Beetle RSI

gkyle

So I’m thinking of changing my car (been so for the last year) I need to know more about the beetle! I know it has a 3.2 v6 but it only produces 225ps what’s different from the r32, and can I take my anti roll bars, Haldex and kw suspension off my golf and put it on to the beetle! I love the r32 and don’t want to change but what with the new R32 out it has lost some of its prestige as its an old model (I know the beetle is an old car but its rare) and I don’t want a new one. I want something special like the original R32, CSL, GT3 (last two are way out of my price range) something rare and unique. Oh and not bothered about sitting on the wrong side. 1226762-new_beetle_rsi_serie250_07.jpg1226762-new_beetle_rsi_serie250_10.jpg1226762-new_beetle_rsi_serie250_11.jpg

post-15738-137914406952_thumb.jpg

Engine is slightly different, it uses a large style coil pack (like the early 4motions), but with a remap and usual bits and bobs it should produce near enough same sort of power as an R32.

Suspension wise its hard to say if the ARB's or KW's will fit. Best speaking to Big Boys Toys who have personally converted 2 RSI beetles into RHD form, so they really know the car inside and out.

RHD don’t know if I would wanna do that! confused.gif

Nan can't stretch to a csl! frown.gif

There are three in Europe, 2 in France and one in Germany (all on e-bay) there are not cheap ether €29,999 they want. Don’t know what the Germans have as an online auto trader so have only looked on the respective e-bays. I need to fine a good importer who will track one down for me and get it in to the country!

As soon as I got it I would want to get the engine to R32 spec, then see if I can upgrade the cams and remap etc so I would be pusing near 290Bhp just to give it the edge over my golf which engine wise hasn’t been touched Might have to give BBT a call and see if they will get me one with a good trade in price for the golf!

grin.gifgrin.gif

1227160-new_beetle_rsi_serie250_15.jpg1227160-Volkswagen_New_Beetle_RSi.jpg

post-15738-137914406964_thumb.jpg

Not quite my cup of tea but i can see the appeal 169144-ok.gif

Whats your budget? CSL might be out of reach by wat about an E46 M3? OK not exactly rare, but cracking cars all the same

I think you might regret LHD, mate of mine bought a LHD Porsche 968 CS weekend car, only kept it afew months. It was just terrible on UK roads, really had to be careful when overtaking etc

[ QUOTE ]

I think you might regret LHD, mate of mine bought a LHD Porsche 968 CS weekend car, only kept it afew months. It was just terrible on UK roads, really had to be careful when overtaking etc

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran a LHD New Bug for 18 months when they first came out and never had any problems with it being LHD. Mind you, you were sat so far back in the feckin thing, you could see around trucks in it.

My friend ran a Fiat Spyder LHD for a few years without any trouble (at least without any trouble related to the LHD element of the car...) but that was so slow I don't think she ever could have tried to overtake anything anyway (she said LHD makes parking easy too !)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My mate wrote off an MR2 turbo that was LHD doing just that. He went to overtake a car and another car coming fast the other way went smack stright into him. He didn't see the car coming as he was on the wrong side of the car.

I had a Golf Rallye and never had any issues with it being LHD. If you hang back before overtaking, you don't need to get completely onto the wrong side of the road to see past the slower vehicle. If you think about it, you're only sat with your head about 3 feet to the left of where you'd be in a RHD car (look at the respective positions of your front headrests to see what I mean) so if you manage to hit a car head on, you were probably going to be VERY close to it even if you were sat on the right!

I'd have another LHD car tomorrow if that was all that was in the way of me having a particular car I liked. Much better than having one hacked up and molested to make it RHD. 169144-ok.gif

I should think it comes down to how people overtake. If you can't see, then you can't overtake. It will probably mean in a Left hooker that you'd have to step out for a peek before commiting, and doing so only where you have time to pull back in after a look before oncoming vehicles become an issue.

Like most things, there are ways round it.