I give up - Milltek on Wednesday

wytco0

Well despite not actually wanting my car to sound louder I have booked it in for a Milltek to be fitted next Wednesday.

I am hoping for a sligtly better throttle response as I am starting to find the R32 a bit underpowered ;-)

I may well have a bit of a play with some revo remaps as well at the same time now I hear that they offer a 5 hour try out.

Am I right in thinking that a Milltek does not require me to inform my insurer?

PS has anyone had that W12 610 upgrade fitted to their R32?

[ QUOTE ]

Am I right in thinking that a Milltek does not require me to inform my insurer?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're not. You have to tell your insurer about any mods to your car. You'll find it will probably add at least 10% to your premium. You don't have to give the make of exhuast, just tell them it's a stainless steel exhaust.

Even if you tint your windows, you have to tell your insurers 169144-ok.gif

gets more interesting, say I take my 20 year old car to quickfit for a new exhaust, they wont put OEM stuff on but I would not expect to have to tell the insurance company.

I dont have any problem with informing them but the milltek is stainless and so is the original so I think I could argue that its just a replacement.

The pipes are bigger and therefore the car can 'breathe' better which leads to a performance gain - thus you need to inform your insurance company.

Replacement exhaust from fitters such as Kwit-fit are designed to be a close as possible to the OEM part, and therefore treated as like or like.

Fitting a Milltek is a modification to standard. When your insurance asks you the question 'Has you car been modified' you can no longer answer NO.

[ QUOTE ]

I dont have any problem with informing them but the milltek is stainless and so is the original so I think I could argue that its just a replacement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you could, but if you had an accident and the car was inspected before a claim was processed, it would invalidate your insurance. The Milltek exhaust is known to improve the power and performance of the R32.

It's your risk if you don't, but you would basically have no insurance cover. Which is fine if you can get away with it, but it wouldn't just be about your loss if something happened to your car (even if someone else hit you), it's the fact that you wouldn't even have third party cover. That would then mean that a third party could make a direct claim against you for any injuries and all legal costs.

Not telling your insurance company about mods is just not worth the risk, simply because it'll be instantly invalidated. Case is point is a girl at work who totalled her Focus, which had tinted rear windows and chav front and rear lights. No performance increase, but modified from the standard spec. She paid £4K for the car and now has absolutely zero, because she didn't declare the mods. The police are now pursuing her for not having valid insurance.

Don't want to paint a bleak picture on a Friday afternoon - you need to be aware though. If you're in any doubt, call your insurance company.

Even if the additional premium costs you £100, I would argue it's worth it. Having no insurance isn't IMO 169144-ok.gif

Thanks all as I said earlier I have no problem with telling the insurers.

What I have a problem is the way that they tend put the premium up whenever I tell them anything ;-) the exhaust might add a couple of HP to the 250 the insurance company thinks the R32 has say 2-3% max.

I am pretty sure they would put the premium up if I rang them to say that I had had the car remapped so that it could only produce 100HP

Insuring 4 cars is expensive even though I am nearing 50 !!

Hi wytco0,

Just to let you know I informed my insurance company of the Milltek cat back on my mk5 r32 when i got it fitted about 1 month ago. There was no increase in the premium.

Also the milltek is a brilliant upgrade along with the BMC panel filter. I definately recommend it. You will not be disappointed.