers all round to you lot for that one beerchug.gif

I've attached a pic... Hardly ideal conditions today but feck it... and yes I know it needs a damn good clean wink.gif

So far the "to do" list reads as follows...

1) Allies off t'bay cos the front tyres want doing fairly soon.

2) Sort out a spare key

3) First fine day clean the inside properly cos it's full of crumbs (wifey with kids had it before me I think)

4) Touch up a couple of scuffs on the tailgate bottom edge (bloody women & their jewellery)

5) Elbow grease & decent polish cos the paint's a bit dull in places. I've already read the relevant bits on here... Brilliant! 169144-ok.gif

6) Fix a little niggle with the front interior light (it doesn't light up when i open the drivers door, but it does with the passenger door). I'm sure it's just a stuck switch in the door frame or summat but I haven't had a proper poke about yet. Anyone else had this happen?

So far though, I'm one happy boy!

"Hills? I s**t 'em!"

post-17040-137914400333_thumb.jpg

I could be the door microswitch too couldn't it? I could be wrong though. Try opening the door with the broken light, then press lock on the remote. If it tries to lock and the alarm goes off it could be microswitch which will need fixing/replacing.

Also, are you sure it's a 90bhp? Does it say 66kW on the sticker under the carpet in the boot?

Fixed the interior light last night.

At some point (maybe at the factory) all the hinges and catches look like they've been greased. I noticed this when looking around the car with the dealer.

After reading Rusty's reply yesterday (cheers fella) I knew where to look, and the drivers door catch seemed to be full of ancient looking gunk. Gave it a bit of a poke and a prod and the light came on smile.gif shut & reopened the door a few times and it behaved itself from then on. This might not actually be a proper "fix", but for now I'm gonna just leave it & see how it goes.

benjie: I can't remember what's on the sticker in the boot, I know the sticker you mean though. I think the same one is stuck to the inside cover of the service manual. This one definitely says 66kW. If you're querying this because of my previous post about how the car seems to pull strongly, don't forget it's the first car I've ever owned, so I've nothing really to compare it with. It definitely goes bucketloads better than my instructor's car though (a 1.4FSI petrol Polo).

Can't fault the dealer either. Really nice bloke. Gave me money off the ticket price when I pointed out a couple of small cosmetic things to him (a bit of loose trim inside, and a split rear wiper blade). When I got the car on Saturday both had been fixed. Great service. I'm very pleased with all aspects of the deal so far (touch wood).

Sorry rusty, didn't mean to echo you, I didn't realise we were talking about the same thing!

I ask about the bhp because of the year/wheel trims - I thought it would be a pd 100 engine. But obviously not if it says it in the book!

GREAT colour for a Golf too I might add!

[ QUOTE ]

I ask about the bhp because of the year/wheel trims - I thought it would be a pd 100 engine. But obviously not if it says it in the book!

GREAT colour for a Golf too I might add!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your kind words matey.

I just doublechecked the boot sticker & it definitely says 66.

I thought the PD ones had a red TDI badge anyway?

I did read somewhere in this thread that there were a few later nonPDs mixed in with the PDs... I just assumed I'd nabbed one of those. No idea about the wheel trims I'm afraid. They may be replacements? Or maybe that type was used on all of them in 2001 regardless? As wheeltrims go I quite like them, think they suit the car. Offside front's got a small horizontal crack near the edge, but I'm not bothered about that. I'll probably end up scuffing them far worse anyway!

I really like that colour too. Hopefully when the weather improves and I get some meguiars on it it'll come up nice. It's not bad but not brilliant at the moment.

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of yours as it goes, if you fancy posting one... or PM?