Advice needed for a Second hand MKV GTI

ekin_88

Would you join an UltimateRoadtrip?  

1. 1. Would you join an UltimateRoadtrip?

Hello Peeps,

I know this is the first port off call to obtain info for anything to do with a GTI,

I am looking to buy a second hand GTI and have actually found one that meets my spec's and possible price and was wondering if the car is worth the asking price.

Please could you help by going over the spec and pass your opinions to me please.

Price: £18,495

Mileage: 13,400*

Date registered: SEP 2005

Colour: Reflex Silver

Transmission: DSG

Interior Colour: black

Interior Material: Cloth

Volkswagen Golf 2.0 T GTI FSI

Features

Anti-lock brakes

Manufacturers Warranty

Manufacturers alarm

Traction control

18" Monza II Alloy wheels

Tinted glass

Remote central locking

Engine immobiliser

Climate control

RCD 6 disc Autochanger CD player

High Line Multifunction computer full display

Front fog lights

Dual mirrors

Headlamp wash

Armrest

Sports seats

Front electric windows

Heated mirrors

Adjustable headlights

Xenon headlights

Heated front seats

Isofix

Sports suspension

Colour Coded Bumpers

6 speed automatic gearbox

Colour Coded Mirrors

Power steering

Winter pack

Split rear seats

Sound Pack

Two Previous Registered Keepers

I have asked about the two prev owners, its a demo car and one other owner, low mileage.

I will be part chopping my05 Leon FR TDI.

I have specced this car up as new and it totals £25k from steelers and £22K from import

Any comments will be greatly appriciated, I will be test driving the car on Saturday and I have already put a £500 deposit to secure the car already, so its been taken off the market, the deposit is refundable no quibble.

thank you all for reading this post and I know any advise is going to be worth reading and taken onboard.

Should I buy it or not?

Thanks again.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

At least its not like some that are asking stupid inflated prices. It all depends what you get for the leon and the cost to change imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi ya

The Leon is holding its value well so I am hoping to offer them 5.5k max 6k but I will see after inspecting the car and what the stealers attitude is. its a really well specked MKV.

Hi, I paid £16500 for a Metallic grey mk5 GTI with DSG, its done 20k miles 2005 (05) plate, 18" monza alloys, arm rest with 6 cd changer, ipod in glovebox, dual zone climate, usual stuff like auto dimming mirror auto wipers/lights etc, I thought that was quite cheap (and I did check the car with dvla, and hpi) sounds like pretty much the same car as I just bought for £2000 less money... think you might be best to shop around. ps, if you do buy it for 18500 its not the end of the world cos the car is amazing, and the dsg gearbox is bonkers !! haha, good luck

[ QUOTE ]

Hi, I paid £16500 for a Metallic grey mk5 GTI with DSG, its done 20k miles 2005 (05) plate, 18" monza alloys, arm rest with 6 cd changer, ipod in glovebox, dual zone climate, usual stuff like auto dimming mirror auto wipers/lights etc, I thought that was quite cheap (and I did check the car with dvla, and hpi) sounds like pretty much the same car as I just bought for £2000 less money... think you might be best to shop around. ps, if you do buy it for 18500 its not the end of the world cos the car is amazing, and the dsg gearbox is bonkers !! haha, good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi chrisbluebird

cheers for the input, I have shopped around and its hard to find a car close to the spec for the price, I will test drive and see. congrats you did get a real bargain.

are you still having fun now ?

It is top money but you will probably be able to move the price. My only concern is the fact it's been an ex demo. Possibly driven hard on a cold / cool engine and not properly run in. Not really an issue if you only plan to run to say 80k miles but could have an impact in it's later years??? There will be differering opinions on this I guess but just my thoughts....if you don't mind then it doesn't matter 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It is top money but you will probably be able to move the price. My only concern is the fact it's been an ex demo. Possibly driven hard on a cold / cool engine and not properly run in. Not really an issue if you only plan to run to say 80k miles but could have an impact in it's later years??? There will be differering opinions on this I guess but just my thoughts....if you don't mind then it doesn't matter 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you all for the replys, well its been a long day.

the car is based in North Wales and I am based in East Midlands, the sat nav said 3H 20min to destination, ok that will be a good drive I thought. 182 miles total single trip. I set off at 10:30am and arrived there at 3:45pm

It was a bad day for travelling. raining all day slow on the M1 slow on the M6 slow on the M54, A5 got to A place called Terwern i think, a tree covered half the road great more delays, a mile further down the road stationary traffic. a Z bend only this road for miles to get to my destination, a head on smash, Fire crew was cutting people out, lucky I had mt sat nav, I searched and found a farmers road that ran ajacent to the main road, so down i went by this time a lot off people was doing the same, the lane was wide enough for one car and guess what two two traffic. fianlly made it through and joined main road again, very lucky after the accident hot spot.

finally arrived at the destination, had a look over the car, the description from the sales guy over the phone was the car in immaculate condition,

infact when I got there i looked at the car, straight away I saw all alloys had signs off worming, all centre caps was wormed, 3 alloys was kerbed, the sales guy missed them totally, both fog lights was fogged up. a few scratches swirls on the bonnet bumper. not looking good and I have spent over 5 hours in the car for this. i was getting a little sportifs2.gif at the situation, I spoken to the sales guy and mentioned the worming and fog lights, scratches, and how the worming is covered by warranty and fog lights and caps too, but then I made a comment about kerbed alloys would not be covered, he said to me your very knowledgeable about the car, wheels so forth. I said i have done my research and thanks to the guys and gals on TSN with their supply off info, we should be, the sales man knew the problem with worming on the alloy.

they said all this would be changed under warrenty except the wheels which would have to be redone by third party.

they actually let me go out on my own in the car, I spent about 30 mins in the car driving around and enjoying the freedom off getting to know the car with out the sales mans hawk eyes. this was strange first time I have known VW to let a customer out alone with out trade plates either.

on my return to the garage, we started to chat about figures, at this point beep beep beep beep beep beep

He said the book price on my 05 Leon was 9.7k max 10k cost off change was 8.5k he even said his profit margin was 1k and would split it with me as in knocking 500 notes off the car. so 8k for cost off change, I said the book price for my car was 11,480 the guy said its because i brought the car at the change off model and its taken a plumit, so the book price does not count but you do have a really good condition car. i was getting redder and redder but keeping calm.

in the end he said where is the point that i would sign on the dotted line, he is asking for 8k and has suggested how about signing the dotted line at 7.5k

I said let me have a think and he will call be tomorrow, but in the morning I will ask for the deposit back as he said it is no problem to return it, one last thing the milage is wrong it is not 13,400 but infact 15,xxx

what a cheek,

discount! what discount, how can the sales man upset the potential buyer like that, and the question is if the leon was brought before the change off model, what will happen when the makVI is released? MKV second hand prices.

I wont be going to any stealers again, import is best option. no headaches.

but if yout ever in north wales look for the road A44 it is really good to drive mountain road with twist and turns in it crest and slopes 24 miles off it. lovely.

sorry to rant and rave but I feel a bit better again.

thank you all for reading this.

it took the same time to get back as roads was a nightmare.

motor way

fekr.gif

wow..sorry to hear that tale of woe. shocked.gif ...but imho I think you would be better off with a brand new import with perhaps a few less options, to keep the price down.

Motorprovider in Sheffield can't be that far away from you,and they currently have a few new GTi's in stock.

[ QUOTE ]

wow..sorry to hear that tale of woe. shocked.gif ...but imho I think you would be better off with a brand new import with perhaps a few less options, to keep the price down.

Motorprovider in Sheffield can't be that far away from you,and they currently have a few new GTi's in stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi JonnyGTi

Thank you for the comments, I have been to Motorprovider they are about 40 mins drive up the M1, they would be an option to buy from, I have looked on the site and didnt see a dsg, but will rethink spec again most important is DSG xenons and 18" possible 6cd changer that would be all.

I think I ranted lol.gif too much and the grammer was all over the place, sorry. bowdown.gif

Sorry to hear it Ekin, that's a big bummer. I always get dealers to send me detailed pics of the car before i set off. That can often give you a good indication of what the car is like before traveling hundreds of miles (which incidently i'm doing tomorrow to have a look at a BMW in East Midlands crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear it Ekin, that's a big bummer. I always get dealers to send me detailed pics of the car before i set off. That can often give you a good indication of what the car is like before traveling hundreds of miles (which incidently i'm doing tomorrow to have a look at a BMW in East Midlands crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LeMan

Good Luck with the car tomorrow, I did ask he to check the car out but you can never trust another person.

I have learnt my lesson well. but had a great time driving around the twisty roads off Wale's, I clocked up 320 miles on the trip.

i used three quarters off a tank off diesel, I would guess a whole tank of petrol in a GTI or more with the way I was moving along the roads.

the_finger.gif169144-ok.gifjump.gifjump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I drove 110 miles to look at a car and it was better than I expected! a bonus. beerchug.gif

So it's goodbye GTi frown.gif and it's hello soot chucker family wagon smirk.gif oh how things change when kiddies come along! tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

330d ?

That'll make a good family wagon 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Close, very close. An X3 3.0d M Sport. Not the prettiest of cars, granted. But a fabulously capable car nonetheless with an absolute peach of an engine. I just wanted to find one in the right colour (black) with the right wheels (19"s) so at least it looks semi decent. beerchug.gif

I even managed to net an 06 one that falls in to band F 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

on my return to the garage, we started to chat about figures, at this point beep beep beep beep beep beep

He said the book price on my 05 Leon was 9.7k max 10k cost off change was 8.5k he even said his profit margin was 1k and would split it with me as in knocking 500 notes off the car. so 8k for cost off change, I said the book price for my car was 11,480 the guy said its because i brought the car at the change off model and its taken a plumit, so the book price does not count but you do have a really good condition car. i was getting redder and redder but keeping calm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats utter rubbish he is spouting typical saleman BS.

The MK1 old leon is infact holding its value very very well (I own one) Infact the prices of seconhand ones in the NE of England has gone up as the new shape is not well recieved here. I was talking to the guys at the local SEAT dealers up here this past week (most know me through the trade) and they say the old model is easy to shift were as a same priced new model on the forcourt is a pain to get rid of even at the same price! They love the FR TDI mk1s to sell.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats utter rubbish he is spouting typical saleman BS.

The MK1 old leon is infact holding its value very very well (I own one) Infact the prices of seconhand ones in the NE of England has gone up as the new shape is not well recieved here. I was talking to the guys at the local SEAT dealers up here this past week (most know me through the trade) and they say the old model is easy to shift were as a same priced new model on the forcourt is a pain to get rid of even at the same price! They love the FR TDI mk1s to sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for your input, it has made me feel a lot happier knowing your info has come from a good source, that was my argument to the sales guy, this might be daft smashfreakB.gif I am wondering if the dealers would buy my car for cash, I know they sell cars but Has any one ever heard of the dealers buying cars for cash or will I get a really low price for my car in doing it this way?

thanks all. 169144-ok.gif