FSI

Henry52

[ QUOTE ]

IIRC correctly RedRobin had a ticking type noise on his Mk5 GTI, which resulted in some gearbox work, DSG too.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Not quite correct, Jimmy. The mechatronics module failure on my DSG box of tricks was a gear selection problem and there was only a momentary click sound at the time of failure.

I think that what's being discussed here is continuous unexpected noise on engine idling when first started and parked. There have been dozens of posts in the GTI forum asking what the GTI's engine's diesel-like 'rattle' is.

169144-ok.gif

....Although Lee and I arrived about half an hour earlier than we had told him, I just missed a sighting. An undercover mission might be needed and so I reckon Jimmy is the man to lead it. I can get hold of some camouflage nets and there's plenty of cover around the location. The stake out could be a long one though - The subject had been in there for a very long time.

But all reports indicate a top notch rating and with good character. Someone may be a bit biassed though at this stage! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Medway, FSI is just a VW Group way of describing how fuel gets injected into the engine (they developed a more efficient way of doing it and used it in the winning petrol Le Mans Audi from a few years ago) - nothing to do with rattles on startup 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mook, my rattle sound is at tickover and has been there since new. When raise the revs the noise goes, which is why I've been wondering if it is a characteristic of the engine. A friend of mine has a MK5 GTI and his engine is also rattly/noisy, but not quite to the extent of the R. I've taken it to VW but they said that it was normal but I'm not entirely sure he was any more clued up than I am. R32's are pretty rare in Doha meaning that I don't have access to another one to compare mine to so it looks like I've got to live with the noise - or maybe I'll just get shot just in case....

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it is not the carbon filter, front LH side of the engine? Makes a ticking noise which is normal.

The 2.0FSI does sound a bit diesel like on idle due to the high pressure injectors. Mine certainly does. Although some seem louder than others.