2.0Tdi - torque limited in first gear?

Ari

Been driving an A4 Avant 2.0Tdi today, courtesy car.

Anyway, thing is it felt positively asthmatic in first gear, then drop it into second and away it went!

So is it torque limited in first? Felt very odd and artificial if so. crazy.gif

(Think I'll stick with my 1.8T petrol. That's torque limited in every gear, but at least it's consistent. grin.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

Been driving an A4 Avant 2.0Tdi today, courtesy car.

Anyway, thing is it felt positively asthmatic in first gear, then drop it into second and away it went!

So is it torque limited in first? Felt very odd and artificial if so. crazy.gif

(Think I'll stick with my 1.8T petrol. That's torque limited in every gear, but at least it's consistent. grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

From the 2.0 TDI A4s I've driven I also suspect that torque is limited to save the tyres - it still gets a bit excited in 2nd too

This is interesting reading. Possibly explains why it is so difficult to get a smooth start with a 2.0 PD 140 DSG unless you are feather light on the throttle from a standstill. A sudden rush at 2000 rpm cannot help.

Wonder if the Bluefin allows full torque to be used? Probably not. Is torque limited in first in quattro models? Probably so if Audi say the limit is to save the clutch rather than the tyres.

Ian

[ QUOTE ]

yes, mines flat below 2k revs then woooosh.

It takes some getting used to when pulling out with low revs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats whats called a turbo wink.gif

Clutches are pretty much covered under the 3 year, 60000 mile warranty anyway. Either way the map was created to cure a 'stutter' at 2000rpm, they've just reduced power in 1st to increase the life of clutch and components.