Reverse Osmosis

johnny11

MrMe is the RO expert as he had a decent setup for his fish tank. IIRC the 0ppm filters don't give true RO water.

Best bet is to look on eBay or similar, lots of companies selling decent canister systems for window cleaners for circa £100. A lot less expensive than the nicely packaged "car cleaning" filters.

I did the same. 25l drum and a couple of hose lock fittings. Essentially a static water source, and iirc your were allowed a 1m hose from a tap to fill buckets etc. (Thames Water) I just used the less than 1m hose from container to feed pressure washer.

• 2 weeks later...

The ri vessel I thought was what I needed, but this is only deironised water, and as I live in Surrey the water here is very hard so this would be no good. Today I spoke to the company that sells these..

4 STAGE WITH DI AQUARIUM RO REVERSE OSMOSIS SYSTEM UNIT MARINE DISCUS FISH | eBay

and I reckon this is the answer, at only £45 seems to be the way to go, the only down side only this only does around 15 litres per hour so will need a storage butt, but I think this is the best way.

I have a DI water filter for final rinsing purposes. I get 0 ppm water now. I also occasionally use the water for my fish tank water changes (but add minerals for that purpose)

The resin is quite expensive but lasts a long time if you're careful. I fill a watering can and give the car a final rinse that method. Previous thread I think:

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/cleaning/118096-rinsing-r-o-water-8.html

• 3 weeks later...

CR Spotless - water is passed through a column or membrane to remove ions present (ion exchange) using polyvalent ions such as magnesium (Mg2+) ++ and calcium (Ca2+) ++ for Na+ ions. Deionised resin strips out all the minerals and impurities from the water by exchanging Ca and Mg ions for H and OH, the resultant H20 is completely clean and 99.9% pure

“Filtration Methods” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/137955-filtration-methods.html#post1465231

• 1 month later...

Well I bought one of these

4 STAGE WITH DI AQUARIUM RO REVERSE OSMOSIS SYSTEM UNIT MARINE DISCUS FISH | eBay

Washed the car and used the R O water to rinse, NO water marks after the car was left to dry naturally, should of had one of these years ago. The only thing with this is you have to store the water as it only does 50 u.s gallons a day, but what I did was put it on in the morning and within a few hrs I had 3 water storage bottles full.