Aerial not going up?

jamief

I have one in my garage, it is "slightly" shorter than the original because i fixed it. I bought one to replace mine when mine went on my 1994 A8, but then i fixed the old one to.

Let me know if your interested as i will never use it because this A8 has the aerials in the screen.

Thanks Nick, I'll have a fiddle tonight and see what I can do. How did you fix yours?

Also, mine is a 97...it has the keyfobs that you need to point at the car to work the central locking...and sometimes it makes a feeble little "honk" sound when it locks. Can this be disabled??

Cheers. If I get stuck I'll maybe see about your spare one smile.gif

Bugger, was hoping the honk could be cured some other way.... One (final!) thing; I have to get *really* close to get the central locking to work, is this normal or a sign of dying batteries? I'm talking like 1m or less.

Hi, if the aerial motor is working Vagparts.com can also supply just the aerial and whip for £18. Part no. is 4D0 051 509RS Comes with instructions but strangely no aerial rubber top cap. (Thrown my old one away!) i;m not sure how to remove the rear passenger side trim/paneling, does anyone have a diagram/intructions please?

Hi There,

I had the same issue 4 weeks ago.

If you open up the aerial, what you'll find is that the metal rod is attached to a white plastic cable. The motor rolls this in and out on a wheel and the metal aerial goes up and down as it does this.

The white cable is most likely broken. I bought the OEM replacement aerial (metal rod only for £18) from Audi Swindon. I wasn't able to use it in the end as, it turned out i had a cheap £50 after market jobby...

My advice would be to stick with the OEM aerial housing if you can as the £50 ones are far inferior. I didn't replace my cheap £50 one with another £50 one as it broke within 2 hrs of using it...

...I got a proper Hirschman instead (made by Bosch) which was about £100 and i'll tell you why i did this:

1. The OEM one was too expensive for me although i do think it is a good piece of kit.

2. The Hirschman takes 2 seconds after you turn the ignition on before raising the aerial. This is important because it is one of the most common reasons (apart from snapping the aerial rod itself) why an electric aerial breaks. As you turn the ignition to it's 1st position, the electrics come on and as you start it (by going into the 2nd position) the electrics go "on-off-on" quickly but enough to make the aerial go "up-down-up" and make the motor in the electric aerial work much harder.

3. It also waits with putting the rod down after ignition is turned off, again avoiding the "down-up-down" motion of the electric motor inside it.

4. Hirschman is made by Bosch and the only aftermarket brand that other like Mercedes-Benz use to replace OEM ones.

If it is just a case of your existing OEM white plastic 'chain' inside your electric aerial housing that needs changing, I can give you mine in exchange for a beer maybe next time there is a meet on and you're there? cool.gif

Good luck with it all! :-)

-Oli

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks Nick, I'll have a fiddle tonight and see what I can do. How did you fix yours?

Also, mine is a 97...it has the keyfobs that you need to point at the car to work the central locking...and sometimes it makes a feeble little "honk" sound when it locks. Can this be disabled??

[/ QUOTE ]

i to have a 97 only had it a few days.... and it also has the feeble honk lol.... is the honk to let you know the alarm is armed,did the 97 come with a factory alarm? factory immobiliser?..... hope so,thats what i told the insurance company crazy.gif