Which performance diesel car?

pras1011

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a small budget - you won't get a performance Audi diesel for that price. If you want performance, you'll be wanting something modern - either common rail or pump duse. Anything pre-99 just feels sluggish by comparison nowdays.

Outside-the-box suggestion here... Peugeot 206 2.0 HDi in D Turbo trim? Base models (LX etc) are a bit rolly polly, under tyred and plain looking, but the D turbo trim has beefed-up suspension to cope with the big engine, GTi under-bumper and wider front wings.

pras1011 posted ...

[ QUOTE ]

am I dreaming at this price?

[/ QUOTE ]

... and wattie replied...

[ QUOTE ]

zzzzz!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

So his opinion is that he was dreaming.

You have to admit that £2500 is a very small budget for a performance diesel, and posting here suggests he wants a performance Audi diesel - for which £2500 probably IS dreaming.

Not sure I agree with that - but then I had the choice between a 3.2 FSI and a 3.0TDI at nearly the same price for (otherwise) more or less the same car, and chose the latter because it was way more fun. Diesel's not just (or indeed at all) about economy these days... but there' no point rehashing the torque vs. revs argument.

Don't think you'd get either for £2500 though, but then I'm not sure you'd get a quality commute and a "real performance" car for £1250 each (or split some other way) either...

Now this argument we've definitely had before on TSN grin.gif

I think you'd find plenty of people who'd contest that... see Chav and his "3.0 TDI vs. S4" thread.

Certainly the 3.0 TDI was a lot more "performance" than the comparable (not S) petrol, when I tried it. Not that I'm the Stig or anything but I know what I like, and I definitely bought it as a 'performance' diesel, not because I need to arse about with company tax/CO2 allowances or anything.

They had both as ex-demos on the forecourt and if the 3.2 petrol felt better I'd have bought it, so I don't buy (and literally didn't buy) the "no such thing as a performance diesel" thing 169144-ok.gif

I think the definition of "performance" is the sticking point.

I've no doubt you get some fast diesels.. My wife's 180 tdi is no slouch, but i wouldn't call it 'performance'

A 911, RS4, M3 are performance cars. You can't beat red-lining a petrol car, and however much torque a diesel has it's not the same.

Mm, I agree about the defining line - I wouldn't call mine a BMW M-series or Audi S- beater. But in the original he's not talking about "performance" in that sense either, I think - he means something punchy and fun, even if not a Porsche, and we'll have to differ on whether this means you shouldn't mention a diesel in the same breath. I think you can, even if not at £2.5K (although if I dont't wash mine soon after winter it'll look worth about that).