upgrade for Canon A95?

Waylander

From the outset let it be said that I am entirely happy with the photo quality of my A95 but have found that I have had occasion to need my sister's Fuji Finepix because it is very slimline and thus more discreet and portable [slip in pocketable].

I am thus thinking of trading-on my A95 if I can find a good quality replacement with a slim profile.

Was flicking through a magazine recently and there was a 10MP Canon Ti-something or other than looked nice as well as a Sony....

Any help with newer cameras that fit the bill would be most appreciated 169144-ok.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd say get the Fuji F41d, been winning all the reviews again and seems to be the pro's pocket compact of choice or the previous ones anyway.

I've got a Fuji F30 and it takes brilliant photos and at low light levels that the Canon and Sonys could only dream of being able to take.

just seen the F40 is ~£150 and the F31 £125 so the F40 seems the better bet [newer, 8mp vs 6 vs the 5mp I am upgrading from]

on fleabay seems I can get £70+ for my Canon A95 so £80 or less seems a good punt.

Any idea how it compares with the sony cybershot N2 or the Canon Ixus 850/900Ti?

When I bought the A95 the canon digic processor was supposed ot be the best around

Also - as I am due in the states in a few months, any reason not to buy it from there?

Yeah takes a bit of getting used to, Blue is normally my colour. grin.gif

I think on the newer F40 you can use SD cards as well now that are a lot cheaper than the older XD cards. Went to watch the Feeling on Saturday at Delemere forest and got some cracking low light shots. Amazing the ISO settings you can get away with using it. 169144-ok.gif

so new infact that it hasn't even got a "formal" review and details let alone a user review!

well let me know what you make of it when you get it - espcially indoor/low light shots.

The Ixus 850 got some great reviews I note.

So options are:

Canon Ixus 850/950 [will try to find reviews]

Fuji F31D or F47d (if anyone reviews it!). Seems the daytime shots on the F40d are better but it has less manual controls....

The Fuji is much cheaper too....

I want one I can take good pix of xrays with too so low light performance is important too.

Pity there is no comment on any of these compared with my A95

I'd have more of a look at the F31d. Its got more battery life as its got a much bigger battery and its got loads of manual controls.

I can alter plenty on mine and far more than the Canon that is also a point and shoot auto from what I've read.

As mentioned before thats one of the good things about the F31d.

It has double the battery life of most other compacts, impressive given the quality of the LCD on the back of it thats a higher resolution than most and updates at a higher FPS to boot.

very impressed with the Fuji Tech guys.

Replied straight away and no beating around the bush.

Here is what they said in fully:

Thank you for contacting Fujifilm UK.

In our opinion the F31fd is the superior model out of the F31fd, F40fd, F45fd and F47fd, especially with regards to both control and image quality.

Even though the F31fd offers a maximum pixel output of 6 million pixels, this aids in minimising the signal to noise ratio using larger sensitivity (ISO), benefiting image quality immensely.

The F47fd model is an exclusive to Dixons and Currys.Digital, whilst the F45fd is an exclusive to Argos. The level of control from both cameras is identical to the F40fd.

Will now ask Canon the same question and see what reply I get 169144-ok.gif