Wetroom Shower Taps Advice etc

Waylander

Okay so it is beginning to come together but I wanted some advice from you clever people about shower taps.

So the wetroom will have a toilet, sink and on one side there will be a half-room-width glass partition as a splash-screen for the shower with a folding shower seat.

Now as well as showering, parents will likely have more use for this to come, sit and make their ablutions for prayers etc.

So what I need is a shower tap set-up whereby there are taps for them to use as a sit-down "sink" to wash face/feet etc etc but also as a shower when required.

It is vital that the risks of accidentally getting drenched by shower while sat in clothes doing ablutions is minimised as far as possible

I can't really find anything other than this arrangement but these "put for shower" can get loose after a while (if hotels are anything to go by!) so what do you guys suggest?

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/premier-wall-mounted-thermostatic-bath-shower-mixer-valve-with-modern-slide-rail-kit?campaign=googlebase&gclid=CPGGqMys6s4CFeQy0wodllMKaw

You could always buy something like a diverter mixer...

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/tec-pura-plus-triple-shower-valve-with-diverter

then plumb for fixed shower head, flexible hose shower and to a wall mounted tap outlet.

just out of interest why wouldnt a flexible hose to a hand held shower head be suitable for use? The hand held could have a water restrictor to insure low flow just for the feet, hand, and face rinse.

4 hours ago, Calm Chris said:

You could always buy something like a diverter mixer...

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/tec-pura-plus-triple-shower-valve-with-diverter

then plumb for fixed shower head, flexible hose shower and to a wall mounted tap outlet.

just out of interest why wouldnt a flexible hose to a hand held shower head be suitable for use? The hand held could have a water restrictor to insure low flow just for the feet, hand, and face rinse.

The problem with diverter taps is dad will almost certainly twist it the wrong way one day, get flustered and all merry heck will break loose.

A flexible lower level shower head would actually be perfect Chris - preferable in fact. Same issue of making sure there was a way to limit accidentally turning on overhead shower when all they want is the handheld one.

2 hours ago, CarMad said:

just be careful they don't twist it the wrong way. 

That's the crux of it.

ideally I want something that always defaults to the handheld, so that even if someone takes a shower, next time anyone goes in its back on "tap mode" needing a twist etc to turn the overhead shower on

Mira will sell you remote controlled multi valve mixing, problem is it will run to £1000 for a 3 way divert system. 

Why not get a simple single mixer and then have a seperate divertor that gives flow for either fixed shower head or a portable shower head with a low inlet height and longer (2m is available) hand shower hose.

The longer hose allows for washing from feet, sitting and standing up.

Regarding the potential to be drenched you could get something like this and add to the numbers with trafelite labelling or even etched signage.

image.png

Another way to prevent drenching is to have the mixers offset to the shower head or hand shower. 

By that I mean the mixer or divertor doesnt have to be directly under th shower head it could be to one side so when operated the user still has to take a step before being under the shower (or is that a bit too logical :) )

• Like 1

There's 193 dual outlet flush  / concealed mounted mixers here ->

http://www.tapwarehouse.com/category/concealed-thermostatic-shower-valves/?term=&page=1&sort=&NumberOfOutlets=2+Outlets

have you thought about having a chat with the hospital plumbing teams? I'd imagine they have several dozens of wet rooms and they will be well versed with offsetting the mixer, and having static shower head and tap / hand shower facilities.

You will need to clarify the water pressure for the mixer, hot water via a high flow combi, stord hot water or a pressure based system?

Stupid question time.

for something like this with a fixed head and a portable head, the thermostatic bar has a tap for temp and one "on off" so does that mean both shower heads emit water when you turn shower on? Can't see how you'd select between them?

http://www.tapwarehouse.com/product/vellamo-quadro-square-thermostatic-shower-kit

28 minutes ago, Chick said:

we've got the Aqualisa Digital shower, you set the temperature & press one button for the normal shower with the flexible hose and can only change to the rainshower setting by pressing another button so no mistake can really be made (and a 5 yr guarantee) 

I saw those on Victoria Plum and it looks fab. Far too rich for my wallet for this project though sadly although that button set is perfect.

spoke to my folks last night. They wanted what they are used to which is a flexible hose and a tap but I think I've persuaded them that fixed head and flexible hose will achieve the same but give them more options (and look nicer)

33 minutes ago, Chick said:

we've got the Aqualisa Digital shower, you set the temperature & press one button for the normal shower with the flexible hose and can only change to the rainshower setting by pressing another button so no mistake can really be made (and a 5 yr guarantee) 

Our next project is the second bathroom being re-fitted.  I am going to keep that in mind because I like that a lot....

• 3 months later...

okay so i have a week off this week. I'm already half way through it. And the entire rest of the time will be taken up finalising the contents of the wet room.

the tiles are sorted the flooring is sorted.

That leaves sink, toilet. shower stuff

as well of course the folding shower seat and grab handles etc. Shower seat I've seen a few (will run my finalised choice by you gents imminently).

my major preoccupation is the toilet. I'll post a couple pics below. As you can are the soil pipe is concreted in vertically on one side. It is very close to the wall.

A mate suggested as I'm after the polyflor I should go for a wall-hung toilet so there is no screw going into the floor as a potential source of leak-damage etc.

The floor installer though says it isn't as much of a big deal as long as the toilet contact with the floor is sealed with silicon not screws.

what do you chaps advise? As you can see it's a small room and i am worried the frame for the concealed cistern might take up more space, but everything I read online says an advantage of wall hung toilets is space saving??