PogoAlert by Origin...

RedRobin

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Micro Road Pilot 169144-ok.gif

And yes, it's definitely the stealthiest. I bought a longer GPS areial and cable for mine and mounted it in the top of the rear window and the display is at the bottom of A pillar and isn't visible at all from outside the car unless you're really looking for it. The fact it's so small and thin is why I keep sticking with it. I liked the look of the Pogo until you see the side view and realise it's a cube.

....Hmm - The Micro Road Pilot doesn't look that much smaller than the PogoAlert, though it's certainly thinner. But what does it matter if it's thinner? - You only see the front display and there's plenty of space on a car dashboard. It's display artwork seem much smaller - Important actual speed especially. It doesn't attract my interest on the basis of the web site info.

I like the fact that it includes Europe though. Origin need to catch up on that subject.

1215790-mrp.jpg

Kind of hard to make the speed display any bigger on a screen that size. The beauty of the slimness is that it can be stealthily mounted in the ashtray, or on the overhead console or even on top of the rearview mirror. It doesn't have to sit in the middle of the dash becuase it doesn't need to have a clear view of the sky due to the seperate GPS antenna.

post-12700-137914405916_thumb.jpg

....It's just that my VW speedo is so inaccurate that I tend to rely on my PogoAlert (and Road Angel previously) to monitor my accurate speed. Also I much prefer the display being centred on top of the dash and would never want it either ashtray area nor overhead console - Same reason I prefer my SatNav flipped up from the upper DIN area. We each have our differing individual preferences 169144-ok.gif.

Indeed, and mine is not to have a ruddy great silver cube in the middle of the dash that I have to put away each time so that somne chav doesn't pinch it (either for what it is, or because they think it's a micro-small satnav or whatever).

The MRP is so small nobody ever notices it there - it even stayed in place while my TomTom was pinched (previous car).

From your write-up the Pogo sounds ace though 169144-ok.gif - like techieboy, I was all set to order one until you mentioned/showed the side view, so thanks for doing so.

That does look v. good and very tempting, but I just can't handle this aspect, even in black:

PogoAlert3.jpg

I'd feel very nervous leaving it on view while parked, and having finally got built-in satnav (RNS-E) it would feel a real backward step having to remove and hide something every time I step out of the car.

Shame... the display looks fab 169144-ok.gif

RR, how do you find the database accuracy? Obviously, I've got the Micro RoadPilot, a MicroGo (both share the same database) and also a Snooper Sapphire. Without a doubt, the Snoopers database is the worst of the lot (on the journeys that I do) but the RoadPilot database is not without fault - especially on temp SPECS zones for motorway roadworks.

I think the best database I've used (and the cheapeast) is the Talex one that integrates into my TomTom One and provides a much better alerting system than the PocketGPS cameras database.

Database good so far but have yet to see any alerts to roadworks cams though I haven't seen any actual roadworks cams either since having the Pogo.

Gets a bit crazy on alerting to overhead gantry cams every few hundred yards. IIRC, Origin claim to be the original database for others. It picks up all the stuff which is sometimes soon after passing a fixed Gatsby - DS2? GS2? DG2? And it only continues to sound alert while you are over the speed limit, so it's clever at reminding you if you stray by 1 mph.

I can only compare it with the Road Angel because I've never had any other alert product, but I like it especially now its connection is stable. I like the compact size even if not the tiniest and I like the graphics interface.

[ QUOTE ]

And it only continues to sound alert while you are over the speed limit, so it's clever at reminding you if you stray by 1 mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try using any of them through the SPECS zone on the M1 roadworks. BEEP BEEP BEEP - "yes, I know I'm doing 41mph in a 40mph zone but for the last 2 miles I've been doing 39mph and if you had any sense you'd work that out, so f$%k you very much!"

It drives me insane and the mute button quickly becomes your friend. smashfreakB.gif

Or worse still on the M6 with the RoadPilot alerting you that you're 1mph over the average speed limit when there isn't one as the roadworks have been gone for a few months. sportifs2.gif

OK used the POGO for the first time going up to Edition38 in Northampton. Like RedRobbin, I've hardwired mine in, but on the drivers side by the pillar (there was a handy gap which I could feed the power line down to the relay junction box under the steering wheel on the Golf).

First impressions are - there's a bug. Everytime any information panel comes up, it flashes briefly for maybe 0.2 seconds, then jumps to the Laser alert page, and fires off the laser alert alarm which is pretty loud. This is pretty annoying, as it happens whenever:

(a) You go over your user defined speed warning limit

(b) You come to a real camera

© The device looses it satellites

© is the most annoying as it means the thing sounds like annoying video game whenever I turn the ignition on. I'm hoping I have find a fix for this on Origin's webby, or I'll have to unplug the laser sensor (I'm assuming it won't show this behaviour with this unplugged).

Second impressions: The nice big speed display is great, I seem to be automatically reading this in preference to the speedo which I didn't expect, although I didn't catch it reading 68mph momentarily in a 40 zone at one point - yet the speedo was reading 40, so its not infallible. The database seems up to date, it picked up the temporary SPECs cameras on the M1 around Luton, and told me my average speed between the two which was really neat (in between switching to the laser alert page over and over), and picked up every other camera I was aware of on route, including telling you the type (GATSO, SPECS or TRUVELO).

All in all, if I can resolve the laser problem I'll be a happy bunny.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention - it got a little confused on the M25 in the variable speed section. It didn't go off on any of the gantrees which was confusing me, as I would have expected cameras to be present on most of them - except for the last one, which it told me I was doing 70 and the limit was 60, when it wasn't as they were switched off.

....Methinks you've definitely got a bug/faulty unit. My experience of Origin so far is that a phone call will action a swift and helpful response - 0870 205 3000.

That nice big speed display is a very real driving aid and greatly helps to keep you 'legal' where it's important you should be.

Fortunately I don't often travel the M25 and will always plan an alternative route if practical. I have found all that gantry stuff both confusing and potentially dangerous because it's more difficult to feel relaxed and stay focussed on driving rather than avoiding. But that applies to much of UK driving compared with somewhere like Germany. IMO the UK has a very unhealthy driving culture in respect of feeling screwed down by the thumb of authority.

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention - it got a little confused on the M25 in the variable speed section. It didn't go off on any of the gantrees which was confusing me, as I would have expected cameras to be present on most of them - except for the last one, which it told me I was doing 70 and the limit was 60, when it wasn't as they were switched off

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine has always worked faultlessly through this section (J9-M3), I seem to remember it says 'variable' as the limit and alerts 6 or 7 times at various gantry's.

The new section M3-M4 although it has lines painted on the road does not seem to have any fixed cameras yet as neither my RA or Pogo have alerted in that section yet.

I think the service from the company is dreadful, yes they supplied the Pogo as an upgrade very quickly after I chased them for the unit. But when I realised I needed a GPS antenna seperate then their customer services were very lacking.

Several hours on the phone just getting the engaged tone, a complete tw4t on the phone when I did get through.

No answer to the 2 emails I sent

Then when I told them that I was returning the upgrade and wanted a refund, they suddenly sent out my GPS receiver a day after, so by the post mark, they had not sent it prior.

Completely useless feckwits.

I agree that the unit is an improvement over the B2 except for the crappy external antenna connection, why they couldn't fit that into the base I don't know.

i'm sorry you had a bad experience with them, they are usually very good, i know a lot of the staff have been on holiday recently which may have caused extra issues. in the future if you have a problem then give me a call and i will get things sorted out for you. i also i do the trad-ins as well (same offer)....for the b2 units. As for the GPS antenna its a bit of a mine field as regards if your car would require one.(unless you drive a citroen,pug,renault) in ,most cases is does not....but by the sounds of it unfortunatly your car is one of them.

Thanks for the reply, the GPS issue was probably my fault for assuming I would get one in the box like with the B2. I should have checked the contents when ordering.

But the way they dealt with my order afterwards was abismal.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm a lazy fecker it would have been sent back.

• 2 months later...

Go to device manager and check which USB port the Pogo is plugged into, then manually type it into the box in the Pogo software with COM1 in it.

I'm still getting "Error 22" when trying to update mine today. Origin say it's a connectivity error to t'Internet, so I've got to keep trying...

Typical isn't it, I arse about for an hour or so give up and post and then find the answer.

If anyone is interested, I grabbed the USB - Com port drivers directly from the chipset manufacturer (here) , installed them followed by the Pogo update utility, set it to use Com3 and it happily updated itself.

[ QUOTE ]

Go to device manager and check which USB port the Pogo is plugged into, then manually type it into the box in the Pogo software with COM1 in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem was that the USB drivers wouldn't even install - it was showing in device mangler with a yellow !. All sorted now though smile.gif