Bloodbath....

Arch

• 2 weeks later...

So, just over a week in, here's my thoughts. Love it. :grin: 

I took the FD2 out last night, as a time waster came to look at it :rolleyes:, gives a good opportunity for a back to back assessment. The Type R has the edge on feel, probably a given, but you really do know everything that's happening underneath you. I know exactly where the car is going and how much grip (lots) i have. On the flip side of that, you feel EVERYTHING, every last little bit of grit, change in surface, so jiggly and bumpy is the ride on the stock suspension. I've not yet gained the confidence in the 1er though the corners, it's just a bit 'numb' in comparison and you can't quite get a handle on what it's doing through that oh so feelsome  chunky wheel. Seats are great for standard, didn't spec electric or lumbar which i was worried about but as it's only me driving, I seem to have got it just right and even with my glass back, i've yet to feel any discomfort. Driving position seems great, bolsters squeezing me in, visibility is better than the Civic with the screen closer, less dash out in front and a smaller A pillar. The gadgets and tech are a little distracting but that's coming from pretty much nothing so to suddenly have DAB, nav, bluetooth, streaming music, USB, iDrive and all that stuff is like oooh, look at all this shiny stuff with pretty pictures. 

The power. Oh the power. :o Even being all 'running it in' sensible (which the dealer said there is no need to do...) it's incredibly quick, almost shat myself the other day trying Sport+ and the paddles.:roflmao:Still glad I picked the auto box, first weeks commute was a dream in comparison, even like the stop/start. I'll continue to keep it reigned in until I've hit the 1000-1200 mile mark. Brakes seem good, not used them in anger yet like i would late braking in the Civic but I reckon they're more than up to the job. Still very pleased with the Bloodbath spec. Took a couple of pics whilst out and about. Pulling out the entrance to where i was and driving up the road, the exhaust was growling and crackling, sounds so good. 

Mperformance black grills and AutoID carbon mirror caps were fitted on day two. More mods in 24hrs than the Civic saw in 7 years. :) 

M140i_zpsjmqmlahi.jpg

97e7fb16-047a-473f-9386-cc05d43a57b4_zps

• Like 2

Think you shat yourself on 'running in' sport+, you're in for a shock at full throttle. I don't use sport+, ever! Flicking the gear stick to the left in sport mode is enough for me on our roads.

I do agree with all your observations though. Steering is a bit too numb in comfort mode I feel as well. I specced lumbar support this time around as coming from a previous M135i that didn't have it, sitting was a bit uncomfortable on long journeys so had to have it this time. Glad I did now. All in all, for what I paid. I'm still loving it 3k miles in.

• Like 2

I have had the M235i for 1 year now and very pleased with the overall package dominated by the engine and driving experience. Happy with all the options I chose also although HK sound system is average but couldn't live with the standard audio.

The only downside which can be managed with less lead in the foot is the MPSS tyre performance in cold and wet conditions due to the very small drainage channels, in the snow it's a joke as I found out. Over the last few weeks with warm, dry and sunny days they are amazing and all is forgiven :)

Need something bigger when the lease runs out in 2019 and seems the new 3 series will be out then with talk of an M350i :)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

So, with a Type-R safely back on the drive, Bloodbath has gone. It was a lovely car but after 10 months i realised it just didn't float my boat enough to be paying for it for another 3 years. There was no excitement unless going warp 9 in a straight line. Pure ballistics didn't cut it. I literally drove it to and from work, it sat there at weekends as i had no desire to take it out for a hoon. It was much more GT than hot hatch, very easy to drive, very comfy to commute in, auto box was great in traffic but it didn't make me feel alive driving it. I also missed having something a bit noisier, more shouty and more individual rather than "There's another 1 series, and another, oh and another....." 

I look outside now at the black winged beastie and just smile and giggle like a child. :grin: I know it's not to everyone's taste, the whole "covered in glue and ram raided Halfords" looks etc. but i happier than ever and still can't quite believe it's mine. :cool: 

• Like 6