First impressions of a Mk5 R32 by a GTI driver...

RedRobin

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

When your gunning up a sliproad to join the motorway and you accellerate hard into the fast lane (in say 5th) and keep accelerating until your passing traffic, paying more attention to the road than your speedo. You think your doing about a ton, cause that's what a ton feels like in some other cars, but when you glance down it's nearer 115-120mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kidding me about actually pulling that sort of stunt aren't you? EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

eer what stunt confused.gif

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, while I remember, he used the sitting in an aeroplane analogy........

Average cruising speed of a passenger jet is around 500 knots, and take off rotation speed is about 180 knots......

Which one feels faster? Take off or Cruising.........

Exactly!

[/ QUOTE ]

The cruise feels faster.

[ QUOTE ]

MrMe is just trying to hi-jack a thread and tell everybody he has a 6 series (ugly).

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif

You must be reading a different thread to me tongue.gif

I can see why I avoid this forum now, I thought some Audi owners were a bit wrapped up in their cars......

My 2p worth, if you can pootle along at 120mph on a public road and be completely blasé and unaware of your speed then you're a danger to yourself and others. No matter what car you're in, the road and other cars still comes at you at the same speed and the scenery goes past at the same speed. If you can't recognise that..... confused.gif

I have driven and been driven at 120 mph and above in various cars (all on private roads tongue.gif) and I can safely say I was acutely aware of the speed I was doing.

DHA you must be flying Air wales, if you think that cruise feels faster than take off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Milo in refernce to your comment:

I can safely say I was acutely aware of the speed I was doing.

Did that have anything to do with looking at the speedo, by any chance? or did you judge that by "g" force experienced or maybe it was the "speed" that the scenery flashed by?

Try the same thing with a blanket over your head in the passenger seat, and then safely say what speed you are doing...........

I think what Leman originally commented on was, travelling down a motorway, not private roads or anything else, and suddenly being aware of travelling at an excessive speed.

anybody who drives any sort of performance car, and says they have never done it, must belong to the phoney hair school of straight talking.........

[ QUOTE ]

Totally agree LeMan too! MrMe is just trying to hi-jack a thread and tell everybody he has a 6 series (ugly). We all know its so easy to creep over speed limits in a well built modern car. You just don't feel you are going as fast as you realy are, in a well sorted modern car.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with hijacking a thread and was a fair and reasoned discussion until you once again waded in with your petty insult hurling at other users cars.

If you want to continue with the 6-series jibes, come to me when you have something sensible to say and can demonstrate even a semblance of intelligence, wit or control over your playground antics.

I'll leave you all to it. Don't forget to tell Mummy what you want in your packed lunch box tomorrow though.

ok, so people have different opinions about sensation of speed, what about Red's comments about handling of the R compared to the upgraded GTI handling ?

I loved the way the R felt during the TD, so much so that it sold itself over my current WRX straight away. and that was after driving manual & DSG GTI's. for me the heavy feel of the MK5 R was a good thing, it came across as totally planted and the rearward power shift in the corners felt very simliar to the V6 4mo I had before the Subaru. didn't notice a huge difference between versions 1 & 2 of the 4motion but I'm no expert on either.

wonder if Koni FSD will be available for the MK5 R in due course ?

sounds like they work a treat for the GTI 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Leman & Chrisbuer 169144-ok.gif

Do you partake of the undertaking manouvre at 110 plus, when you get the nob in the cloth cap hogging the outside lane at 70, coz that is the maximum speed limit, which cannot be exceeded, so you are therefore not entitled to overtake me, fellow motorist....... johnny.......

I promise not to tell anyone, if you dont.............. SPericani2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why of course...but not at 110...80mph is normally enough tongue.gif

I normally give them a gentle flash first as I approach (if they aren't waiting to overtake and if the left hand lane is clear). If they don't move over, I'll safely and swiftly use the other lane (even though you're not meant to).

Yet another plug for the GTI here:

I`ve not long been in from work (afternoons today), and on the way home, even in spite of the cold slippery roads, I could NOT resist in taking the GTI for a spin around my favourite local "circuit" grin.gif

Actually, the fact that it was cold, but dry, and a bit slippery, made things even more fun ! I kept seeing the traction control light flickering on the dash, and just revved the baby even more !

The roads were quiet because of the time of night, so I was able to thoroughly enjoy the GTI, and marvel again, at what it can do, and lets you get away with.

To me, this is the enjoyment in driving, when the car is a little "out of shape", with a bit of a shimmy from the front, then the back, and then floor it with a bit of wheelspin thrown in.

It has to be remembered, that it`s not every car around that will allow you to get away with these shenanigans, and that is one of the finest things about the GTI; ie, even when you take away the quality and refinement, the excellent fuel consumption, the low depreciation, and the practicality, you just have a car that is pure, unadulterated,.................FUN ! bowdown.gif

I know that it's sometimes entertaining and that it's inevitable that we disagree about some aspects of cars or driving etc but it only encourages anger and bad feelings once someone (in this case spankit) starts getting personal. Whether one agrees with MrMe or not, I cannot see how beautiful or ugly a BMW 6-series is has got anything to do with this thread and expressing such a view potentially antagonises. I think that MrMe is just trying to join in our discussion and I can't see any hi-jacking going on.

The real point is that we were discussing/debating the merits and problems of driving a performance car such as the R32, particularly in comparison with the GTI, in such circumstances that it can be more difficult to assess exactly how fast we are actually travelling. Some cars caccoon the driver more than others. However, the bottom line is that it is still the responsibility of the driver to be aware of everything possible whatever the circumstances are and to drive accordingly.

On this occasion I can see both the points that LeMan and MrMe are debating and it's better for us all if it remains just a healthy debate or discussion rather than 'you're a hi-jacker who drives a big ugly car'. I'm sorry, spankit, I have no wish to come down on you personally but am just expressing my opinion as respectfully as I can.

I've just returned home and don't know why but the last few posts didn't appear until after my words above. The 'problem' has now gone away 169144-ok.gif so let's just ignore this post by myself.

[ QUOTE ]

wonder if Koni FSD will be available for the MK5 R in due course ?

sounds like they work a treat for the GTI 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....I'm told that they definitely will be but I don't know when. AwesomeGTI are likely to know in due course.

I can understand why anyone would find that the heavier feel of the Mk5 R32 is a good thing and I think I have already offered my opinion that this 'weight' works best at higher speeds. Please remember that I have offered this 'review' essentially as a comparison between the the two Mk5 Golfs - R32 and GTI. Also, this is only my individual perspective and opinion which no-one has to agree with.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

When your gunning up a sliproad to join the motorway and you accellerate hard into the fast lane (in say 5th) and keep accelerating until your passing traffic, paying more attention to the road than your speedo. You think your doing about a ton, cause that's what a ton feels like in some other cars, but when you glance down it's nearer 115-120mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kidding me about actually pulling that sort of stunt aren't you? EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to say, in the right car, it's easily done. I remember one time I was in the Mazda, on the nice big sweeping left where the M69 joins the M6. I was enjoying holding the car nice and stable around the big sweeper, then as you join the M6 it opens out, I saw in my mirrors the M6 was clear, and gunned it. Was having a whale of a time, then I spotted a police car sitting on the bridge just ahead.... Looks at speedo - well over 130. dung.gif Hard on the anchors down to 80. Fortunately he was watching traffic the other way - narrow escape.

Si.

Can't say I've ever gotten up as fast as 130 by accident but it is easy to let speed drift up in a modern car, I'd say up to 90 just doesn't feel that fast and if there are not a lot of visual clues (other traffic, scenery going past) it can be harder to realise that you are going fast. Once past 100 though I find that everything is soo fast that you certainly feel it from the visual clues more than the car. Of course, on an empty, straight road you may lack some of those.

I use the speed alarm on the GTi to give me a gentle reminder when I'm pushing a bit too far.

I think it depends a lot on how fast other traffic is going. Cruise at a 100 for 5 miles, then try going at 70, it feels like 40.

Also IMO, it depends on how you're feeling (tired, phsyed etc), how fast other cars are going, weather (cause we all now our cars are faster when the sun is shining grin.gif) and most importantly, how much BPM your ibiza trance music has (grin.gifgrin.gif)