looking for an a8 2.8 sport

topgolfer1

hi all

looking out for an audi a8 2.8 sport for about 8k,just wondered what to look out for,wear and tear items etc,what goes wrong if anything?

what running costs etc, mpg,around town etc,not too worried as the misses has got a company motor,just bored with current car

i currently have an a6 avant sport oct 2002,1.9 tdi 160bhp,been superchipped, with 80000 on the clock,what do you think thats worth,in good nick

thanks in advance

rich

I had an 2001 a8 2.8 quattro non sport.

Used to get around 20mpg around town, maybe slightly more.

In terms of common faults, look for gearbox oil leaks around the rear and side driveshaft seals. Water in the footwells (due to blocked drainage) etc. Would be worth checking over the audipages as the repairs/servicing points on there tend to be weak points on the car.

The 2.8 itself isnt particularly spritey imo. so do expect the 'sport' model to be particularly sporty. Personally I'd call it more cosmetic/aesthetic.

Do the usual, make sure it's well serviced and if required that the timing belt is changed. It's not as big a job as on the 4.2 but its still expensive.

I bought a 2.8QS on an 02 plate and found it to be a fantastic car but suprisingly quite heavy on the motion lotion. I was only getting 18-19mpg around town and at best 28mpg on the motorways. Its a lot of car to get moving which accounted for the low around town figure but once moving it was pretty good.

It quite happily sat at higher than the legal motorway speed limits and keeps up with most standard vehicles. If you really do want a 2.8 then def go for the QS and the later the model the better The 02's were very highly specced with the 20" wheels and just about every gadget. The 02's were a run off model to make way for the new D3 coming out in 03 which is the reason for all the goodies. The sport recaro seats are awesome and in my opinion were more comfortable and looked better than the ones in my current A8.

If you can push to a 4.2 then go for it as the running costs are not much different. However, I went from one end of the scale to the other and bought an 18 month old 6.0 W12 LWB in February. It scares the pants off me, does 14mpg around town, costs a fortune in petrol and insurance, attracts every boy racer (i have even had them take photo's with their camera phones following me), is a bast@rd to park even with the sensors BUT by christ is it an awesome machine and I wouldnt change it for anything else (well, maybe a Aston at some point)