Can't decide, 335i saloon vs touring....

flux

Pretty much decided that 335i is the way to go for me (had another test drive today) ECLIPSe.gif

But...the saloon boot isn't exactly huge, and though I can get all of my kids stuff in it (pram etc) there isn't a lot of room left over (yes, I did take it all to the showroom to try to fit it all in...). Now if I was a bit more organised about the way I packed it in, I could have done it better, but it did get me thinking about going for the touring instead, which I'd never thought about before, and didn't really think about until on the way home.

The thing is, I'm not sure I'm old enough for an estate yet though (no offence to you touring guys!). My questions though:

1. I know it's really a personal preference thing, but do you think I'll get annoyed that I went the saloon route rather than touring, if I'm cramming all the stuff in the saloon (does it have load-through?), and would the touring be better-suited (is it really that much bigger?)????

2. how does the drive compare? It's obviously heavier, bigger back-end etc, but not driven one (love the saloon though!).

Any comments would be helpful. (still can't see myself driving a touring, but I guess it comes to us all in the end!!). Cheers notworthy.gif

I have to say I love the tourings, to me they feel much younger than the saloon, you can get your mountain bike, windsurf, snowboard on the top, get loads in the back and still leave the whole car for passengers.

If it is saloon I think it has to be black to have that sporty look.

gIzzE: it'll be black whatever I choose! Hopefully with 19's if I can get the dealer to source me some (but not at the £2.5k parts price!) - conversation progressing....

RR: I'm still not sure. Always thought that of, say, the A4 saloon vs Avant, but never been entirely convinced re the 3-series. Growing on me though, and the emerging-sensibility in me says to go for the Touring (but my mates will take the p1ss that I've bought an estate!).

lol, that's what I'd have if I went for the touring Oli - black, black grille, rear tints, if you can just photoshop some 19" OEM's on it I'll pass it on to the Mrs for final approval! (and she'll make some comment about a hearse...)

Anyone driven both the saloon and Touring, and noticed much difference in performance / handling? Do you realise you're driving an estate?? Thanks.

I think the touring would be better come re-sale time. Higher values I think.

Touring is much nicer.

On my Audi, I changed from an A6 saloon to A6 Avant because they are soooooooo much easier to load up! Putting the pram (big folding job) into the saloon boot was a bit of a PITA - however, the saloon held all our stuuf (2 kids, 2 adults and a 6 mnth old) in the boot for a week away.

Would have been easier to load in the Avant, as you can go higher!

Previously owned an E90 325i M Sport saloon, currently have a 335i SE coupe and a new 335d M Sport Touring is arriving in October (replacing a nasty Q7 dung.gif), so well placed to comment. IMHO the Touring looks better than the saloon and is far more practical. The drive is almost identical to the saloon, although the ride on the demo Touring (on standard M Sport 18's) did seem better than my saloon (also on 18's) and significantly better than my coupe with 19's.

[ QUOTE ]

is far more practical.

[/ QUOTE ]

...presumably because you have got a wider access to the boot area (with the hatchback), and 'cos you can go higher? As far as I can see, it isn't actually any deeper is it?

(I assume folding rear seats are standard on the Touring, as I think you have to pay for them on the Saloon? Having just got back from a trip to B&Q, I can well see the benefits of a Touring now!!!!)

• 4 years later...