I am regretting it already!

gizze

Well Guy

From personal experience you will never get over selling the CSL I still hav'nt. But as I am in Edinburgh I will be sure to let you know every time I see and hear Jonathan rip past me. Just think how lucky you are to have even driven a CSL never mind owning one. bowdown.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Well Guy

From personal experience you will never get over selling the CSL I still hav'nt. But as I am in Edinburgh I will be sure to let you know every time I see and hear Jonathan rip past me. Just think how lucky you are to have even driven a CSL never mind owning one. bowdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm taking my CSL over to Edinburgh next month with me, keep an ear free and you might hear me ripping along George Street!! grin.gif

Gutted! Sorry you couldn't justify keeping the CSL for weekend thrills and buying a third car as a run-about like an E36/E46 for the wife whilst you nicked the 120d to munch miles.

However, even doing low weekend mileage, I appreciate the running costs are huge. You can buy entire cars for £1884. UHOH7.GIF

Ian

Exactly, I just can't justify the running costs as a thrid car, £100 a month extra for warranty, £210 a month for insurance, £60 a month servicing, £30 a month for tyres, £400 a month on repayments plus whatever fuel you use and any unexpected costs.

Not a cheap car to run, worth it in every way as it is awesome, but hardly cheap.

Plus I had money sitting in that car, that I needed to use to buy something else.

Hi all

I am the lucky new owner of Guy's car. I have read all your comments and please be assured that it has gone to a good home that will particularly appreciate Guy's efforts into making it a special example.

As I write I am doing a few cosmetic things to enhance it. As guy mentioned there was a wee dent in the wing which has now been removed by Dentmaster... great job and value for money. Being a bit anal about cars it is off tomorrow to have its wheels refurbished and rear bumper done and that's it back to new!

Once I know how I plan to remove the seat and adjust it so that it gives me more support. Hopefully this is not too difficult and half an hour with some spanners should do the job. Any guidance welcome!

I have just sold my 997 TT and this is quite a contrast from that. Having had my first venture on Tuesday morning it deserves total respect as the roads up here in Edinburgh are very slippy just now.

I keep finding myself nipping out to the garage to take a look at it. It is finished in Silver Grey and looks very well.

Plans at some point will be to put some RS29 pads, hoses and fluid into it but as it will be some time until this is necessary and due to the fact that for the road the brakes are fine i shall probably wait until spring.

Really enjoyed meeting you Guy and I hope that all is well with your new S4

Regards

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Glad you came on here. The seat has to come out to adjust it, there are four bolts and takes 5 mins, be sure to disconnect the battery first as there may be an airbag sensor, but think it is just the passenger seat that has this? but better safe than sorry.

You can then raise or lower the front of the seat a fair bit, I think at the moment the front is at its highest point, but probably wrong.

The S4 is nice, but it's no CSL that's for sure. wink.gif

Nice to see another CSL owner aboard! 169144-ok.gif

Hope you're enjoying the new purchase. Must be a shock coming from the traction and power delivery of the 997TT, the architect we use has just taken delivery of his 997 TT in GT Silver, and according to him it's the most astonishing car he's ever owned...... cool.gif

All the best with your new car......watch out for kerbs, they can be sore on your front bumper..... UHOH7.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Hi all

I am the lucky new owner of Guy's car. I have read all your comments and please be assured that it has gone to a good home that will particularly appreciate Guy's efforts into making it a special example.

As I write I am doing a few cosmetic things to enhance it. As guy mentioned there was a wee dent in the wing which has now been removed by Dentmaster... great job and value for money. Being a bit anal about cars it is off tomorrow to have its wheels refurbished and rear bumper done and that's it back to new!

Once I know how I plan to remove the seat and adjust it so that it gives me more support. Hopefully this is not too difficult and half an hour with some spanners should do the job. Any guidance welcome!

I have just sold my 997 TT and this is quite a contrast from that. Having had my first venture on Tuesday morning it deserves total respect as the roads up here in Edinburgh are very slippy just now.

I keep finding myself nipping out to the garage to take a look at it. It is finished in Silver Grey and looks very well.

Plans at some point will be to put some RS29 pads, hoses and fluid into it but as it will be some time until this is necessary and due to the fact that for the road the brakes are fine i shall probably wait until spring.

Really enjoyed meeting you Guy and I hope that all is well with your new S4

Regards

Jonathan

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jonathan,Is it a "come down" or "come up" from the 911TT?. 169144-ok.gif

Hi Guy

Are the bolts on the underneath or perhaps behind a side panel. I think I read somewhere that the seat is side mounted.

Just got a quote to gave armourfend fitted to the front bumper. Think I will do it given that they are prone to chips.

The more I think about it the less I am driven to take it on the track. It is almost too nice to have detiorated so quickly along with the added risk of a prang. Still when the sun shines my mind may change.

Regards

J

John Nice to have you on board mate! 169144-ok.gif

I saw your car sitting on the Pagani forecourt and advised Guy about it before he took delivery so I can certainly vouch for it. Fantastic car!

I am very interested to hear some comparisons you have when comparing it to the 997. Obviously its not as quick in a straight line... But which is more fun! 169144-ok.gif

Hi

Do be honest I am not sure yet how it compares. I have only driven it a few miles on cold damp roads.

I am lucky enough to have had a range of 911 Carreras (996 Targa, 2 996 TT, 2 997 C2S, 1 997 C4S and a 997TT) They were all good cars, but the turbos are always a bit special. Their looks and outright pace coupled with almost invincible traction makes it a tremendous car to drive in any situation.

My last 996TT had a DMS 520HP upgrade, that just made me laugh it was so quick. The 997C4S is all you really need in the real world and the 997TT is just greed, but what a feast of fun!

I took the 997TT to Oulton Park in October and November and really enjoyed it there. By comparison to my local track, Knockhill, it was tremendous and with no insurance made it all quite exciting. It was so good that I returned in November when the track was wet and this time insured but with a £10K excess... yes I hear you take a deep breath, but the upside is that if something terrible happened you at least get £93K back! The car was great and the brakes never faded even at the hands of a very experienced French Britcar racer who took me for a balls out drive in my own car. Another one of these things that if you thought about it you would not let a stranger driver your car, but hell it was excellent. At times you think hey I am an allright driver as the 997TT eats most things on the track, but then you sit beside a seasoned racer and suddenly you feel rather amateur!

Anyhow re the CSL I have always wanted one. I ordered one new and then changed my mind as I feared that the depreciation would be rather uncomfortable and took the view that I would get one in a few years once they had settled.

I have been on BM3W for years making the odd post and learning and sharing the CSL passion. To me the CSL is about a car that is rare, looks well, drives well, sounds great, practical for two wee kids and a wife (and my wheelchair... broke my back 9 yrs ago!)

It was good that I could buy a car through the CSL community and Guy's car was just the right car at the right time otherwise I would have probably sourced a car through Gareth.

My one problem with the car is that it does not have a door arm rest. This is very important as I rest my arm on it while using hand controls and it also is a brace for cornering. As I cannot really do much about it I will have to focus on getting the seat right in order to give me more support.

The weather is pretty horrible and too early to explore the CSL, meantime I will do the necessary TLC to bring it back to new, not that this is too much as Guy had it looking well.

As we are between cars unfortunately I am going to have to use it as an everyday car until 1st March when we take delivery of a RR Sport HSE for my better half I can then get my A6 Quattro Avant back and bring out the CSL on nice days and maybe track days.

I look forward to sharing my news on the driving experience. I plan to take it into my local dealer to get the clutch/SMG programming looked at. It slurs slightly when changing up gears when on full throttle in S4/5. Fingers crossed that will cure the problem otherwise it maybe a new clutch to make it perfect. It is a difficult call to make as it is a minor issue that can be avoided by lifting very slightly, but is one of those things that may niggle me. I had an E60 M5 and it changed gear rapidly with a clunk and no slur and I believe that is how the CSL should be. I have heard a few methods of alternative ways to sort it and may try them first. E.g. pulling back both paddles for 5 secs then driving hard, or an enthusiastic track day, both perhaps more fun than parting with £85 plus VAT for a reprogramme session.

Wow what a long response, but you did ask the question, off to make a cup of tea while you guys fall asleep reading my rather long post.

Jonathan

I am not sure on the seat adjustment, when you take the seat out you should be able to see the bolts that allow you to adjust the tilt on it. It is very basic and should be self explanitary.

I would take the car out in S6 and hammer through the gears for 10 minutes, do reset the smg by holding both paddles back for a few seconds, but just give it some stick, 2 cars I tried definitely had some clutch slurr, this one seemed fine though, in fact it was only after driving another local one that I realised the first ones I had driven had the slurr. I must say that the gear change in the M6 I took out seemed to be qucker, but I thought that was because it was SMG III, is SMG III quicker?

Hi Jonathan, welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy the CSL.

I've recently had my clutch/flywheel changed under warranty after having the same symptoms as yours. Got the car back last week and the replacement has cured all the problems I had (it really 'bangs' into gear now when being aggressive with it!). I initially tried the SMG 'soft' reset but no joy.