What lens to have in your kit bag?

CarMad

So you have got the camera taken a few shots with your kit lens but want to do more. But whats good and bad ?!!?

I've been thinking this though admittedly I've not had the camera for long but hey why not. Anyway my mini list of lens is this, all for a Canon 40d so with a 1.6x crop. 169144-ok.gif

10-20mm Sigma f/3.5-5.6 - Nice wide angle lens for some interesting shots.

50mm f/1.4 Canon - Semi portrait / Lanscape

17-85 IS USM Canon - General day to day lens.

70-200L f/4 IS USM Canon - Landscape and Sports

So what do people thing of the above and what would you have in your kit bag ?

[ QUOTE ]

What sort of WIDE are you looking for Bazza ?

Size wise your L is pretty darn big to lug around, how do you find it. I was looking at the 70-200 f/2.8 over the 4 but its almost twice as heavy, but I could put a 2x converter on if I needed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif I'd like a decent quality landscape lens for mountain shots and that sort of thing 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif The L is brilliant but I need to get more use out of it to attempt to justify the price, though saying that it paid for itself on safari - allowed me to keep clear of lions jaws etc yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

10-20mm Sigma f/3.5-5.6 - Nice wide angle lens for some interesting shots.

50mm f/1.4 Canon - Semi portrait / Lanscape

17-85 IS USM Canon - General day to day lens.

70-200L f/4 IS USM Canon - Landscape and Sports

[/ QUOTE ]

I would get the 24-70mm L and the 35mm 1.4L.

Then buy a sigma zoom if you felt the need.

The 24-70l would work really well on a full frame if you ever felt the need, and the 35mm L lens is regarded as the best Canon lens ever made and works really well on a Full Frame and is arguably the only lens you would ever need for a cropped frame.

Buy the 1.8 50mm, it is £49 on ebay and 95% as good as the 1.4.

My lenses on the D300 are...

17-35mm AF-S for everyday.

50mm 1.8 for lower light, although a bit too long for a crop sensor imho.

And about to order a carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 which will make the 50mm redundant unless I need the autofocus of it sometimes.

I will then get the new Nikon 70-200 which is getting stunning reviews.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What sort of WIDE are you looking for Bazza ?

Size wise your L is pretty darn big to lug around, how do you find it. I was looking at the 70-200 f/2.8 over the 4 but its almost twice as heavy, but I could put a 2x converter on if I needed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif I'd like a decent quality landscape lens for mountain shots and that sort of thing 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif The L is brilliant but I need to get more use out of it to attempt to justify the price, though saying that it paid for itself on safari - allowed me to keep clear of lions jaws etc yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bazza, I may have a 17-40 f4L ready to sell soon.

Unfortunately I need to fund an UWA as well as the 24-70 I am after. 169144-ok.gif

I have 30d and a 350d (used mainly for point & shoot).

For my 30d i have the 17-85mm IS fitted most of the time, and have the following when out and about..

Canon 10-22mm wide zoom (which i quite like)

Canon 300mm F4 L which is okay, but am looking to get a faster one soon (maybe the f2.8 400mm if the budget stretches)

I also have 2 macro lenses (60mm and 100mm) that dont get out much anymore.

Wouldn't it be nice if Nikon/Canon could make a 12-400mm f1.8, I'm constantly changing lenses and it's a pain in the backside....you should see the state of my sensor.

I take these everywhere..

10.5 Nikon Fisheye

10-20 Sigma

18-70 Nikon

50mm 1.8 Nikon(a must, lovely and crisp and dead cheap)

80-200 2.8 Nikon stunner of a lens also.

Well I've to the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and Canon 50mm f/1.8 to have a play with until next week. Will see how I get on with them.

The 17-40 L is an option but also a bit of a compromise as its far slower than either of the above but the same price. Guess it depends what you want to do with them. smirk.gif