Apple OSX Mountain Lion

Mac

Now that it's on general release, I thought I'd save you all some pain and recommend that you don't upgrade to it. Personally I've had nothing but pain with ML Golden Master release across iMac, MBP and Mac Mini devices, and all similar problems.

What's more, the dev forums are full of complaints.

I'm typically a very early adopter - currently running Windows 8/Office 2013 for example - so am use to some operational pain, but this platform has just been so painful I've resorted back to Lion for operational stuff.

Personally, I'd be waiting for 10.8.1. If you look at the Lion 10.7 release 10.7.1 came very quickly afterward, and I'd expect that to be the case with 10.8.1 too.

It's given me the sads :(

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Tip: Once the download completes Do NOT click ‘Install’, but instead quit it. Go to your Applications folder and copy the ‘Install OS X Mountain Lion .app’ to somewhere else. Then you can run the installer in your Applications folder.

The reason for doing this is that when you install Mountain Lion the Install app in your Applications folder will self-delete. If the install shouldn’t work for some reason the first time round, you won’t have to go through the whole tiresome wait of a download from the App store again if you save a copy to another folder. +++

Yup, copy it out before installing.

I was really hoping the build would change between GM and general release, and it hasn't. I even downloaded it from the App Store to compare to the dev release, and it's the same.

If it were just one machine too I could imagine it would be my issue. I tend to, er, manipulate my machines - but like I say I've had similar issues with all of my machines. Sucks.

I'm holding off too. I had all sort of oddities when I was using the GM.

Will they repackage the installer to release a full download ot 10.8.1 or will you still have to install the base 10.8 and then patch to 10.8.1? I've grabbed the download anyway (at a rather nice 10.2Mb/s) as I think when SL came out they didn't repackage things when .1 came out.

iOS 6 and Mountain Lion are the end of Apple for me.

I'm writing this on a (very expensive at the time) first generation MacBook Air, with SSD, and have a first generation iPad (the expensive 64GB 3G version) - neither new OS will work on either device.

If Apple want to play at the game of forcing people to replace relatively new and expensive hardware just to update their OS, then I may as well revert to buying cheaper hardware which is more affordable to replace - I certainly find it hard to swallow that nigh on £2k worth of hardware is now essentially 'obsolete' by Apple standards.

iOS 6 and Mountain Lion are the end of Apple for me.

I'm writing this on a (very expensive at the time) first generation MacBook Air, with SSD, and have a first generation iPad (the expensive 64GB 3G version) - neither new OS will work on either device.

If Apple want to play at the game of forcing people to replace relatively new and expensive hardware just to update their OS, then I may as well revert to buying cheaper hardware which is more affordable to replace - I certainly find it hard to swallow that nigh on £2k worth of hardware is now essentially 'obsolete' by Apple standards.

I'm not bothered about the iPad 1 not running iOS 6 - because nearly all the new features in iOS 6 wouldn't be applicable to the iPad 1 anyway.

Furthermore, 2+ years isn't 'relatively new' in the world of technology. It is ancient and as an iPad 1 owner (64gb 3G, as yours) I would be looking to upgrade soon anyway. It's easily the best device I have ever owned and I'm not about to dump iPad-technology just because an irrelevant iOS update won't run on it. What do you want out of iOS6 that you don't have in the current OS?

The MacBook Air is listed as entirely upgradeable. It says Macbook Airs from late 2008 onwards are compatible - that's almost 4 year old devices.

Finally - how much is the new OSX? £13.99. How much is a Windows upgrade, generally? Much, much, more.

How much are iOS updates? Nothing. Yet they're usually packed with new features that you never get with other devices!

If it is put into perspective, a free upgrade and a £13.99 upgrade, I don't see the problem.

?? So your machine is now obselete? What doesn't it do now that it could do this morning before ML was released :P

I'm not bothered about the iPad 1 not running iOS 6 - because nearly all the new features in iOS 6 wouldn't be applicable to the iPad 1 anyway.

Furthermore, 2+ years isn't 'relatively new' in the world of technology. It is ancient and as an iPad 1 owner (64gb 3G, as yours) I would be looking to upgrade soon anyway. It's easily the best device I have ever owned and I'm not about to dump iPad-technology just because an irrelevant iOS update won't run on it. What do you want out of iOS6 that you don't have in the current OS?

The MacBook Air is listed as entirely upgradeable. It says Macbook Airs from late 2008 onwards are compatible - that's almost 4 year old devices.

Finally - how much is the new OSX? £13.99. How much is a Windows upgrade, generally? Much, much, more.

How much are iOS updates? Nothing. Yet they're usually packed with new features that you never get with other devices!

If it is put into perspective, a free upgrade and a £13.99 upgrade, I don't see the problem.

The problem is when developers start upgrading apps / releasing new apps which *must* have the latest OS, even if the technical specs. of the app suggest that it would be absolutely fine on older hardware. And I'm going to glare particularly hard at Apple for doing this, too - they really hacked me off with iPhoto for iOS, by running a check for a camera before letting you install it - it runs perfectly fine on iPad 1, but they made the decision to block it (on hardware which was barely a year old at the time, too).

First Gen. MacBook airs can't be upgraded to Mountain Lion, as the graphics chipset won't pass the test. I could understand the move to stop 32 bit machines running Snow Leopard, as that was a major architecture switch - but to block Core 2 Duo machines from Mountain Lion stinks of 'because we can'.

My Air is 3.5 years old, and is the most expensive machine I've ever purchased - whilst I appreciate that it's no less functional than it ever was, it just feels far too soon to be cutting us off - and if MS had done it, people would be up in arms (especially given the life cycle of most corporate machines!)

It's a move for the worst for Apple, IMHO, as I first got into Apple hardware with the knowledge that it generally had a much longer useful life than WinTel machines - I bought a second hand Pismo about a decade ago - at which point it would have been 4 years old - which means it was a decade from the launch of the Pismo that Apple finally abandoned it for new OS upgrades.

?? So your machine is now obselete? What doesn't it do now that it could do this morning before ML was released :P

This was my first thought. That said, I can understand the annoyance because £14 is nothing so it would be nice to have the additional features for such little outlay. Don't the upgrades of Windows each time also render loads of machines "past it"? Although I think in M/Soft's case you can install what you like but it will run like a dog. So maybe Apple do this so that their customers don't make their machines run like dog's too - maybe it is a sign they actually care more (I don't really believe that).

But the point is that the additional features are very small. If they're something someone really, really wants - upgrade the hardware. Plus, as Andrew has said, the Microsoft comparison is flawed because there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people out there who have been unable to upgrade to newer versions of Windows because of hardware issues - and often after much less than 2 years.

I think it just have to be accepted that there has to be a cut off point. If it's not 2-3 years, is it 4-5 years? If so, at what point do the hardware considerations restrict the functionality that can be had from an upgrade?

I'm just disappointed they haven't taken the leap to a single OS for mobile and desktop devices yet.

I have a rule of thumb for my Apple hardware - if you buy it with version N.x.y, then happily upgrade it to N+1.x.y then leave it...

The only exception to this rule in the last 10 years was my 2007 maximally configured 17" MBP which shipped with Tiger. It is running Snow Leopard (clean sheet install) quite nicely.

In fact all my machines bar a black MacBook (it is the last model and on 10.5.8) and my newish Air (10.7.4) are all on Snow Leopard (5 of them)...

I've been trying to download Mountain Lion for the last 4 days; it then crashed at crunch point. Apples servers are simply overloaded and according to AppleCare, each individual download is allowed a certain amount of time each before moving on to the many millions of other downloads. I'm going to re-try in a couple of weeks once the hype has past.

I'm still regretting upgrading to Lion. Positive my macbook pro is slower than my old faithfull macbook. Seems to take forever to boot, and then be able to start anything.

I have exactly the same issue with lion on my mac mini - takes an age to boot to a point where you can actually get on with stuff. Also annoyed as I upgraded from snow leopard to be able to use iCloud for iPhoto not reusing that I then need to update iPhoto to the latest version..... Back to SL me thinks

My download of ML failed. I've looked in the download folder and there's nothing there, similarly, there's no record of the download attempt in the purchase section in iTunes. Anyone know how I re-try the download?