[Audi A3/S3] Water getting in gear box?!

doogal1972

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me with this rather strange problem. When driving in the rain (2002 S3 8L) if I go through standing water a little bit too fast or it's a little deeper than it looks I get this huge vibration through the transmission shaking the whole car. It's bloody terrifying! It's def something to do with the transimission as if I take it out of gear and rev it whilst moving it doesn;t do it. It lasts for about 3-8 secs then it's fine again. I have no idea what this could be and I've even mentioned it to APS but they don't know what it could be either. Just wondering if anyone else has this happening to their 8L A3/S3. It scares the life out of me when it does it and sounds like it would be expensive to repair! Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! As usual, I'm not having much luck with my car frown.gif

Thanks in advance guys 169144-ok.gif

Not ever heard of water getting into the gearbox before.

I know there was a quiet recall on the S3's with the centre exhuast section. Driving through standing water would cause an almightly banging noise underneath. This was due to one of the brackets on the centre section being too near the front subframe.

I had mine changed under warranty and fixed the problem.

Maybe yours is the same?

I was guessing what it was as it seemed to be related to the gearbox cos if I take it out of gear it doesn't do it. You can feel it knocking through the gearstick though. That could be something to do with it, thanks for the input Mo-S3, it's been driving me crazy. I'll speak to APS again and say what you've said. I do have a knocking from the underside of my car and it's only been doing the water thing since that. frown.gif

DOes anyone else have any ideas, at this stage as much input as I can get would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers 169144-ok.gif

I understand when you say it does it when your only in gear. But getting water into the gearbox is easier said than done and would obviously have long term effects way after the wet immersion has passed.

Have you had a look at the car from underneath whilst up on a ramp? Give the exhaust a voilent shake. is your splash guard still on? Anything you can notice around the gearbox? Are the engine/gearbox mountings ok/tight?

We can only guess at this moment

[ QUOTE ]

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me with this rather strange problem. When driving in the rain (2002 S3 8L) if I go through standing water a little bit too fast or it's a little deeper than it looks I get this huge vibration through the transmission shaking the whole car. It's bloody terrifying! It's def something to do with the transimission as if I take it out of gear and rev it whilst moving it doesn;t do it. It lasts for about 3-8 secs then it's fine again. I have no idea what this could be and I've even mentioned it to APS but they don't know what it could be either. Just wondering if anyone else has this happening to their 8L A3/S3. It scares the life out of me when it does it and sounds like it would be expensive to repair! Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! As usual, I'm not having much luck with my car frown.gif

Thanks in advance guys 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine used to do the same, very wierd, Audi didn't have a clue as to what caused it. It probably did it about 4 times and I car the car almost 6 years. I'd like to know what caused it too!!

Regards, John.

It happenes to my brothers A3 1.8T too. It's happened about 6 times to me all int eh space of a year, and it didn;t do it before so I guess there is something a rye underneath it. I'll explore the route Mo-S3 suggested and see if I get anywhere with that. Cheers for the feedback!