Fuel for 1.8T/2.0T A4s S lines

Paulstevo

Was informed by another member on here that best fuel to use for A4 1.8T etc was Shell Optimax this gave slight increase in BHP...

Shell now have new fuel that looks like it is the replacement for Optimax called V-Power ..

Any one using this fuel or can clarify that it is best fuel to be using..(as it is the most expensive on the forecourt)

Read the label on the fuel filler flap and the information in the owners manual.

For example, for the RS4 it says 98 RON should be used, but 95 RON can be used "in emergencies" and 91 RON should never be used.

If 98RON is recommended then V-Power (the new name for Optimax) is felt by many (most?) to be "the best".

There's one other advantage using 98RON fuel with FSI engines - 98RON petrol is usually lower sulphur than 95RON petrol so the FSI engine has to do less frequent purge cycles to remove the trapped sulphur by-products from the cat. Result? - approx 10% better mpg. So if you pay less than 10% more for 98RON compared to 95RON it will actually cost you less to run your car because of the better mpg you will be getting!

I take an 8 mile round trip to the nearest Shell garage to fill up with V-Power...

[ QUOTE ]

There's one other advantage using 98RON fuel with FSI engines - 98RON petrol is usually lower sulphur than 95RON petrol so the FSI engine has to do less frequent purge cycles to remove the trapped sulphur by-products from the cat. Result? - approx 10% better mpg. So if you pay less than 10% more for 98RON compared to 95RON it will actually cost you less to run your car because of the better mpg you will be getting!

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting. with a thirsty 4.2FSI to feed I might have to consider this.

[ QUOTE ]

Was informed by another member on here that best fuel to use for A4 1.8T etc was Shell Optimax this gave slight increase in BHP...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely true, using 95 gives a slight drop in performance, using the correct fuel i.e 98 produces the stated output for the engine. 169144-ok.gif

This has been discussed several zillion times on here, just do a search on Optimax. 169144-ok.gif

Tesco 99RON does it for me!

I ran V-Power/Optimax for 2 months, then reset all my gauges and did the same for the Tesco stuff, got .5mpg more with Tesco (Clubcard points, and a few pence per litre cheaper too 169144-ok.gif)

There was a post on here linking to some indepth study on which fuels are best, and Tesco came out top.(Will search and post the link if I can find it)