Which performance diesel car?

pras1011

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

If you want all out reliability and something that's decently quick, then the Type R is a great choice 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

However, it isn't without it's issues - front suspension & steering rack are main two - EEK2.GIF money in relative terms to fix (£1k plus for the parts alone for the rack - I had 2 as well as half a front suspension - thankfully still under warranty). There is also the occasional issue with the gearbox on abused examples, along with one or two minor issues. Engine is bulletproof though (as long as treated with respect and serviced properly).

I would say £5k is a little short on budget on a Type R - £7k - £8k would be a safe & sensible starting point.

Other options - DC2 Integra (maybe), Clio 182 (if healthy), Focus ST Mk1 (slower interpretation of the Civic but decent handler), a Seat maybe. Or, if Evo's experience with £1k of 3 series is anything to go by, how about £5k's worth of 3 series BMW - E36 328i?

I don't like the look the DC2 or the BMW E36. French cars worry me with their reliability and build quality. I dont like the look of the old Focus ST (horrible alloys).

Here are the cars on my list:

EVO 4 or 5 (the 5 is slightly above budget)

Impreza STI

Seat Leon Cupra R (slightly above budget)

Civic or Accord Type R (seen the Civic for £6000 min)

Volvo S60 T5

Audi S4 (maybe too painful to own)

Octavia vRS

Alfa 156 2.5 V6 (possibly the most unreliable car on my list).

Above all the next "high" performance car must be reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

To save myself from all sorts of potential pain in the wallet I have decided to go for the civic type r. My ideal car would be the evo 4 but I can see me purchasing one spontaneously without checking it thoroughly!! At least with the civic (or accord in fact) it wouldn't be too much of a problem.