1st Service Advice

allanon_1980

Well, on my way home after a most enjoyable trip to the Ring, my car decided it had had enough and wanted its first service. I have 25000km's done. Problem is Im worried will they overwrite my remap, if there is any software upgrades or anything. I dont have Idrive. Ive been thinking of getting one of my own mechanics who is very well into cars to do it for me at work. Does anyone know what is involved, oil, air fuel and new oil?? Also, how do you reset the service indicator?

I think you need a special tool to reset the service indicator. I've heard you can get them on eBay for about £15.

It says in the owners manual what is included for the particular service the car is asking for. Most of it is physical checks.

As for software upgrades, you'd have to ask if they've got any to do... don't know when they'd do those smile.gif

I run a family business and we employ 5 mechanics. One of them is a car fanatic. Previously had an evo 7, rx8, 3000GT, and is now running an evo 10. He does all the servicing on his own cars so I think I should be safe enough with him. Rang my dealer and asked what was involved in the 20000 mile service and he said all it is is oil change, oil filter replaced and maybe the pollen filter.

Similar size garage to mine then, but I would still get the standard saervicing done by the dealer, and extra work we will do ourselves. As Guy say BMW's are very sensitive to main dealer servicing, and unless you are planning to keep it longer than the warranty period, then I would definately get it serviced by BMW, or the price will be seriously kicked into touch.

€30 to courier it, €100 for a hire car delivered Vs. being €4000 down because you can't be bothered to spend €100 on an approved oil service.

Not worth it mate.

Oh, and the first service is an oil service, if you tell them you want it done while you wait there is no way they can overwrite the remap.

A software update takes at least 5 hours and usually takes longer which is why they keep it overnight.