I have a confession...

Pincher

I have had something on my mind for a few weeks now and I think it's about time I got it off my chest.

Deep breath - here goes. I think I may have certain feelings for .............. a Volvo EEK2.GIF . An S40 to be precise.

I noticed one a while back and remarked to myself that it looked nice but didn't think much more of it. Then, last week, I was reading my local paper and there was an advert for a nearby Stealer with a pic of an S40 T5, which set me thinking again.

On the train home tonight, there was another ad for the Stealer and, as I had to get a different train line to work this morning because my line was broken, I had to actually drive past said Stealer. So I stopped. And I went in. And I got some brochures. And a price list. And I gave the salesman my phone number to arrange a test-drive UHOH7.GIF

I should point out that I also quite liked the look of the V50 Estate.

Should I go and see a doctor?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I think Volvo's have come on leaps and bounds.

Not that we're about to buy the wife one of course, nothing like that.

No, no hypocrasy from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, which one have you ordered??

[/ QUOTE ]

We haven't yet, but we're not actually looking at new either.

She's been to see an 18 month old XC90, which I've promised to go have a scout over tomorrow at some point.

te S40 T5 is a really good rounded car, test drove one a couple of months back and i was impressed, much sharper handling than i was expecting. I was at one point seriously thinking taking out finance to buy something like a 1 year old, as they're incredibly well priced for what you get, but the boring bit of my brain slapped me with reality of 5 years of finance....

I'd go for it if you want a subtle performance saloon 169144-ok.gif

Nice cars the new S40. My mum has a newish 2.4 Auto with leather etc.

It handles pretty well and is very comfortable. Oh and the "floating" centre console is a very neat idea.

There are some bargains to be had as well. Her car new had a list price of £24,000, she brought it pre-registered with 100 miles on the clock for £17,000.

Bikers hate them, mainly historical reasons, you know that Volvo's used to be:-

*Driven by feck wits who couldn't drive

*Feck wits like tank levels of protection

*Feck wits like crashing into others, hurting the 3rd party and walking out of the Volvo wreck saying "I didn't see them"

Volvo's have come a long way, little bro has a T5, it's okay, but it is a Volvo.

Why is it that when ever I think of Volvo I conjure up an image of Vulva?? Something to do with Volvo's of old, being driven by dead heads who act like total tw4ts, I think.

I have fond memories of going to bike shows. At one event, on a stage was a front door with letter box. The competition was to guess how many hours it would take a dozen or so Hells Angel types to break up a 240DL and post it all via the letter box, damn strong car, took 2 show days of 12 hours each to do it.

Sorry the new ones are good cars, then again some people do buy French cars NONO3.GIF

I had a look at the S40 when I was looking at the sportback. Its a nice car but other than the T5 the other engines are a little on the ordinary and the handling isn't what you might describe as sparkling.

Have a test drive of it and see what you think. One thing I will say is that the stereo in them is amazing.. kicks the hell out of BOSE and day of the week. 169144-ok.gif

In my search for a replacement car for my wife, I have quite a little story brewing about my Volvo Dealer experience.

It's, ermmmm, a challenge. I'll save it until I get to the end of our 'quest' though. Right now, I feel like Mallory at the foot of Everest (before he fecking fell).

[ QUOTE ]

The T5 is excellent. Top tip, When your going along the motorways wear a white shirt and black tie and suddenly everyone will drive perfectly around you. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't that outfit clash with the headscarf and the court shoes, though?

Seriously, I hear they're good. Not my style, but if you like it then go for it. And if others aren't happy with the image your new car projects, tell them to **** off.

(experience gained from two years of Porsche ownership wink.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

You have to be retired to drive a Volvo - surely crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what Fatcat, you can go off people........ fekr.gif

I got all those sorts of comments from my mates when I got the V70 - I would love to have seen their faces when I put my foot down - unfortunately they were just a dot in the rear view mirror! I agree that it's hardly got a "young" image but I need something that will swallow big bits of furniture, bags of garden stuff and whatever else I throw at it and won't break down every five minutes. The fact that I've got nearly 300bhp to play with means that I can still get a certain amount of enjoyment from driving without losing the practicality I need.