[Audi A3/S3] S3 stolen

aliAUDI

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S3 theft is unreal at the moment?

This is the first one i've heard of getting lifted to date, have you had a lot of customers coming in and ordering another one?????

The only problem with theft i've really heard about is the silver mirrors geteting lifted, but that's not exclusive to the S3 and was an issue with the old S cars too.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Worrying bit is that the person/car targeted,has more than likely been shadowed on their day to day routine.. openfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I'm always taking note of the cars around me on my daily drive ...

[/ QUOTE ].....Which is what alot more people need to do.Be aware of whats going on out there..

If he's the first owner then his insurance company will buy him a new one in the first year in any case. GAP is only worth it in subsequent years and buy then most people's finance packages have caught up with the depreciation.

Sorry guys but GAP to me is the equivalent of Dixons selling extended warranties at high prices in the 90s. What bugs me now is that even if I don't want GAP I have to sign some silly FSA form.

PS Genuinely sad that the guy has lost such a great car in a stunning colour.

[ QUOTE ]

If he's the first owner then his insurance company will buy him a new one in the first year in any case. GAP is only worth it in subsequent years and buy then most people's finance packages have caught up with the depreciation.

Sorry guys but GAP to me is the equivalent of Dixons selling extended warranties at high prices in the 90s. What bugs me now is that even if I don't want GAP I have to sign some silly FSA form.

PS Genuinely sad that the guy has lost such a great car in a stunning colour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but that really is a load of bobbins. Fair enough first year but after that??

Most GAP policies don't allow you to get on the boat after so long so that is a necessary evil.

I'm not on a finance package so if my car gets nicked at the back end of this year and the insurance co offers me £10k, I take it and get the other £6-7k back from the GAP insurance, all for the princely sum of £110.

Hardly like a DSG ext warranty where you pay something like 25% - 35% of the value of a reasonably low priced product, now is it coffee.gif

Compared to the potential cost & issues around having a Tracker and getting a car nicked, I'd say that GAP is infinitely more sensible. Unless mandated, I wouldn't buy a Tracker under pretty much any circumstances.

I have GAP, but it is a total con - YOu are insuring agains the risk that your inrsurance doesnt pay out enough - So perhaps the insurance insdustry should offer adequate cover in the first place rather than offer reduced cover and then make more from you on another policy to cover their ommissions.....

[ QUOTE ]

I have GAP, but it is a total con - YOu are insuring agains the risk that your inrsurance doesnt pay out enough - So perhaps the insurance insdustry should offer adequate cover in the first place rather than offer reduced cover and then make more from you on another policy to cover their ommissions.....

[/ QUOTE ]

A risk that's known.

It would be nice to have a complete new for old policy throughout the life of insurance of a car but given the value it just won't happen any time soon. Even if it did, you would just pay the additional amount as a fixed additional cost to a premium, as opposed to an optional element.

Can't see how GAP is a con, is just an option that you choose to take or ignore, just like 3PT F&T vs fully comp, protected no claims, add legal cover etc.

[ QUOTE ]

You will be able to buy insurance to insure GAP soon.

Car insurance pays out what it would cost to replace the car. If it doesn't then you are not negotiating hard enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it does, but it only pays out market value at that time, which may be a whole load less £s than the cost of a new replacement (ignoring inflation). What's wrong with paying a few extra quid to get something that approximates new for old confused.gif

Doesn't cost any more than other add ons.

Makes infinitely more sense to me than paying hundreds of pounds for a tracker which might not make one iota of difference in terms of the car being stolen or potentially recovered.

Jeez, I sound like I work in the industry (which I don't) but just looking at things rationally.

Hi everyone,

Firstly thanks for the kind messages of support. As you can imagine I'm not at all happy. I'd also like to point out a few key issues regarding the GAP vs Tracker options.

The Police have hinted that Trackers are not 100% effective in preventing car theft (where professionals are involved). In fact it would appear that thieves seem to have this covered in their repertoire of 'skills'. In many cases it would appear that if they can't get the car out of detection range, they often set fire to the vehicle and other such niceties...so the Police are indicating (the thought of that is even more distressing).I guess you have to ask whether you'd want a car back that would undoubtably have been thrashed or worse.

Insurance companies have to assume that the owner is guilty before proving innocent, this came as a shock to me, which in my case has added to the stress of the break-in and the fact of losing my car. It's going to be a long winded process, which I'm certainly not enjoying one bit.

All I can advise for anyone reading this is read every bit of the small print on the Insurance documents (the additional 6-8 sheets of paper outlining their 'sections' regarding theft, damage etc. In many cases these additional sections are typed in 6pt font(really small) and it's easy to miss vital information that may have been omitted over the phone. Basically most insurance companies will only pay the market value of the car, regardless of it's age (even if it's only 5 mnths old). You can argue this assessed value, but good luck on that. GAP insurance is basically a level of protection against this, but as I am discovering this is not a clear-cut case either. I agree it's not exactly fair that we have take out this extra cover, but that's the world we live in.

Also check your GAP cover, as it has to state 'return to invoice', without this you may as well forget the deposit etc that you put down along with any hope of ordering a replacement. In fact the best you could hope for is to cover your outstanding credit (if any) with very little left for a new car.

The Police have been superb and are doing their best, as is the dealer, but as someone mentioned here, it probably 1000 miles away by now.

As a final warning it would appear that all S & RS series of Audi's are in the HIGH RISK category, according to the government website. I had a look at this and was shocked to see just how many other makes and models are also on the list.

If you're interested check out this link:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/documents/car-theft-index/

Thanks again for you support.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well from my experience insurers have a different list!

According to that list the S3, S4 and RS4 are all high risk, but ...

I could NOT get insurance for an S3 without a Tracker, but for an S4 and an RS4 I've never been asked to have a Tracker and when I did offer to fit one got told there was no need and I would not get a discount if I did have one fitted.

Seems the insurance companies and the Government don't agree with each other ... nothing new there then!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well from my experience insurers have a different list!

According to that list the S3, S4 and RS4 are all high risk, but ...

I could NOT get insurance for an S3 without a Tracker, but for an S4 and an RS4 I've never been asked to have a Tracker and when I did offer to fit one got told there was no need and I would not get a discount if I did have one fitted.

Seems the insurance companies and the Government don't agree with each other ... nothing new there then!

[/ QUOTE ]

That not good news. Better call Adrian Flux before I switch across to an S3. I will already be paying through the nose for pretty much the most expensive hatch on the market, + the steep premium, + the extra 4WD fuel consumption, THEN the cost of a Tracker !!

That could just put me off buying one altogether as you have to draw the line on how much you want to fork out each month for any car,..straw camel back...

I've just noticed that My Mk1 GTI is on the most wanted list.

Also things like very old Polo's and other old cars are Red. Is this list based on how easy it is to nick cars or desirability, or on the actual number of cars stolen.

If it is the latter, surely there aren't that many MK1 GTis left and very few being nicked in a year???

Makes me worry though, mine is as original as when it left the factory, and I am the second owner from new. I would NEVER be able to replace it :-(

[ QUOTE ]

I've just noticed that My Mk1 GTI is on the most wanted list.

Also things like very old Polo's and other old cars are Red. Is this list based on how easy it is to nick cars or desirability, or on the actual number of cars stolen.

If it is the latter, surely there aren't that many MK1 GTis left and very few being nicked in a year???

Makes me worry though, mine is as original as when it left the factory, and I am the second owner from new. I would NEVER be able to replace it :-(

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be partly how easy to nick and how many like you say, as one of the first 'High Risk' cars on there is a Austin Metro 'City' Pre 91 FIREdevil.gifFIREdevil.gif

It's not a case of how easy all cars are to steal. Unless you have the keys to my S3, you would not be able to start the engine. End of. The performance of them make them desirable to steal.

The Metro would have been on there because you could probably just pull out the ignition barrel and hold the wires together, therefore very easy to steal.

Two different reasons, but both high-risk.

[ QUOTE ]

It's not a case of how easy all cars are to steal. Unless you have the keys to my S3, you would not be able to start the engine. End of. The performance of them make them desirable to steal.

The Metro would have been on there because you could probably just pull out the ignition barrel and hold the wires together, therefore very easy to steal.

Two different reasons, but both high-risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about it now it wasn't even that hard. Years back my friend had an MG Metro and you could open / start it with the key from another friends Polo!!

fuel shut off valve somewhere on the car will hamper any thief even with the car keys. speak to a tracker techy (after motion sensors failed to work) he was saying the simple things are the best. the car scum know how to get around all the latest hi tech security, therefore keep it simple.