News - First leaked pictures of the new Audi A4 !!

News_Stig

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

No mention of S-Tronic (aka DSG) does this mean it will come later? Does anyone have an details?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone over on another forum (who seems to be quite well informed) is adamant that there will "definitely be a twin turbo version of the 3.2 V6 FSI engine which reportedly will have 310 bhp and S-tronic transmission along with bigger wheel arches and unique 18" alloys." He goes on to say that other models will get S-tronic too, but not which ones.

The new S4 appears to be a long way off and isn't being unveiled at the same time like the S5 was.

[ QUOTE ]

So will this be the Audi that finally gets the engine positioned behind the front axle?

[/ QUOTE ]

"When compared with the previous model, the A4 has new, sporty proportions. The front body overhang has been drastically shortened; the bonnet and wheelbase are both longer than before. In the driveline, the differential has changed places with the clutch (or torque converter), making it possible to move the front axle forward by 154 millimetres. This innovative solution ensures ideal axle-load distribution. The new A4 is the sportiest saloon in the midsize car category: agile, light and precise to control. Its dynamic suspension is a totally new design, with most of its components made from weight-saving aluminium. "

169144-ok.gif

It's a long document that John posted, but well worth a read. Some of the stuff it comes with is great.

[ QUOTE ]

The new ‘Climatic Comfort’ seats bring a touch of true large-car luxury to the Audi A4. They are upholstered in perforated leather and have small fans with six speed settings to ventilate the seat cushion and seat back. To avoid the risk of excessive cooling, a heating function cuts in automatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Another optional extra is seat cushion and seat back heating. If the sports seats are chosen, the seat base angle is adjustable, the seat cushion can be extended and electric four-way lumbar support is a standard feature.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The Audi A4 1.8 TFSI, for instance, tips the scales at only 1,410 kilograms.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

the Multi Media Interface (MMI) is integrated into the centre tunnel. MMI has been highly praised by testers on many occasions and has proved to be superior to systems offered by competitors. 15 large switches and a volume control are grouped around a central turn-and-press knob, and used to select the navigation, information, CAR menu, set-up, telephone, address book, CD/TV and radio functions effortlessly, intuitively and logically. If the car has the high-end navigation system with DVD drive, all the relevant information appears on a colour screen measuring 7 inches from corner to corner

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The new radio-operated key for the Audi A4 has no conventional blade: to start the engine, the key is simply pressed into the ignition switch. It can memorise several of the car’s specific settings and also store servicing information and fault messages. The ‘advanced key’ high-end version means that the key does not even have to be taken out of the driver’s pocket. In this case sensors are used to lock and unlock the car and the engine is started and stopped by means of an elegantly designed pushbutton on the centre tunnel.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The new A4 is supplied with automatic air conditioning as standard equipment; the system is an entirely new, more efficient development that has enabled cooling performance to be increased by 10 percent and at the same time the fuel consumed to operate the air conditioning has been reduced by 20 percent. As an optional extra, a version with three temperature zones can be ordered; it permits separate control of temperature and airflow for the driver, front passenger and rear passengers.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Behind the car’s big wheels are brakes with 314 mm diameter front and 300 mm rear discs; the front discs are internally ventilated. The high-performance brake pads, a new development, now cover 20 percent more rubbed area. The front brakes on V6-engined cars are even larger, with 320 mm discs and composite spheroidal-graphite and aluminium callipers. In every version of the A4, the brake pedal has a firm, precise action, and thanks to accurate feedback the driver can control the brake application effectively without applying excessive pressure.

The latest generation of ESP stabilisation system adds to the operating refinement of the brake system. New hydraulic valves build up pressure with exceptional accuracy, and the regulating action takes place without judder. At speeds below 70 km/h, the driver can disconnect certain anti-slip functions by pressing a button briefly. The wheels can then spin, but this can be beneficial in certain circumstances, for instance when driving on snow.

ESP in the new A4 has a number of additional functions – it can for instance stabilise a trailer if it begins to snake, dry the brake discs in wet weather and activate the hazard warning flashers if a panic brake application is made.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/08/2008-audi-a4-official-high-res-images.html

The main problem with the new Audi is the lack of a good diesel engine in the lower price bracket. The 140bhp 2.0tdi is noisy, lacks power and does less than 47mpg.

Compare that to the new BMW diesel 2.3litre (in the one series) which gives 204bhp!!! and 55mpg!!

I guess the old 1.9tdi will reappear in the new a4 too!! LOL!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

No mention of S-Tronic (aka DSG) does this mean it will come later? Does anyone have an details?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone over on another forum (who seems to be quite well informed) is adamant that there will "definitely be a twin turbo version of the 3.2 V6 FSI engine which reportedly will have 310 bhp and S-tronic transmission along with bigger wheel arches and unique 18" alloys." He goes on to say that other models will get S-tronic too, but not which ones.

The new S4 appears to be a long way off and isn't being unveiled at the same time like the S5 was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting news. Like the 335i that would be a low stressed turbo unit at <100 bhp/litre. Hopefully then it will not be in the top car tax bracket and improve on the S4's poor mpg. Could be the pick of the range for petrolheads.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't there also talk of a 3.6 V6 turbo'd engine?

Maybe the twin turbo'd V6 will become the new S4 and they'll reserve the V8 for the new B8 RS4. Would make some sense to not have two similar V8 models in the same range and give some better distinction between the S and the RS?

No mention of S-tronic / DSG yet in any press releases. Only 3 transmission options. Will it come I wonder. confused.gif

By the sounds of it there will be plenty of options to add if you want to its how much they all cost and whats standard that will be interesting. Lets hope they add more standard kit this time rather than having to add interior light packs to most specs. openfire.gif

Anyone else think the interior is shite. It's very similar to the new allroad and Q7 etc (probably 'cos its the same sodding car underneath anyway), but....

Why the feck would anyone want to stare at a 6CD changer in the year 2007. I don't even have CDs anymore FFS. We've gone digital and the "new" A4 has CD slots and buttons right in the middle of the dash - not cool.

I think the MMI style buttons in the middle by the gear lever are more dangerous too - lots of people will be turning their heads to check which button they are pressing...whereas before the buttons were at least closer to your field of view when looking forwards!

Overall... same old shite, but may end up buying one due to lack of decent alternatives.

[ QUOTE ]

It looks like the 3.2 gets additonal body styling, Side skirts, rear valance and different front bumper, gloss black grille too like the TT

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the S line version - you can just about see the badge where the side indicators used to be (similar to Q7). I like it in white. was disappointed with the basic versions though.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It looks like the 3.2 gets additonal body styling, Side skirts, rear valance and different front bumper, gloss black grille too like the TT

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the S line version - you can just about see the badge where the side indicators used to be (similar to Q7). I like it in white. was disappointed with the basic versions though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well spotted, I missed the little badge!

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's lost it's Audi look at all. Remember people, you need to see these in the flesh. The number of people on here that slated the A5/S5 until they saw/sat in one and then changed their minds!

It needed to move on. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But I've played with the allroad, q7, a5, s5 etc. Some people may prefer the huge slam of aluminium and the higher up screens - i dont though. R8 interior is the nicest at the mo. bit more pricey though...dam! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's lost it's Audi look at all. Remember people, you need to see these in the flesh. The number of people on here that slated the A5/S5 until they saw/sat in one and then changed their minds!

It needed to move on. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and the B7 initially got a lukewarm reception on here too IIRC. I agree that (like the A5) you'll have to see this car in person. It would seem that German cars are more and more becoming very fickle in photographs. One minute they look good, the next maybe not so good and then when you finally see the car in person it looks great. I'm sure this latest Audi will be a textbook example of this.