Amplifier

S3_Scot

I want to get a new amp to plug my computer into so just standard stuff. I've got about £150 - £200 and it must have at least 200W output and a remote. Also, can you do a bluetooth connection type thing with an amp? (don't want to have to leave my bed! grin.gif)

Any advice/reccomendations much appriciated. 169144-ok.gif

Nope - no need to match the power output of amps to speakers. You'd never really need 200w anyway. If you put that into your speakers you'd be pushing them to their limit anyway and would probably notice.

Unless you need big volume then something around 1/4 of that would be fine for most people.

The only bluetooth "amps" I've seen are integrated with speakers in the form of iPod/mp3 player docking station type things. There is also a Sony mini system that can stream audio via bluetooth from a phone for example (I read a review of it and they said it was quite good for what it was) but the Cambridge amp and cables will beat it for quality, I'm sure.

[ QUOTE ]

ok so i need a 100w amp and richar sounds is the place to go. there are NO bluetooth amps in the whole word? ?any adaptors or the like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wattage means sod all.

You need an amp that can drive your speakers with out causing them to clip/distort, a decent 20w amp that has an excellent transformer will do this far better than a 200w amp with a transformer that isn't up to the job.

For the money I would look on Ebay, you can get a nice Cyrus amp with remote for this money that was an excellent buy at £700 new.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cyrus-7-Amplifier-...1QQcmdZViewItem

A Quad 77 amp can be picked up for under £200 and these are awesome.

These things go loud when needed, and when you are listening at normal levels they have a massive sound stage that you just can't get from a new £300 amp.

I'd get a Onkyo CR-515DAB http://www.hifigear.co.uk/site/scripts/product_browse.php?product_id=2495&category_id=388

Amp, CD player and DAB radio. It has a digital input as well which virtually no other stereo amps have, especially at this price.

I wouldn't be concerned about wattage. I have 2 amps, both less than 40watts and neither of them get turned up past 15-20% volume. I have 100watt speakers hooked up to them as well.

Virtually any amp you can buy will have enough power so don't get hung up on the wattage.

looking at it more, it looks like long cables are the way forward. 169144-ok.gif

quite suprised that there arn't more laptop/ipod bluetooth adaptors for sterios though confused.gif

so i need a 40 - 50 w amp and i'll get fat tunes out of it or just mediumweight tunes?

Ps. cheers for all the help so far 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

quite suprised that there arn't more laptop/ipod bluetooth adaptors for sterios though confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No market for them! Most people just connect amplified speakers to their PC's soundcard. And, if you're serious about digital audio/video, you'll be running a media server of some form, streaming across a wired network to your TV and hifi.

[ QUOTE ]

so i need a 40 - 50 w amp and i'll get fat tunes out of it or just mediumweight tunes?

[/ QUOTE ]

That will depend on the amp and your speakers. The Cambridge amp is a good cheap amp. So, the rest is down to the qulaity of your speakers. Remember as in the watts, more or bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.

[ QUOTE ]

Ps. cheers for all the help so far 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They're aren't bluetooth adaptors because BT is like 3mbps and pretty unreliable(IMO). Compared to 802.11g wifi which is 54mbps.

I already mentioned Air Tunes, Squeezebox which are much better ways to stream music. Also, as people already mentioned forget about wattage. It's really not important, especially for a bedroom.

It's like buying a car because it has the biggest spoiler thinking it will go faster.

just re read the whole thread in full & have missed some posts for some reason confused.gif

right a few more questions re. wattage. so i don't need to match the speaker wattage to the amp wattage but what do i need to check to make sure everything is ok?

are valves better than transducers?

it is a bedroom system, but it will be used outside etc from time to time and i need fat tunes from it. so will £150-£200 be enough for this?

the speakers cost £1000 5 years ago, getting them in august from a hip hop shop and they sound amazing (but his system cost £5k frown.gif )

OK, then check out www.hififorsale.com

Some good gear on there, search for Cyrus, Audiolab, Arcam, Quad, Naim, Linn.

Some of these 2 channel amps are being sold off for peanuts as the guys are moving to multi channel systems.

The Cyrus III, IV and VII are stunning little amps, very loud when needed with a bass slam on it that will beat every £500 amp on the market at the moment.

You can look at Valves if you want a warmer sound, but you need efficient speakers and they are not loud and tend to be a bit pricey, I have a Unico for my PC, I do quite a bit of music stuff on it, which is a hybrid, valve pre amp stage and solid state power amp stage. Very neautral amp and never sounds harsh even when driven very hard!!

http://www.salisburyhifi.co.uk/website/unison/unison-unico.htm

But you are getting a bit more expensive, even when used.

The new Pioneer 2 channel amps are really nice sounding, very open and detailed and not silly money either, worth looking at.