Advice please

patently

The other GT3 that is coming in later scores lower because it is silver, has ceramics, and is not a clubsport. Still a GT3, though.

Service loan is a 991 C2S PDK, it's a lovely car but is actually putting me off getting a new 911 - it's too much of a GT car now. It's gained a lot compared to my 996 but it has lost something*, too, something intangible :uhoh:

Cayman looks pretty though. Wondering if that is the sports car successor to my 996, but the salesman is not taking my hints that I need a day at Porsche Silverstone to try them all out. Obviously I'm being too subtle.

(*and no, that's not because I've broken it off accidentally)

Does the 430 take winter tyres?

There must be other GT3's about? Or they can bring one or 2 in from other dealerships?

Is that the only 430 you've been interested in too? As in colour and spec?

Winter tyres - :roflmao:+++

There are no other GT3s in the dealer group, just the silver one that is coming in as PC for the white one.

Swindon have two 430s, the other is red though and I don't want a red Ferrari.

I've done the Porsche Silverstone thing. I thought the 991 was more a GT than Sportscar and the guys there said much the same thing and pointed me towards the Cayman. I liked the Cayman but couldn't find a single reason to buy one over an Evora other than the Pork used better materials in the cabin. Was it just the salesberk who put you off an Evora? Knowing that car, and knowing you, I always imagined one would be perfect for you. Did you like that Exige S by the way? A pity you didn't get to drive the thing (sorry).

I'm sure you've done your homework and discounted other options already, but bear with me while I ramble...

The 991 is a great all rounder, I'm sure, but I'm not sure it is special enough. A bit 'GT' as you mention. The 430 is fabulous but perhaps falls into that slightly awkward era where some might think it is a bit dated but not enough to be a modern classic (like the 355, for example).

I assume this is going to be a weekend and occasional use kind of car? If so, and taking depreciation into account, have you thought about going slightly older into 'modern classic' territory? How about a 355 or something even older? An Aston, perhaps? Are Lambos a bit too 'footballer' for you? How much is a good Gordon Keeble? Jenson Interceptor? Can you follow my train of logic here? As your self-appointed 'racing driver lifestyle coach' I would suggest something a bit saucy. :)

It's your money, chap, and I'm sure you'll end up something that fits your requirements. Good luck :)

Edited by theduisbergkid

Thanks TDK, plenty to think about there. I did start thinking about Lotus again this morning, tbh I'm looking at Porsches & Ferraris today purely because they're both on hand here. An Evora is tempting, and that Exige... oh my... just wow!

Ferraris are a bit scary in terms of running and (ahem) repair costs. If I do the 430 it will be a bit of a step in the dark. On the other hand, if all goes well then it should hold value well, and oh god that sounds far too sensible to be a factor in buying a car like this, please forget I said it.

OK, man maths. The Fezza is the most expensive so it must be the best. Therefore it will be cheaper in the long run +++

997 is a huge jump up from a 996 without wanting to be too negative about the 996.

A 997 Turbo is simply the best car I have driven, ever.

There is an 09 Turbo with PDK in OPC Bristol in Black.... £55k....

430 I really didn't like. The one i drove had something wrong with it I am sure and was described by a colleague as feeling fragile. The annual service was something like £1k too. 

911 Turbo just works every single day and would show a clean pair of heels to the 430 on anything but a track, and probably still then too.

Or save £20k and buy a Turbo and get new carpets whenever you like.

I suspect Mrs P might find the Turbo more comfortable and potentially useful - short journeys with the kids in the back (even if their knees are up around their ears) for instance.

I used to like Ferraris but I was so disappointed when I sat in the 430 it was so basic, nasty switch gear and when they guy who had it arrived he'd had to sticky tape one of the rear light clusters on as it had fallen off on the way. 

I'm no Porsche fan but they are continuously growing on me, i'd take that any day of the week over the Ferrari.