Low Fuel Warning

jamief

On my 97 A8, the fuel gauge seems to work quite consistently, however as soon as it gets down to the "red area" (i.e. the last 1/4 of the tank according to the gauge), it shoots down very quickly.

For example, say I get 100 miles from 1/2 - 1/4, I might only get 10 miles from 1/4 before the needle is right on empty. Is this just due to the shape of the bottom of the tank?

Also, anyone ever run their tank dry and seen how many miles you get once the fuel warning light comes on?

Yeah it seems that way doesn’t it but I’ve put that down to my heavy right foot. grin.gif

Don’t even think about running your tank dry NONO3.GIF, as you’ve pointed out these have a peculiar shape; sort of like a pair of lungs to make way for the rear diff. and Quattro system so these tanks have some corrugated pipes inside that run to the corners to suck fuel from the extreme corners. These can easily break with age and running them dry. Needless to say you’d be left high and dry whilst you still have fuel in the tank, the fix is a new fuel tank which is labour intensive. Even with the tank off the car its nigh on impossible service anything apart from the fuel pump assembly and the balancing pump doo-whacky.

Having said all that I got an extra 20 miles on the M40 once yes I know that was irresponsible but there was a big accident on the that road involving some trucks or something and I got lost trying to get around it.

smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

On my 97 A8, the fuel gauge seems to work quite consistently, however as soon as it gets down to the "red area" (i.e. the last 1/4 of the tank according to the gauge), it shoots down very quickly.

For example, say I get 100 miles from 1/2 - 1/4, I might only get 10 miles from 1/4 before the needle is right on empty. Is this just due to the shape of the bottom of the tank?

Also, anyone ever run their tank dry and seen how many miles you get once the fuel warning light comes on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Having had to empty a fuel tank completely when removing it from a car, I'd say there is about a gallon left when the needle says nothing - however, like Ska rightly points out, it doesn't mean you can reliably suck that whole extra gallon out......

I find the last bit of the tank goes quicker in all 8's, but I must admit the 3.7 we got recently plummeted like stone, one minute loads of fuel, next minute nothing... Maybe a combination of bad design and fault....

(and no, it wasn't a leak...., but we did check! 169144-ok.gif )

Yep, thats confirmed what I thought, thanks guys. I'd never deliberately run the tank dry btw, just nice to know for emergencies sake! And boy does this thing drink, not helped by the fact I was using a 50mpg Clio just prior to this!

The other thing to be aware of is that the fuel pump must have constant flow other wise its bye bye pump.

My LPG fitter was very emphatic about this. If I were to run my tank (petrol) dry and run on gas then I would almost certainly total the fuel pump.

Running out of petrol and leaving on the ignition may do this. frown.gif

Mike

Mine does the same too... Last bit of the red seems to vanish. And on DIS last night it claimed I had 70 miles left in the tank when 40 miles from home. Cruising quietly at 75-80 on the M6 for that 40 miles saw it say zero just before I got to my exit.... So I would guess the tank shape fools all the electronics and not just the guage!

Useful to know about the pump there too.... Food for thought there for when I get mine converted....

Yeah I know what you mean, but in my case the whole 100mile trip (less 5 miles - 2.5 at each end) is motorway. Therefore with 40 miles to go and it saying 70 in the tank and no increase in traffic, hills, speed etc (i.e. on cruise) you'd expect to have 30 miles or so in the tank when you leave the motorway... yet I had 0!!! Seems weird to me...

I've seen this before on trip computer equipped Audis - the estimated range is pretty accurate with more than half a tank left, but gets more and more pessimistic once you're below a quarter of a tank.

I think it's set up this way in an attempt to 'protect us from ourselves'.

My friends' Renault trip computers give up completely at 30 miles remaining! ROLLEY~14.GIF