V+ box (Virgin media version of Sky+)

Hopsta

The main reason for me getting this was for recording as I don't have HD TV in the lounge as of yet (Brucey didn't quite come in as I'd hoped tongue.gif)

First impressions are that the software is slower than the standard Samsung box I've got. Engineer said that this was to do with is downloadning all of the interactive stuff, I have a 'online'light flashing has been for about 2 hours now, does that sound right?

The controller has a strange layout IMO for channel up/down and volume up/down, I guess that this is something I'll get used too.

The old box is now installed into the bedroom and all rigged up, but now i've got to wait upto 24 hrs for it to be seen on the network again, so have an anoying message pop up when I change channels and can't get all the ones i'm subscribed too, but this should resolve once registered I guess??

The V+ part of it seems pretty good, can record 2 channels and watch a 3rd at the same time, although you can't record 3 at once and watch nowt which I find bizare. The standard 80hrs store should be more than sufficient for my needs, plus have the option to burn off to DVD/VCR.

I noticed that there is a USB/Ethernet socket, I assume that this is for the integrated modem?? (already have seperate one and will keep it that way)

Any quirks I should look out for? my old box was tempermental with the guide/interactive stuff but I guess that is more related to the network itself than the unit.

Will plus in the samsung 19" via HD to see what the crack is 169144-ok.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had this for a few months now and found it to be awesome. No troubles as of yet and now find the "old" remote annoying to use with all the buttons in the wrong place ROLLEY~14.GIF

The storage is ample (espescially when she keeps deleting my random recordings)

Haven't sampled any HD yet, but PZ70 is on my birthday list grin.gif

The record 2 channels and watch another is one extra receiver over the sky+ and you can pause and rewind the channel you're watching too. But doesn't really explain why you can't record three at a time.

EDIT to add: If you have Large tv package you don't have to pay the £5 per month charge

Still have the flashing online light ROLLEY~14.GIF, been on the phone to Virgin and after 20 mins i'm now have to wait 3 working days for a tech to call me back, not happy. Fecking installer bloke knew it wasn't right and lied to me, swtiflty before he fecked off! This is a common issue with the box's after skooting about the web. The box hasn't got an IP or have QOS setup so I assume this is why it's not working, sadly the call centre couldn't grasp what I was saying (probably off the 'flow chart')

2nd box is not working right, only getting basic channels when it should be the full shabang.

V+ thing is pretty cool, have tried it out last night and i'm impressed. Plugged in the Samsung 19" to watch some BBC HD and it stunning, will just have to wait until finances allow so that I can replace the lounge CRT.

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT to add: If you have Large tv package you don't have to pay the £5 per month charge

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers for that! I'm on XL and didn't realise this was included. I guess it's time for me to get it.

Do you if there will be any improvement in quality onto my non-HD TV?

[ QUOTE ]

Having used Sky+ before, I wouldn't swap unless you really need the 2 record 1 watch feature.

Can anyone tell me if the slow remote response is normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't recommending upgrading from normal Virgin to V+?

To be honest, we don't record much TV. 'Catch-Up' covers many of the things we miss and I download most of the TV series that we watch. sekret.gif

I just feel we're missing out on the best possible picture quality not having V+ with our HDTV.

Sponge, I misread your post, thought you were on Sky. I think for £75's a good deal, plus you can keep your old box box for £5pm for use elsewhere

Scotty I think that the picture is sligtly better for non-HD, but it could just be my mind playing tricks. I have a 100Hz Sony TV.

[ QUOTE ]

Scotty I think that the picture is sligtly better for non-HD, but it could just be my mind playing tricks. I have a 100Hz Sony TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as me! 169144-ok.gif 36" and I think the Virgin compression and the digitial processing doesn't always help hence I'm after a better signal.

Re your flashing light :

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/104/33626528-got-v-installed-today-whats-flashing.html

Thanks scotty, basically its a install issue, fecking c0ck, the installer, not you tongue.gif

Called up VM to sort out my old box and they've managed to screw up my subscriptions on both the new V+ and the old box. I'm now waiting for a tech to come out first thing tomorrow to sort it all out. He will not be leaving until I have 2 fully working boxes, fortunately I have a late start to sort out the sewage issue in the flat.

its a set install fee of £75 (used to be £150) and then a seperate £5pm to keep the other box and you'll have the same channels on both. Well that's what's supposed to happen anyhow.

I've currently got a credit of £15 for the inconvenience zo far, will be asking for the installation fee back as well if it's not resolved too sweet.

The Father-in-law has had V+ for 10 months now and he can't wait to get rid and return to SkyHD.

The box is constantly freezing, and the menus take an age to scroll through. Has been like this since he had it and the engineers came out to replace the box. Same thing with the new box too!

Just thought I'd let you know of his experiences 169144-ok.gif

Well I had the box replaced this morning, engineer couldn't get the original one to register correctly and shouldn't of been left like that when installed. Took a few phone calls to sort, but thankfully now have 2 fully working boxes and internet.

The slowness of the box is just normal and this is a big complaint from most customers, the older boxes used to be like this so with any luck they'll have a firmware/software update at somepoint to speed it up.

We couldn't do without our V+ box now. The only slow thing I find is changing channels, which is just because it buffers a few seconds before displaying anything. I never use the channel up/down buttons; either enter the channel number or browse the EPG and select the channel there.

I confirmed with VM that I am entitled to the £75 installation and it won't effect the loyalty discount I'm currently getting. It will then be £5 per month.

The £5 will be waved if I move up to the XL TV package, but that will be £9 per month more. We don't need any more channels, but the CSR said we wouldn't benefit from any HD channels unless we upgrade to XL - is that true?

There's currently a 2 week wait for V+ installations. I said I'd sleep on it.

meant to mention that all was working last night, was a pleasure to not have to be on the phone to the call centre.

One word of advice if you're getting the box, do no let the installer leave until all it working. If the 'online' light is flashing then Virgin cannot talk to the box. Check that you have an IP address etc.