Inside Rolls Royce - CH4 9pm Tonight

Cuprabob

Done the UK factory tour - everything turns up in BMW crates and gets put together like a giant kit. Shells come painted and complete etc.

The one impressive bit was the laser layout and cutting of the leather, which is done over here. Impressive to watch.

Amazingly, they don't have the best quality control either..... but thats another story....

• Like 1

Done the UK factory tour - everything turns up in BMW crates and gets put together like a giant kit. Shells come painted and complete etc.

The one impressive bit was the laser layout and cutting of the leather, which is done over here. Impressive to watch.

Amazingly, they don't have the best quality control either..... but thats another story....

Do Bentley have better quality control?

And the stuff in the BMW crates - is that stuff hand-built?

Some stuff, really I do, but my Rolls Royce experience was a bit of a let down given their marketing and brand positioning.

I like Cake, a lot, but am critical of some and complementary of others - I like to compile a balanced view based on positive and negatives.

Admit I am very cynical these days, something I will try to change, but I have a lot of experience of the bad things in life and have been forced into a place I don't want to be and am struggling to get out.

Point taken though.

• Like 1

I worked at RR at Goodwood for 12 months on a project once - I'm with Dan +++

Though they do have their own paint shop, and the guy that paints the coach lines (by hand) is impressive, and I quite liked the wood shop as well. The drivers course that I had to go on before being allowed to drive the cars was fun too...

Actually, perhaps I'm only part with Dan :roflmao:

The program was OKAY, like Peter said, more about the customers and dealers than the factory.

It does go to prove the saying "money doesn't buy taste"...

The Wraith looks stunning and should I ever be in the fortunate position to blow a couple of hundred grand on a GT car, it would be I the running along side a Bentley Continental SS.

I watched it last night, it was repeated. 

It was more about the customers, the Abu Dhabi dealer and his Arab clientele.

Oh, and that one piece for the Celestial with the diamond studding.  I didn't find it that informative in the same way the McLaren program was.

Oh, and just to be super picky, I wasn't impressed with the noise the RR made when they closed the doors on one of the cars early in the program.

What was disappointing for me was how few of the staff or customers actually used the button that closes the doors automatically, choosing instead to just slam it :( Just no class... :)

Old Alan Sugar does that as he gets out on the Apprentice Show.

It's a 'new money' thing.  Not being used to having 'James' open and close the door for them.

• Like 1

I saw a few bits of it, flicking across during the advert breaks of Bronson. The Pearl Diver looked promising. The UK market, with its boundaries of decent taste, is such a small part of what they do now.

I just find everything produced by Rolls Royce and Bentley these days is a bit OTT and vulgar.

What happened to the tastefulness of the Bentley Arnage and Seraph.