New York

Muppetboy

I regularly go to NY, been twice already this year and am off again in about a month. I don't tend to do a lot of the touristy stuff though as I've been/done them.

Ones that stick in my memory are:

Walking around Central Park and spotting places from movies :grin:

Empire State on a clear day is fantastic

Ground zero, but not for the 'tourist' stakes more to remind yourself how lucky you are

Natural History museum is pretty cool

Times square at night

Check out the Irish bars +++

Shopping as an experience is a laugh

To give yourself a taster have a look over at MarkC.me.uk

To add to the suggestions above, Wall Street is interesting to see and the free Staten Island ferry takes you pretty close to the statue of Liberty. If you go to ground zero make sure you go into the church to the east side of the site. One comment on the Hudson - unless you have paid for an upgrade be prepared to stay in the smallest hotel room you have ever been in ! Whilst using the loo you can rest your weary head on the wall two inches in front of you :roflmao:

Walking around Central Park and spotting places from movies :grin:

Empire State on a clear day is fantastic

Ground zero, but not for the 'tourist' stakes more to remind yourself how lucky you are

Natural History museum is pretty cool

Times square at night

Agreed..

Macy's is worth a look, just to see how big a department store can get,

In Central square you can see the plaque where John Lennon was shot.

Metropolitan Museum of art is also good to spend some time in.

I love the cafe's up and down broadway/6th Ave.. also have a look at the rockafella centre.. nicely done!

Miss the UN building.. old & Boring.

You used to be able to climb up the Statue of Liberty but don't think you can nowadays. It was a very tight climb. But worth it.

You'll have a great time.. the yanks love us :grin:

manhattan.gif

Edited by Dave

Instead of going up the Empire State go to the 'Top of the Rock', far less crowded and cheaper. Plus your view isn't obstructed by fencing.

If the weather is nice go get a sandwich from the deli over the road and sit in Bryant park. Good to people watch and relax.

Fantastic city, I absolutely love the place. I'm there next month for a week as a birthday present to my other half.

You can still go inside the monument at the Statue of Liberty and climb up inside as high as the pedestal that it rests on, so when you're at the top you're jsut below her feet. Tickets for that are free but limited so either book online or get to Castle Clinton early to get your tickets.

I'm not entirely sure why, but I love the Brooklyn Bridge so I often walk along it into Brooklyn and then back again. The views are fantastic.

If you want a good steak when you're there I'd recommend Peter Luger in Brooklyn. Take the subway to Marcy Avenue then walk back towards Manhattan and there is a huge painted advert for it on the side of a building when you get to the big cross roads.

Grand Central Station is definitely worth a look, it's very impressive for a train station.

I was really dissappointed with the Statue of Liberty/ Ellis Island.

As Mac says Ground Zero is also a must. I found it a very emotional place but that could be because I was up the WTC during the summer of 2001 and remembered how tall they were and actually used the Subway station underneath at the time.

We went Oct '07 and I found ground zero a very emotional place, even with the building works. The vibe you get from the surrounding area is really hard to describe and can't say I've been anywhere else that makes you touch the pain NY still feels ......

As Mac says Ground Zero is also a must. I found it a very emotional place but that could be because I was up the WTC during the summer of 2001 and remembered how tall they were and actually used the Subway station underneath at the time.

I've got photo's of me and my wife at the top of the trade towers.. the glass was etched so that you could make out landmarks on the horizon.

That must have been amazing!

Whenever I see a picture of the towers it makes my mind boggle at the height they were, all the buildings r so huge anyway ... I would go back at any opportunity, loved everything about it, met some great people there (even got a cop outside Grand Central to pose for a piccy with me and let me wear his hat ....)

If you like City life NYC is one of those places you can just wander about in - very similar to London in that respect. Or rather it's like London on speed.

It's actually kinda cool to go to a city sometimes unprepared. You get to see it in a lot more norma light than you do if you specifically go for the tourist bits; you only have to look at the tourist things in London to know that it's nothing really related to what the city is about.

Personally I love NY. It's a beatiful, energetic massively alive city regardless of whether your sitting reading the paper in starbucks or getting hussled about in Times Square.

I've also stayed at the Hudson. I managed to have a shower, use the loo and lay on the bed all at the same time!! Go up to the roof top, they have great views up there. Its quite a hip bar for New Yorkers in the evenings too. Might be worth taking a torch, its a very 'cool' hotel that believes in having no lights in the corridors!!! As ever the service in the States is superb.

Good way of getting your bearings is to to buy an open ticket on the open top buses, you can hop on and off as much as you like and goes round on a loop (they come along all the time) with a chap doing a talk, really useful. We used it a lot.

Empire State view is without doubt a must see, could be big ques though. Relaxing in Central Park, the most beautiful park in the middle of a 24 hour city. Try the little restaurants rather than the franchised ones you know, we had fantastic food in these.

NY is one of the places i'd go back to without hesitation, its a great city. Have fun!!

If you're only going to be there for a few days I would recommend going to "The Top of The Rock" rather than the Empire State.

We did both last year & the Rock was far superior to The Empre State building.

There was no queing & you had room to wander about at the top - without staff moving you on.

Also, at the top of the Empire State, you're looking through a cage.

The top of the Rockefeller centre is on two levels - the lower one has sheets of glass instead of a cage, but the top level is open & has fabulous views of Central Park.

The pic shows the lower observation deck - the upper one is on top of the wall to the right.

This was taken in July last year in the middle of the afternoon - we went to the Empire State the day before & we were shoulder to shoulder with a couple of hundred other folk.

post-23-13791442988_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...