Knocking sound when stearing full locked

S_line682

Hi, I've had my A4 56 plate 2.0Tdi s line multi-tronic for just over a year now and noticed that when my steering is full locked it makes a knocking sound as if I am running over something, this normally only happens when I start the car on a cold day, I did notice it last year but did not have the time to take it back in or ask. Has anybody else experienced this? And would you say it was covered by the warranty if I were to book it in.

All advice would be greatly appreciated as I’ve not had much experience of how the warranty works.

Thank you in advance.

hi mate, the steering rack thingy is a known issue. i've never arsed getting it sorted. mines an 06 plate cab and it does it on full lock when the wheel is turned to the right, but not the left.

its most annoying in NCP car parks as you typically have to turn right to go up. so by the 9th floor its doing your head in!! grin.gif

Audi chester did say theyd look at it for me under warranty, but i dont like not having my car, so have never had it fixed.

I had mine sorted out, a 2.4 B6 cab , back in 2003. Same problem and I had to have a new steering rack under warranty. Something to do with the hydraulic pipes not being able to transfer fluid quickly enough around the system which effectively causes the groaning sound under certain full lock situations.

The problem originated on the B6, not sure if it is associated to the heavier engine B6s but I thought Audi had sorted the problem on the B7, obviously not.

MIne had a similar problem (2004 B6)

replaced a 'worn' driveshaft ( about 13k miles! )

then they tried a lower suspension arm and that seemed to be better ....but it still feels a bit odd sometimes on full right lock. At first MOT the tester found that one of the front ARB bolts was missing.......

I've been having a similar issue, but the noise is there all the time. Turns out my fan belt tensioner was knackered, and I needed a new one plus I had the belt swapped, although I went through a few belts and now just about to replace the tensioner for a genuine Audi one as I still have the problem. Didn't realise a drive belt could make such a horrendous noise!!! I hope this new one sorts it, otherwise I am getting seriously worried its my rack. How do I know if its the rack or not?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

I have a A4 2002 and am out of warranty. Have the same clicking noise when turning right, happens mostly in NCP car parks as stated. Has anybody had this issue fixed out of warranty and what sort of costs did you have?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Clicking noise could be a CV joint frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I have a A4 2002 and am out of warranty. Have the same clicking noise when turning right, happens mostly in NCP car parks as stated. Has anybody had this issue fixed out of warranty and what sort of costs did you have?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So can i assume that is bad news? Sorry don't know much about CV Joints. confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So can i assume that is bad news? Sorry don't know much about CV Joints. confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Best to get it checked out

Does the knocking only appear when you press the accelerator ? Try a tight right turn with no power (ie press the clutch once the car is moving at a reasonable speed then do the turn with the clutch still pressed). If it's a CV (constant-velocity) joint you shouldnt hear anything. Worn joints usually only click when you put power through them.

[ QUOTE ]

hi mate, the steering rack thingy is a known issue. i've never arsed getting it sorted. mines an 06 plate cab and it does it on full lock when the wheel is turned to the right, but not the left.

its most annoying in NCP car parks as you typically have to turn right to go up. so by the 9th floor its doing your head in!! grin.gif

Audi chester did say theyd look at it for me under warranty, but i dont like not having my car, so have never had it fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah mine too, right lock only and it feels like I have run over something....I'll get it booked in.

• 2 years later...

I think we may have strayed from the subject as it regards the knocking noise on B6 or B7 Audi's. I have owned a B5 RS4 for the past 8 years and have never experienced this problem in the 77 thousands miles that I have had it. (That despite having over 560 bhp!)

Unfortunately I also run a B7 1.8T, and the noise it make on full lock is unacceptable. I too found all the anti-roll bar nuts loose, however having tightened them back, the noise is even louder! As someone previously outlined, it only happens when full lock is applied (to both left and right). The sound is a distinctive knock, or clunk, loud enough to make you exit the car to see if anything has fallen off. The lower stabilizer arms bushed do look slightly worn, so I intend to order and replace them. (I say 'slightly' as I can only see surface crack.)

I have ruled out the suspension mountings as the four link suspension enables the shock absorber to stay stationary (ie it does not rotate as in a McPherson suspension arrangement). When it does knock on the drivers (right hand) side, you can actually feel it just under your right foot. Has anyone have any clues or experiences with repairing this defect?