new discs and pads

welshpirate

Personally. would use OEM, that is what is tested and rated to your car, though the parts are available aftermarket, the oem pads are usually jurid. Will get shouted at for saying this, but 18 years of experience with fast heavy cars backs me up, never used drilled discs on something that didn't have them originally, grooved or dimpled ok, but never drilled, it massiveley reduces the contact area and they are subject to cracking. they can also affect your insurance. As far as pads go, a well bedde in set of ferrodo premier or mintex are as good as anything by ebc.

[ QUOTE ]

Personally. would use OEM, that is what is tested and rated to your car

[/ QUOTE ]

The OE stuff for my '96 3.7Spt are total rubbish and I would urge everyone to change'em to quality aftermarket kit. I cant speak for the EBC/Brembo stuff cause I aint tried'em. I have the drilled Blackdiamond setup. Compared with the OE stuff that I have had to replace several times over, the BD are fab! cool.gif

I'm another thats not a fan of drilled rotors (unless they are real quality - read expensive - ones like Porsche). There are two types of drilled rotor... those with the holes cast in and those with the holes simply drilled. The only ones to use are those where the holes are cast in as the others crack around the holes.

Grooved rotors on the other hand have all of the advantages of drilled with none of the issues with cracking. They can make a strange 'whirring' noise under hard braking though.

The other type is the EBC 'spotty' where the holes are cast part way through. I've tried these on two different cars and have had bad vibration issues in both cases - not immediately but after about a thousand miles and a few hot/cold cycles.

Careful bedding in is crucial no matter what discs and pads you get. Follow the instructions to the letter and there should be no problems.

To be honest I have had numerous "issues" with ebc products. It would seem that their pad compounds and the material they make the discs from are fine on the hot hatches of this world, but as for the big stuff, thats another story.....

Driled discs originally where about reducing unsprung mass, not braking efficiency, manufacturers that fit drilled discs as standard i.e. porsche, have increased the disc diameter and pad size to compensate for the lower actual contact area.

[ QUOTE ]

Driled discs originally where about reducing unsprung mass, not braking efficiency, manufacturers that fit drilled discs as standard i.e. porsche, have increased the disc diameter and pad size to compensate for the lower actual contact area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. The BD's I bought are both drilled and grooved, but obviously the same size as the OE. They knock the OE stuff into a cocked hat. cool.gif The retardation is much better, the feel... well, there is now some! wink.gif Then there that noise grin.gif

169144-ok.gif

Hmmmmm.... I always thought the purpose of drilling/grooving was to allow the release of the gases that build up on the surface of the friction material, preventing the formation of a 'barrier' of gas which reduces efficiency, and also allowing the cleaning and cooling of the braking surface of the pad. I know that on both my mountain bikes with hydraulically operated calipers using sintered pads the drilled/slotted discs are vastly superior on sustained braking than the plain discs...and they are the same overall diameter using the same pads too....

EBC have a bad reputation with Elises as well. I have known people to completely kill a set of pads in one trackday.

Pagids look expensive, but last so much longer and operate upto much higher temperatures that EBC stuff is actually a false economy.

Mintex and Ferodo are good compromises too, but I wouldn't touch EBC products with a pole from a barge.

funnily enough, pagid is porsche OEM. Drilled discs don't de glaze the pads, grooved do. I have no issue with grooved discs of good quality, only drilled! The contact gas expulsion theory is correct, but if you look carefully at the vanes within the disc, you will see that they are built to force air out through the holes, and in any case, hydraulic pressure more than over comes the build up of gas, its just a marketing thing, large pads usually have a groove cut down them, or in the a8 case multiple small pads to combat gas burning and prevent dust build up between pad and disc..

At the end of the day, its all down to personal choice and how you drive the car. If it lives on the track then maybe, but one of the best upgrades to make to a set of brakes is cold air ducting, something the a8 is definiteley lacking, that coupled with an open face type wheel and good quality brake fluid changed regularly should be a more than adequate upgrade for road use.

Drilled disks are bad.

The standard disks Lotus put on the Exige are drilled and after a couple of trackdays they always start cracking around the holes.

Personally for the A8 I would stick with standard disks and just use Pagid Blues. That's what I have on the Impreza.

Mine did that and I replaceed them with AP Racing grooved (but NOT drilled) items.

Porsche disks have the holes in the casting. Not drilled, which is fine.