S6 Fuel Consumption

avantissimo

I did a post a couple of weeks back about getting an S6. Managed to get a really good deal on an ex demo from a stealer with all the extras. I've not bought it yet as I'm trying to get some truth about fuel consumption.

Now, I know its not going to be good, being a 5.2 V10 and all that, but Audi quote something like 29mpg urban and 21mpg average.

I've read some reviews that put it more in the 15 - 17mpg on average which is quite scary.

Anyone got any experience?

Im trying not to let the power, performance and sound of this car overcome the fearsome running costs, so still trying to decide.

Anyone know anything?

[ QUOTE ]

I did a post a couple of weeks back about getting an S6. Managed to get a really good deal on an ex demo from a stealer with all the extras. I've not bought it yet as I'm trying to get some truth about fuel consumption.

Now, I know its not going to be good, being a 5.2 V10 and all that, but Audi quote something like 29mpg urban and 21mpg average.

I've read some reviews that put it more in the 15 - 17mpg on average which is quite scary.

Anyone got any experience?

Im trying not to let the power, performance and sound of this car overcome the fearsome running costs, so still trying to decide.

Anyone know anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

cool.gif

Right I have had one for about a week ( before buying the RS4) the handling is "Nose heavy" on corners, and fast tight bends it does NOT like much (some oversteer),however it drives great on open roads.

Gearbox is smooth yet not as Sweet as the latest 2008 BMW 6/5 series.

If driven with sympathy it will return 24/26 on a run, short runs and hard driving........... pick any LOW number.

The car is very quiet and refined and of course finished to a very high standard, no real things to go wrong yet.

The Avant looks great and will hold slight RV over the saloon, BUT the car is a very poor seller, so RV in general will be LOW IMO. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I would have thought high teens or very low twenties would be about right, unless you spend all your time at sub 2k revs on the motorway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, with the same engine in the S8, I averaged (according to DIS) 21mpg over about 11k miles, until I got to the point where I knew it was going, and wanted to enjoy it a bit more, then it dropped to 20.7mpg in the space of another 1000 miles!

In short, when it's used for longer runs where it warms up properly, and can spend a fair amount of time at part-throttle, FSI means it's going to return around 20 to 23mpg. Booting it (which is addictive) can produce some low single-digit mpgs, which hit your averages like a tonne of bricks.

Stop-start in town traffic wuold average under 10 mpg, IMHO.

A motorway run at 80-ish, mostly on part-throttle, would return a fairly respectable 22 to 25 mpg, depending upon conditions (load weight, headwind, hills etc).

If you can't live with anything under 20 mpg, don't risk one unless you know you're going to spend most of your driving time cruising at fairly high speeds (60 to 90).

A guy came in my shop the other day with an avant in dark grey, looked awesome!!

He said it was alright, but would buy something else if given the chance, he said it just doesn't make sense as a complete package, he said the only times he really enjoys it is on the motorway, on the back roads it is far too harsh a ride and you feel you are fighting the front end rounds corners.

Only problem with that is you are only just over 20mpg on a run sat at 85/90mph.

He does 25k miles a year and is showing 14mpg on his, he had his first service just as he finished his selling season back in November, and is just about to go back on the road now, over the last 3 months he has been doing normal driving, been to see family over the other side of the country, so normal (as in non sales rep motorway cruising) driving, and the DIS is currently showing 11mpg.

I honestly can't see the appeal, a 4.2tdi allroad makes far more sense for the large motorway mile muncher, or an RS4 if you want something that has some handling.

I took one out and got to the end of the dual carrigeway and took it straight back again, I had just got rid of the DMS'd 535d at the time and the S6 felt no quicker than that, I didn't really look at consumption I didn't have time, all I could think about was the ride, it really is dire! I honestly thought that maybe the delivery blocks were still in the suspension.

Even the dealer said no one wanted to take the demo car home with them, no one liked it. Says it all really.