Cambridge Autogleam Car Detailing vs ..... 2008

jediknight83

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks JC. I currently use the Autoglym trim and bumper shine aerosol (purple label) which works well but not durable. I'm always open to alternative suggestions. Honeycombe is a pain in the butt! I want an easy to use product - sticking my finger into every hole with an MF to dry is tedious enough without repeating to apply a trim product :)

Haven't been on for a while but just to say a big thanks to Nathan for taking the time and having the patience to restore my RS4 back to its former glory. The jobs was so good I managed two weeks worth and 1200 miles of driving it before it even needed as much as a rinse down.

Still looks the business altough someone has since rubbed against my rear bumper and it is marked, but otherwise better than when I bought it from the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was one of the worst examples of a new car i have seen and Aston should feel ashamed at their lack of quality control!! Normally the new astons i do have a few areas that need attention but this one was a joke.

The following are all un-polished wet sanding marks all on the lower panels or near the edge of panels. you can even see when they have taped off the panel gap and wet sanded up to the tape.. but then not even bothered to polish it back up

NealAstonMartinV8V3.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V5.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V6.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V8.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V12.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V13.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V15.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V16.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V17.jpg

DA sanding marks around the badge

Before

NealAstonMartinV8V.jpg

After

NealAstonMartinV8V2.jpg

Lower front bumper after correcting the wet sanding marks

NealAstonMartinV8V20.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V21.jpg

Other general swirls added by the dealer..some before and after shots. Some of the deeper marks on the boot lid remained after 3 hits with the polisher, they seem to go a little deeper into the composite plastic.

NealAstonMartinV8V22.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V23.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V24.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V25.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V26.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V27.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V28.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V29.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V30.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V31.jpg

But.. after many hours of careful polishing and waxing it looked how an 09 plate car should have looked from the start!

NealAstonMartinV8V33.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V34.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V35.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V37.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V38.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V42.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V43.jpg

NealAstonMartinV8V45.jpg

Thanks for looking

Unfortunately not many photos of this S4 because the paint was much harder than expected so it took 2 of us working non stop for 12 hours to complete it... not much time to mess abotu setting up fancy before and after photos im afraid.

However these are the ones i did get..

Paint was polished with 3m fast cut plus on a megs cutting pad and then finished with menzerna final finish on a polishing pad.

DavidsAudiS4.jpg

DavidsAudiS42.jpg

DavidsAudiS43.jpg

DavidsAudiS44.jpg

DavidsAudiS45.jpg

DavidsAudiS46.jpg

DavidsAudiS47.jpg

DavidsAudiS48.jpg

DavidsAudiS49.jpg

DavidsAudiS410.jpg

thanks for looking

If I'd just spent out on a brand new Aston and it arrived in that condition, I'd be sending it straight back!

Or at the very least, sending them your bill for the fantastic transformation.

yeah i think thats pretty much what happened along with a detailed report that went back to aston martin

Some more great work there Nathan - particularly like that Aston. Had in been thrown through car washes all it's life? Am I right in saying Aston paint is generally fairly soft?

Just a quick question, one of my big frustrations is when I occasionally catch the polisher on some masking tape and some of the adhesive smudges from underneath (3m blue tape). The problem I then have is that to remove the glue off the paint I use a microfibre and some Menz Top Inspection, but then I have to stick that MF in the wash pile because the glue will smudge across the panel if I continue to use it. I guess it's just an experience thing but it happened 2/3 times on me yesterday and it's sooo annoying! Is it just a case of taking more care or is there a better way of cleaning the sticky stuff off?

Some more great work there Nathan - particularly like that Aston. Had in been thrown through car washes all it's life? Am I right in saying Aston paint is generally fairly soft?

Just a quick question, one of my big frustrations is when I occasionally catch the polisher on some masking tape and some of the adhesive smudges from underneath (3m blue tape). The problem I then have is that to remove the glue off the paint I use a microfibre and some Menz Top Inspection, but then I have to stick that MF in the wash pile because the glue will smudge across the panel if I continue to use it. I guess it's just an experience thing but it happened 2/3 times on me yesterday and it's sooo annoying! Is it just a case of taking more care or is there a better way of cleaning the sticky stuff off?

that aston was an 09 plate with about 400 miles on the clock.. all the paint damage was from the factory and the dealers.

yeah some top inspection / IPA is the right way forwards.. i dont have an issue with MF cloths as i have about 100 or more but yeah if you find its smudging then just use a different towel or a clean side... no hidden tricks there that i know anyway

• 2 months later...

Hello. I've been away for a couple of months backpacking round Peru and Mexico. But unfortunately its back to business as usual.

A quick trip away to detail a handful of cars.

First up was a full correction on this Ferrari 308. 1 owner since new and never previously polished. The paint was the hardest I have come across and took several hits with the hardest pad and polish combination to cut back just a few microns through the swirls. 2 days hard work, 2 coats of Vintage wax later and the owner and his friends and family were agreeing it looked better than ever.

HenrysFerraris.jpg

HenrysFerraris2.jpg

HenrysFerraris6.jpg

HenrysFerraris7.jpg

HenrysFerraris10.jpg

HenrysFerraris11.jpg

HenrysFerraris12.jpg

HenrysFerraris13.jpg

Next up was the same treatment for the 1 owner 355. Similar condition to start with but the paint was a little easier to work with, even if the smaller more fiddly panels were not. 1.5 days polishing followed by 2 coats of vintage wax.

Worth saying that both cars were given the 2nd layer after 24 hrs to allow the first layer time to cure. Also both interiors were shampooed and all leather was treated, along with all the usual finishing touches like exhaust polishing, glass cleaning etc.

HenrysFerraris8.jpg

HenrysFerraris9.jpg

HenrysFerraris14.jpg

HenrysFerraris15.jpg

HenrysFerraris16.jpg

HenrysFerraris17.jpg

HenrysFerraris18.jpg

HenrysFerraris19.jpg

HenrysFerraris20.jpg

HenrysFerraris21.jpg

Then a top up for the 360CS you might have spotted in the back ground of one of the 355 shots. I had previously had this car in for a paint correction a few months back and it was still looking flawless after several washes and a few thousand miles.

Then a spot of localised light polishing to remove a few scuffed areas on a Porsche 993 RS that I had also previously corrected and then another coat of vintage.

HenrysFerraris22.jpg

HenrysFerraris23.jpg

HenrysFerraris24.jpg

HenrysFerraris25.jpg

HenrysFerraris26.jpg

And then with all the hard work over it was time to be introduced to a bit of a legend. I couldn't stop grinning like a kid the whole test drive and it wasn't a slow potter round the village either!! This was like nothing else I had ever experienced! (bearing in mind i have also experienced a Porsche Carrera GT round silverstone)

HenrysFerraris27.jpg

HenrysFerraris28.jpg

HenrysFerraris29.jpg

Back soon for a full detail on the F40

thanks for looking... sometimes my job doesn't really feel like 'work'