Weightlifting and joint pain....

Veracocha

Have always been pretty fit and because I have a fairly slim build have been including weight training into my fitness training now. Now I am increasing the weights I am finding I get an aching in my elbow joints after a hard workout.

Is this doing permanent damage or nothing to worry about? I like being more toned but not at the cost of risking arthritis!

[ QUOTE ]

Have always been pretty fit and because I have a fairly slim build have been including weight training into my fitness training now. Now I am increasing the weights I am finding I get an aching in my elbow joints after a hard workout.

Is this doing permanent damage or nothing to worry about? I like being more toned but not at the cost of risking arthritis!

[/ QUOTE ]

Which exercise is having the bad effect?, Is it tricep extensions?.

It's mainly from doing weight sessions to increase bulk - so more weight and less reps. It isn't agony and goes away after a few days away from the weights. Weightlifting for strength is good but I dont think it is worth having joint problems when I'm older.

Matt, if it got much worse I would consider seeing a doctor but at the moment it is just an irritant. It doesnt really affect my day to day life but I dont want it to in the future.

Doing cardio weight sessions with higher rep numbers is not a problem.

Difficult one Ben to be honest. If it continues to be a problem i would get it checked out, as bone/joint pain can be sign of other problems.

Maybe you are just pushing too much weight too soon? try building it up rather than forcing your body to copy with the max it can take.

There are supplements such as glucosamine that can help as well.

I dont take it too seriously Dave but prob do 2 weight sessions a week along with other CV sessions. I think the problem is that the more you do it the more your will power increases which means you push yourself harder - I have been doing it on and off for about 3 years now. I am not big by body builder standards as I have a slim build.

I don't really want to take supplements either, even though I am sure they work.

I'm a fickle bugger! smile.gif

If it hurts, your body is telling you to stop. Is it in specific joints that you're getting a problem and are you using free weights or machines?

I get occassional problems in one of my shoulders and, after it happened the first time, the physio told me to lay off for at least a week.

One of the things that happens when you start lifting more weight is that your muscles and joints stetch further than when you're doing cardio oriented weights. If you knock back the amount of weight you're lifting and then build up steadily over time, it'll be easier and you'll build more sustainable muscle.

Have you gone straight from doing just cardio to full on three sets of heavy reps, or have you built up over a few weeks?

Do you do three sets of 12, then 10, then 8 reps, getting progressively heavier, or three sets of 10? If neither of these, what routine do you follow?

Hey, loads of questions, but you did ask tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I don't really want to take supplements either, even though I am sure they work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just read Dave's post again - glucosamine isn't a body building supplement - it helps with your joints. You can get it from your local health food shop. And pick up some Vitamin B Complex while you're there - I was amazed when I actually looked at my (bloody good, I thought!) diet and found out how short I was on some essential vitamins and minerals.

I would usually do sets of 10, 8, 6, but the types of exercise I do are usually varied.

The problem comes with free weights in general and the only joints that hurt are the elbows. I dont think bench press, pull ups, bicep curls really help the situation!

I generally build up the weight, and keep on seeing how heavy I can go with 10,8 and 6 so the number of reps really controlls the weight I lift. On the occasion if I go up a weight I may not complete as many reps as required, but then I will go back down to the weight I can manage.

Will have a look into the supplements you mention as my diet has its ups and downs. smile.gif

Wow, I'm really surprised that it's your elbows. Bench press normally kills your triceps and shoulders before anything else - your rotator cuff (shoulder joint) is the one you've got to watch out for.

Going down to 6 reps is not the best thing to do, and you're not pushing your muscles enough (I know, it sounds weird!). From the sound of it, you're going over the top on the weight.

Try swapping to 12, 10 and 8, with the last rep of your set of 8 being the last one you can push out.

Also, do you do proper stretches before you start your training and also afterwards? If you do regular cardio, I'm guessing you do, but it's worth properly stretching afterwards.

Thanks for the advice, it's only my elbows that hurt the rest of me is fine. I'm 27 so should have a few years left before I start crumbling yet!

You are right, I dont warm down enough and don't always do a thorough warm up when I start.

Can you recommend any stretches/excercises that warm up the elbows?

[ QUOTE ]

Don't worry I bloody will! Haha wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ben, You know where i live tongue.gif

I'm 38 and determined to be fit at 40..

Really enjoying my surfing at the moment.. i don't do much, if any, weight work nowadays. I don't feel the need. i rather get fit doing something i enjoy, and 3 hours in the water this time of year gets the lungs going.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Don't worry I bloody will! Haha wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ben, You know where i live tongue.gif

I'm 38 and determined to be fit at 40..

Really enjoying my surfing at the moment.. i don't do much, if any, weight work nowadays. I don't feel the need. i rather get fit doing something i enjoy, and 3 hours in the water this time of year gets the lungs going.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can I forget Dave!

I prefer sports rather than weight training but I am doing both so it stays interesting - if its not interesting its impossible to stick with!

[ QUOTE ]

Can you recommend any stretches/excercises that warm up the elbows?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but they're bloody hard to describe (I've just tried writing how to do triceps stretches and stopped after a couple of minutes!).

I'll try to find some pics 169144-ok.gif

The important thing to remember when stretching before exercise is to not hold a stretch for more than 5 seconds. There's been loads of research done into this recently about whether or not it benefits each muscle to be held for long periods of time.

I'm older than the bloody lot of you on here (yes, even older than Dave (but only just!)) ROLLEY~14.GIF and I really give a sh*t about looking after myself.

Shame I left it so late in life to start when I did three years ago... yelrotflmao.gif