To AVS or not AVS, that is the question....

nordberg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm keeping mine on AVS but I'm disappointed at the intervals.

I've driven it even easier than my TDi which I drove like a girl. That managed 16k miles (23 months) before needing a service.

This one (2.0T SE s-line) has had a lot more long runs than the TDi had and has been run on V-power rather than Asda's best (diesel) like the old one had but it's looking like 14k -14.5k miles (17 months maximum, probably less) mad.gif

Had my first service a couple of weeks back at 11k miles. Wasn't due for another 5000 miles but I'm still not convinced about AVS and the time periods. I also wanted to get the ECU upgrade applied as I got the car remapped last Friday.

Asked them to switch it to annual servicing and now with the remap will probably have an interim oil change between each service.

Definitely, definitely put it on fixed 10,000 miles/12 months servicing. AVS is a gimmick for fleet drivers and IMO and the opinions of many other people who know a lot more about engines than me, it's better to be on fixed servicing especially if you do low(ish) miles.

[ QUOTE ]

So my first AVS will be due in 1000 miles. I was hoping to get more than 13k miles out of it before a service would be needed. Question is, based on my first 16 months of ownership, is it worth while switching to fixed interval servicing rather than AVS?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are doing that kind of mileage in 16 months you shouldn't be on AVS anyway tongue.gif You must be spending more in top up oil than what you'd save on AVS.

Ok - seems the consensus is to switch to fixed interval servicing. Next question, how much should an AVS for my motor cost me? I'm literally shuddering with fear at the cost of Audi servicing. Is it worth shopping around at different dealers? Worth taking my own oil as I'm sure they will fleece me with their prices.

Oh, and Techieboy, what remap have you had and how do you like it?

OK - I've read that and it makes sense, but I can't relate any of that to your comment:

[ QUOTE ]

If you are doing that kind of mileage in 16 months you shouldn't be on AVS anyway You must be spending more in top up oil than what you'd save on AVS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something?

[ QUOTE ]

So my first AVS will be due in 1000 miles. I was hoping to get more than 13k miles out of it before a service would be needed. Question is, based on my first 16 months of ownership, is it worth while switching to fixed interval servicing rather than AVS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you are too late to change to non AVS as you would have had to have had the car serviced four months ago?

FWIW on the new TT the AVS countdown is far more aggressive on cars which are doing lower mileage pa. My TTR is doing no more than 9k pa (not urban) and after 3k the AVS is indicating a service at one year old. That's fine.

[ QUOTE ]

My TTR is doing no more than 9k pa (not urban) and after 3k the AVS is indicating a service at one year old. That's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't AVS cost more than fixed servicing? In which case how is it fine? Surely you would be better with fixed based on your car requiring a service at 12mths and 9k miles? confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It doesn't. Take it in tomorrow if you want and after having it serviced, ask to be switched to fixed interval.

[/ QUOTE ]

Furry muff cool.gif

So I will get it set back to fixed interval servicing. Now, what about the price? Worth shopping around or is there a standard Audi price structure? Also, worth taking my own oil in?

When I got my first AVS on my 2.0T fsi I supplied my own Mobil 1 ESP oil and it worked out much cheaper for the service. Also before I booked the car in at the Audi garage I telephoned VW for a price and they were £50 cheaper. I got back in touch with Audi and they matched the price.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

My TTR is doing no more than 9k pa (not urban) and after 3k the AVS is indicating a service at one year old. That's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know about the £ but worth looking into - thanks.

Doesn't AVS cost more than fixed servicing? In which case how is it fine? Surely you would be better with fixed based on your car requiring a service at 12mths and 9k miles? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see how it being on 13k miles stops me from now starting fixed servicing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to the fact that the first fixed time service was due four months ago but I guess as the oil is the same from the factory whatever regime you choose then you can change before the first AVS without any issue.

[ QUOTE ]

So I will get it set back to fixed interval servicing. Now, what about the price? Worth shopping around or is there a standard Audi price structure? Also, worth taking my own oil in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, mine was serviced at Bedford Audi on the 1st July and cost £276.58 inclusive. Biggest cost (other than the labour) was 4.7 litres of Shell Ultra Longlife oil at £54.89 and included the 24H8 engine ECU upgrade warranty work.

If my car is now on fixed servicing, why do I need to be using the Shell Ultra Longlife oil? Surely that's for AVS cars only???