Water Consumption

DanG

2 litres a day is absolutely fine (assuming you don't have kidney failure) and you could get away with a fair bit more than that.

And in general, drinking lots of water doesn't cause you to lose significant amounts of salts or minerals. The kidneys are a stunningly good piece of kit (I always think that everybody should have at least one) and are highly efficient at both diluting and concentrating urine.

Water intoxication is a result of the blood and other fluids in your body becoming overdiluted and therefore water gets in the wrong places and you get swelling where you shouldn't.

Yes it is. Do you recall the young man who died after the marathon? That was from overhydration IIRC - [okay i'm simplifying it abit!]

Similarly there are 2 modes of "common" death post-Ecstasy and 1 is related to drinking too much water.

This ignores medical conditions such as Diabetes Insipidus

• 2 weeks later...

Your water consumption obviously depends on the weather conditions, your own body and what you are doing during the day.

I reckon I drink around 3 litres of water a day, more in summer, less in winter. IIRC the RN have signs on the toilets in their ships stating "You should goto the toilet every 2 hours and your urine should be clear"