Mileage question (+selling it on)

Tonsko

I've seen around here, a few people seem keen on selling their R32 when it hits around 50K miles (on my 03 plate MkIV for example). Why is the 50K miles a 'milestone' as such (even an unwritten one) and should I sell mine before it gets to that? (I'm on 38K now). The problem being I don't think I could afford to replace it with a car of equal stature. Can't go back to 4 pot!

50K is more of a psychological thing - there's nothing major that needs doing on the R32 at 50K or 60K.

A lot of people look at 60K as the ceiling for mileage on cars, as the perception is that it'll need a lot of work after that.

It's not necessarily the right perception - most of my cars have gone past 100K (and one Audi to 180K) without the need for anything more than regular maintenance.

Yes, once a car gets to 100K plus, more things need replacing, but you've then got to offset the cost of repairs against the extra cash you have to fork out for the replacement, plus depreciation etc.

Keep hold of it. After 6 cylinders, there's only alternative option, and that's more cylinders... 169144-ok.gif

Cheers Mook. I wondered if it was something like that. Thinking ahead, if and when I do sell it on, (and I still have a good job of course!) S4 or RS4 is the only way! tongue.gif

I'm so greedy. I should just love what I have. If I'm not careful, she'll hear me and break down smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

........Keep hold of it. After 6 cylinders, there's only alternative option, and that's more cylinders... 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the problem, what do you replace and R32 with if you are not lucky enough to be in a position to "upgrade" confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If you're looking to "cross-grade", Tim, I would seriously consider an early Mk5 Golf GTI or an A3 2.0T - at least you can get (pseudo) Quattro with it 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It was more of a statement than a query mate as im not looking to get rid of mine now as my new mortgage will not be as bad as expected. I just cant think of a similar car that gives you as much in all areas than the R32. It would be a difficult choice if ever the time comes UHOH7.GIF